Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

24. This is the main library: Bizzell. Have you ever seen something so gorgeous? It belongs in Disney World.

The OSU version. Have OU fans ever seen something less gorgeous and so lame?

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I love this! Its part of the new Headington Hall at OU.

Its called the Guardian. Its a very nice touch IMHO.
    It's a replica of the statue atop the State Capitol, FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    24. This is the main library: Bizzell. Have you ever seen something so gorgeous? It belongs in Disney World.

The OSU version. Have OU fans ever seen something less gorgeous and so lame?

Well when you compare a pic from the spring with nice clouds in the background with a cool photo filter to a winter pic without any filter...you can certainly make them look quite different.

OSU's building is nice, but I prefer Bizzell to any building on OSU's campus. I'm a little biased though. I helped write that article.

Private development continues at the OU Research Campus. If they can also land the GE research facility that would be a major win.

New office complex being built in Norman | NewsOK.com

It's been a year since i was working with the OU Research Campus, but at that time, they were just waiting for the Ancor tenant for 5 Partners Place, and 6 Partners Place was in the early design phases. so i'm sure they are well beyond that phase for it by now

I thought the announcement for the new GE energy research center location was going to be made by now?
    I would like to know what the hold up is... but I hope they are not have second thoughts about our area?
    An OU location for this new GE venture gives the biggest bang possible to our entire state.

I thought the announcement for the new GE energy research center location was going to be made by now?
    I would like to know what the hold up is... but I hope they are not have second thoughts about our area?
    An OU location for this new GE venture gives the biggest bang possible to our entire state.
    I thought it was said that the site would be chosen in the next 6-9 months from the announcement, and it was just announced in April. I don't think there is a hold up, we are only 4 and a half months out from the initial announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    I thought it was said that the site would be chosen in the next 6-9 months from the announcement, and it was just announced in April. I don't think there is a hold up, we are only 4 and a half months out from the initial announcement.
    I thought they said this summer? but you are probably right!

I took these a few weeks ago of Headington Hall:
    IMAG5153.jpgIMG_20131002_180905.jpgIMG_20131002_180942.jpg

11. Default Re: OU Projects

I have to say the vast majority of buildings constructed in OU's 21st century building boom have been impressive. There are always a couple exceptions, but it seems like the designs have almost always honored the Cherokee Gothic architecture with an occasional modern twist.

The interiors, gardens and landscaping have all been equally impressive.

The improvement just over the last 15 years or so has been incredible. I love walking around and taking it all in.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Well when you compare a pic from the spring with nice clouds in the background with a cool photo filter to a winter pic without any filter...you can certainly make them look quite different.
    The osu building is a very nice looking piece of architecture too.

Upcoming Norman campus projects where funds have been requested by the state or through private donations:

- S. J. Sarkeys Complex Addition for Health and Exercise Science: This project will consolidate Department of Health and Exercise Science faculty and students in one location with adequate space. The planned addition to the building will be sized to include approximately 19,550 gross square feet constructed to the south of the existing facility. The addition will provide new lab space, classrooms, and faculty offices, by expanding the existing basement and first floor. The project also includes modifications to the western façade that provides a new front entrance to the building off of Asp Avenue and ties the existing building into the new construction. The total estimated total project cost is $10,000,000.

- Chemistry Building Renovation: As new facilities for the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry are constructed, spaces in existing facilities will be vacated and reprogrammed for other instructional and research uses. Renovation will be required to reconfigure space, upgrade building systems and improve accessibility. The estimated total project cost is approximately $10,000,000.

- Biological Sciences Building: Many of the teaching and research facilities utilized by the departments of Biology and Microbiology and Plant Biology, and the Oklahoma Biological Survey are outdated and insufficient to meet the needs of undergraduate teaching, research and current safety standards. In addition, the wide dispersal in multiple locations of the activities and faculty in the biological sciences is another significant impediment to accommodating dramatic growth in student numbers and the achievement of goals. The envisioned building would allow centralization of critical facilities and personnel. The plan would provide a new greenhouse and a superior learning environment for students including a new modern lecture hall, modernized research facilities, and open spaces for students, faculty and staff that will enhance opportunities for cross-disciplinary research collaborations and larger group projects.
    The estimated total project cost is $80,000,000.

- Life Sciences Center, Phase II: This project will complete the program requirements necessary to support the instructional and research activities of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, and will ultimately consolidate and integrate the teaching and student services programs with the research programs to be constructed as Phase I. Phase II will contain approximately 100,000 gross square feet and will provide the department with state-of-the-art teaching laboratories for General, Analytical, Physical, Biological, Quantitative and Organic chemistry; teaching laboratory support and chemical stock room meeting the current life-safety requirements for storage and handling of hazardous materials; student advising and student services areas including an Information Commons, group study spaces and computer lab; and a 150-seat seminar auditorium. The project will also construct a parking structure. The estimated total project cost is $50,000,000.

- Armory Renovation: This project, with an estimated project cost of $12,000,000, will renovate the current Armory building to provide much needed and up-to-date classroom space required to teach classes in military science. The project will also make needed code, life safety and accessibility improvements to the building and update the building’s mechanical and electrical systems.

- Multi-Tenant Light Industrial Facilities, Phase I: This project will provide high bay light industrial space and office space for University research programs and which may be leased to entities wishing to locate near other technology resources at the University Research Campus. This phase will construct two pods, containing a total of approximately 73,000 gross square feet of space. Planning will include defined areas for additional pods. Necessary infrastructure and parking areas associated with the new buildings will also need to be constructed as part of the project. The estimated total project cost is approximately $16,000,000.

- Board of Regents minutes available online

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    - Multi-Tenant Light Industrial Facilities, Phase I: This project will provide high bay light industrial space and office space for University research programs and which may be leased to entities wishing to locate near other technology resources at the University Research Campus. This phase will construct two pods, containing a total of approximately 73,000 gross square feet of space. Planning will include defined areas for additional pods. Necessary infrastructure and parking areas associated with the new buildings will also need to be constructed as part of the project. The estimated total project cost is approximately $16,000,000.
    What would this^ be for?
    It almost sounds like something you would build for GE?

What would this^ be for?
    It almost sounds like something you would build for GE?
    Haha, I don't think so. It sounds like they are building bay areas, like the EPF, but for research teams rather than competition teams. I know a lot of groups, such as the geotechs, who are always looking for more space, so this is a great idea.

I really want to figure out how to bring up a refurbishment of Fears Lab to the reagents. It's an extremely valuable asset to the university and the state, but you sure wouldn't know it by looking at it. I would love for it to be fixed up to integrate it with the rest of the research campus, but I hear they're being given a hard time about it.

That list has been around for years and years and is part of a long-range plan.

The Biological Sciences at $80 million is intriguing. I wonder where this would go? Perhaps a replacement for GL Cross connecting to Richardson Hall?

It's also interesting to see all of the planned development of the research campus. Hopefully there is a master plan for this growth. I'm not a fan of how it has developed so far with so much surface parking and little cohesion tying the buildings together.

The Biological Sciences building is planned for the research campus.

20. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    I have to say the vast majority of buildings constructed in OU's 21st century building boom have been impressive. There are always a couple exceptions, but it seems like the designs have almost always honored the Cherokee Gothic architecture with an occasional modern twist.
    What would be an exception? I've liked everything they've done since 2000. I've particularly liked the renovations they've done on the south oval. Some of those buildings were butt ugly.

As for OU vs. OSU libraries, I've never been in OSU's library, but the reading room in Bizzell is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Biological Sciences building is planned for the research campus.
    Bummer. Not a fan of moving academic functions to the research campus.

View of Headington Hall from the Asp Avenue Parking Garage. I took this yesterday, March 28.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OU has finally approved funding that would completely rebuild Imhoff road between Chautauqua and Jenkins.
    They said work would start in April and end this next August.
    This stretch of road has been in poor condition for a long time.

I posted this on another thread but figured it was worth posting here.
    OU has approved 12 million dollars for storm shelter construction.

I was on campus yesterday and noticed they are progressing with the reconstruction of the south oval. Brooks will be a pedestrian/bike path all the way across campus from Elm to Jenkins, and both sides of the oval will be ped/bike paths with car and bus traffic only on Asp. It should be a really nice improvement when it's finished.

Thread Information