Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

Had not heard that before. Not a bad idea though.

I was told (by no one offically) that once the 100 block of Kratlli Apartments are gone, Imhoff will curve to the NE, just past Gymnatics and tie into a widend Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by YO MUDA View Post
    I was told (by no one offically) that once the 100 block of Kratlli Apartments are gone, Imhoff will curve to the NE, just past Gymnatics and tie into a widend Constitution.
    interesting .. that would be cool ... having those 2 intersections that close doesn't make much sense ..

regarding the new central plant... is the plan to move the existing physical plant to this new location near the huston huffman? -M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    regarding the new central plant... is the plan to move the existing physical plant to this new location near the huston huffman? -M
    The one on Jenkins? It will remain and still be the main central plant for the campus. The new south central plant will allow OU to construct more buildings since they are currently nearly maxed out with the existing plant. It is also a key component of the Huffman expansion/aquatics center.

that's the one. thanks for the info! -M

Any timeframe on when the new aquatics center will break ground?

Quote Originally Posted by YO MUDA View Post
    Any timeframe on when the new aquatics center will break ground?
    Unfortunately, it's been put on hold indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4OU View Post
    Unfortunately, it's been put on hold indefinitely.
    I know they are still working on fundraising for it. The central plant has to be complete before they can build the aquatics center or the new Sooner Center dorms.

The regents just approved (May 2011) a new Capital Project Plan.

The way they list things out, it's hard to tell what is complete, what's under construction and what has yet to commence.

These are fully funded projects below... Can anyone comment on the status (i.e. yet to start, under construction or complete)?

Wellness & Fitness (Aquatics) Center $38.5 million
    Huston Huffman addition and locker room renovation $10 million
    Student housing renovation $111 million (I know they've done some work but is it complete?)
    Research Campus buildings #4 & #5 $39 & $27 million
    Utility Plant #4 $72 million
    Hester Hall renovation $6 million

Also, in case you weren't aware, Gould Hall is relatively complete and they are starting to move back into it. And Zarrow Hall is pretty much finished as well.

I drove by Gould Hall Friday. It’s a complete transformation from the old ugly eye sore that was the most embarrassing building on campus.
    I would encourage all of you who care about OU to check it out.
    I love the new arched entry way.
    The only thing I saw on my drive by that I didn’t like was the silver panted hand rails.
    A coat of black paint would make them look much better.
    I saw a road maintainer spreading out large DIA gravel at the old O’Connell’s location.
    I took an out of state visitor to the Switzer center. It was not very well air conditioned.
    I was ok but my older guest was not very comfortable.

Gould Hall is a huge disappointment in my opinion. A very bland design for a school of architecture. I've been very disappointed since the first renderings...

So the new pool is fully funded? Any idea when it will be starting?

I think the whole design idea of Gould Hall was to draw people in, and have them move through the arches and into the ground-floor galleries and courtyard. They will be displaying a lot of the student projects (and other works) and those will be very cool to see.

I agree that the outside seems a bit bland but I'll reserve judgment until everything is finished and I can actually walk through it. I know it will feature some very forward thinking elements.

I've been incredibly impressed with virtually every other OU project of late from architecture to landscaping and gardens and especially the interiors. I love to spend time just walking through the campus and buildings... There are so many beautiful spots to take in. And the sheer volume of construction, change and improvement is staggering.

People generally acknowledge that Boren has done a great job down there but the improvement has been so steady over such a long period -- involving around 50 different projects rather than a few, huge ones -- that I doubt many really understand the scope. Over a billion dollars has been spent on that campus in the last 10-15 years! And it's be done on projects like Gould and Zarrow, about $10 to $50 million a throw.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Gould Hall is a huge disappointment in my opinion. A very bland design for a school of architecture. I've been very disappointed since the first renderings...
    Agreed. But it is still a hell of a lot better than that abomination of a building I use to walk by everyday while at OU.

16. Default Re: OU Projects

Are there any renderings of what the new aquatics center would looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    Are there any renderings of what the new aquatics center would looks like?
    http://www.craftontull.com/index.php...udent-aquatics

http://normantranscript.com/local/x9...-to-cost-45-5M

ARDMORE — The Sooner Center student housing project is expected to cost $45.5 million to build, according to a revised guaranteed maximum approved Wednesday by the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents.

The dormitory, which will house OU student athletes and non-athletes, will be built near the corner of Lindsey Street and Jenkins Avenue.

The center will house about 380 students in two- and four-bed units. It also will have a faculty-in-residence unit, a central dining area, computer labs and other features.

An updated “cumulative” guaranteed maximum price is scheduled to be presented to the board in its September meeting.

The OU regents also approved renovation projects for Cate Center, the Max Westheimer Airport, a lecture hall in the Physical Sciences building that’s among the largest on the Norman campus and at the University Club inside the Oklahoma Memorial Union.

Cate Center Building No. 1 at Lindsey Street and Asp Avenue is a former dormitory that will be converted into classrooms and conference rooms and faculty and staff offices for the economics department, Honors College and Advising Center. The project is budgeted at $4.4 million.

The airport’s south portion of the main apron and hangar area will be rebuilt and improved for $1.7 million, and construction for the Lecture Hall 201 in the Physical Sciences building is budgeted at nearly $4 million.

Plans to renovate the University Club are just beginning, starting with the hiring Wednesday of Merriman Associates/Architects from Dallas.

Piers and grade beams are currently being poured at the Sooner Center site with the slab to follow in the coming weeks. By the end of the year there could be 6 floors of steel rising at Lindsey & Jenkins. It will be exciting to watch during football season, and will be very visible to most OU fans going to games.

It will be interesting to see what takes up the retail spaces at street level. Hopefully something better than Subway..

I went inside the new Social work building to deliver some paper work (i am a SW major), and let me tell you, the building is amazing! Such an upgrade. And one of the faculty members told me that we are going to be getting a fountain in the entrance, because another building on campus is replacing theirs with a new one, so we are going to recieve the old fountain.

Also, anyone know what is going on with Dale hall tower? It looks like entire west wall is being renovated or something.

Regarding Dale Hall Tower, it's just a masonry repair project that will cost about $2 million and be complete in April 2012.

Saw bid today for $63M OU Biomedical & Translational Research Center, to be located at HSC, anybody know about this?

Didn't realize they were so close to starting that. I need to post this in the HSC thread as well, because it's a big project:

This project involves the construction of approximately 150,000 gross square feet for the third phase of the Stanton L. Young Biomedical Research Center. The building will be dedicated to biomedical research, cancer, and genetics research. The facility will house research laboratories, and research and building support spaces. The estimated total project cost is $63,000,000

A few days ago noticed the foundation for Sam Bradford’s Heisman statue has been build but I also noticed something new being built on the SE side of the football stadium. Driving by it looked like it had a foundation of about 8’x8’ with rebar showing. This was just a few feet west of Jenkins Street.

Is there anyone who has a clue about what this might be?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    A few days ago noticed the foundation for Sam Bradford’s Heisman statue has been build but I also noticed something new being built on the SE side of the football stadium. Driving by it looked like it had a foundation of about 8’x8’ with rebar showing. This was just a few feet west of Jenkins Street.

Is there anyone who has a clue about what this might be?
    Thanks.
    don't know but i do know the long term plan is for several more statues to be built in that area along with an amatheater ..

one of the statues will be of the selmon brothers ..

Thread Information