Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

Love that idea BG918!

Clearly something has to be done to greatly expand student housing if the university is going to continue to grow. The other option would be to build towers south of Huston Huffman and/or replace Cross Center.

These 380 beds will not do much in that regard. That's only about half of what is in Walker Tower alone.

I'll take some pics soon. Collings Hall looks finished. Gould Hall is almost finished (landscaping underway). Zarrow Hall is wrapping up on the exterior. The art museum addition is finishing up. The south campus energy plant is progressing nicely.

Looks like the next round of construction will be the aquatics center (which will connect to the Huffman Center) and the midrise student housing at Lindsey & Jenkins. After that I have heard the following but am not certain:
    - New student housing south of Lindsey (where the quads are north of the dorms)
    - New student health center replacing Goddard at Elm & Brooks
    - Remodel of GL Cross/Richardson Halls into new science quad on the south oval
    - Remodel of Bizzell Library
    - Remodel of Dale Hall to match look of Gaylord across the oval on Lindsey
    - New parking garage at Jenkins & Page
    - New engineering/technology building at Jenkins & Brooks (NE corner)
    - Expansion at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

Expansion at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

I can tell you that is not on the short list.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I'll take some pics soon. Collings Hall looks finished. Gould Hall is almost finished (landscaping underway). Zarrow Hall is wrapping up on the exterior. The art museum addition is finishing up. The south campus energy plant is progressing nicely.

Looks like the next round of construction will be the aquatics center (which will connect to the Huffman Center) and the midrise student housing at Lindsey & Jenkins. After that I have heard the following but am not certain:
    - New student housing south of Lindsey (where the quads are north of the dorms)
    - New student health center replacing Goddard at Elm & Brooks
    - Remodel of GL Cross/Richardson Halls into new science quad on the south oval
    - Remodel of Bizzell Library
    - Remodel of Dale Hall to match look of Gaylord across the oval on Lindsey
    - New parking garage at Jenkins & Page
    - New engineering/technology building at Jenkins & Brooks (NE corner)
    - Expansion at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium
    Interesting list. It would be impressive to see Dale Hall remodeled to match Gaylord. Collings Hall is finished. I had a class there last semester. They made some nice additions, but it's remodel is nowhere near the calibre of what I thought it'd be.

5. Default Re: OU Projects

Any idea when the aquatics center is supposed to start?

Are they going to knock down the ugly Landscape Dept biulding north of Huff? Looks like an old stable and full of asbestos.

KFOR ch4 has been showing helicopter shots of the O’Connell’s demolition.

Quote Originally Posted by YO MUDA View Post
    Are they going to knock down the ugly Landscape Dept biulding north of Huff? Looks like an old stable and full of asbestos.
    That building does need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    That building does need to go.
    I don't think there are any plans for that building. It will continue to be used by OU maintenance/landscaping.

10. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I don't think there are any plans for that building. It will continue to be used by OU maintenance/landscaping.
    A short term solution would be to do some heavy planting of trees and bushes to mask the building on most sides.

That biulding is full of asbestes. Broken tiles on the floor, and a sign on the exaust fan on the ceiling. "Do not turn on due to asbestes"
    On another subject, I was told they are going to demolish the 100 block of Krettli apartments due to outdated electrics and air/heat issues. I do not know the time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    A short term solution would be to do some heavy planting of trees and bushes to mask the building on most sides.
    Dont think thats going to happen, but they are planting between 70 and 80 trees Monday at Krettli and Gymnatics.

This is what's replacing O'Connell's:
    http://newsok.com/feed/ou-regents-ap..._headline_news

On another subject, I was told they are going to demolish the 100 block of Krettli apartments due to outdated electrics and air/heat issues. I do not know the time frame.
    The sooner, the better. Those were a bit sketchy 25 years ago.

15. Default Re: OU Projects

Very nice

Any idea what they are going to do with the land south of the duck pond where the mosque was torn down?

Any idea what they are going to do with the land south of the duck pond where the mosque was torn down?
    It will be a new, larger mosque.

http://routes.ou.edu/story.php?storyID=348

Thank you BG.

As for the old O'Connells, it's amazing...finally some housing at OU that looks like it will last longer than 20 years, but I could be wrong.

I wish they would have designed all the new biuldings like the old library, or Evans Hall.

21. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    As for the old O'Connells, it's amazing...finally some housing at OU that looks like it will last longer than 20 years, but I could be wrong.
    You aren't. This is going to be a 100-year building.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Hopefully this is the first phase of a larger plan to replace the Cate Center housing south of Lindsey with similar buildings in a similar style.

I could see that, with the way that the South Oval is certainly getting an upgrade all around. I used to almost have to close my eyes when I was walking to a class there...it's like the center of the universe for awful architecture.

Has anyone besides me heard a rumor that they are going to connect IMHOF to Constitution?

Has anyone besides me heard a rumor that they are going to connect IMHOF to Constitution?
    what do you mean with a curve? ..

Thread Information