Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    And, I'm sure you'll be the first in line to pony up the money for those things to happen.
    You don't have the first clue about anything regarding me.

But please feel free to continue making such valuable contributions.

2. Default Re: OU Projects

So many egos clashing in this thread...sigh.

Seems to be a sample of what Norman is going through. Shoving out the old guard (and old way of thinking) with the newer younger folks who will actually lead (and live in) the city going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    So many egos clashing in this thread...sigh.

Seems to be a sample of what Norman is going through. Shoving out the old guard (and old way of thinking) with the newer younger folks who will actually lead (and live in) the city going forward.
    Some of us are not as old as you think....... and old people are living a lot long these days.
    Its the older people who have most of the money and thus most of the control...and they will have for a very long time.
    But by the time you reach retiermnet age soylent green will be in full force, which may not be all that bad for guys like you.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Why had it gone off the radar? Money for other projects? Lack of interest?
    The project was next on the list in the 2008 time frame just before the economy went in la toilette. All the relevant donors necessary for such a project went right along with it, and Joe C was on the radio not long after that happened saying something to the effect of "We'll only undertake the press box project when it makes financial sense to do so." Mind you, that is not intended to be a precise quote, but a good-faith paraphrase of a quote he made on the subject.

I think the press box rebuild was the last major part of the original master plan that was assembled many years ago, right about the time Stoops came on board. The intervening five years have also caused other priorities to shift around, and the Headington Hall build was a huge project, so perhaps its taken that long to get the ducks to line up. And I suspect they may have different ideas on how to execute the press box project now, anyway. Last credible plan I heard (and it was a while ago) was for a teardown of the existing box and a rebuild featuring a combination VIP suite-media/press facility that would run the full length of the west upper deck. This would be very similar to what Nebraska has done.

I, for one, will be excited to see this project, if only because I remember (and have pictures of) them building the existing press box as part of the west upper deck build with the STEP program in 1974. That was a big deal back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    Athletics department is only allowed a certain amount of debt to revenue ratio. The athletics department is rather near the threshold so any project would be way down the line. OU is still paying off the east side upper deck and has a 30 year loan out on headington. It will be a while

This really sounds like a university’s athletic department who has nearly maxed out on it debt issuance capacity and not ready to do anything.

Oklahoma athletics: Joe Castiglione says more facilities upgrades on the way | News OK
    Ryan Aber and Jason Kersey Published: July 31, 2013

CASTIGLIONE: MORE FACILITIES UPGRADES ON THE WAY

Sooners football coach Bob Stoops said earlier this week that the improvements to facilities at OU would continue.

Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione hinted at some of those improvements at Wednesday's Sooner Caravan stop at the Cox Convention Center.
    Castiglione didn't give any specifics about upgrading Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium but said improvements were on the way.
    “We're thinking of ways to make it better,” Castiglione said. “We just haven't announced it yet.”

Castiglione also spoke of the study, announced in May, of potential upgrades to Lloyd Noble Center.
    “We're looking at everything from the facilities that serve out student-athletes to something as radical as changing the seating bowl at Lloyd Noble Center,” Castiglione said. “That building's about to be 40 years old.”

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    You don't have the first clue about anything regarding me.

But please feel free to continue making such valuable contributions.
    Don't want to know a damn thing about you. But, please feel free to continue making comments about what should be done at OU, and we'll assume you're going to pony up the money for these projects. Now, go ask mommy if you can have some more milk and cookies. You're excused.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    This really sounds like a university’s athletic department who has nearly maxed out on it debt issuance capacity and not ready to do anything.

Oklahoma athletics: Joe Castiglione says more facilities upgrades on the way | News OK
    Ryan Aber and Jason Kersey Published: July 31, 2013

CASTIGLIONE: MORE FACILITIES UPGRADES ON THE WAY

Sooners football coach Bob Stoops said earlier this week that the improvements to facilities at OU would continue.

Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione hinted at some of those improvements at Wednesday's Sooner Caravan stop at the Cox Convention Center.
    Castiglione didn't give any specifics about upgrading Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium but said improvements were on the way.
    “We're thinking of ways to make it better,” Castiglione said. “We just haven't announced it yet.”

Castiglione also spoke of the study, announced in May, of potential upgrades to Lloyd Noble Center.
    “We're looking at everything from the facilities that serve out student-athletes to something as radical as changing the seating bowl at Lloyd Noble Center,” Castiglione said. “That building's about to be 40 years old.”
    I can't tell you HOW I know, BUT I CAN PROMISE YOU THAT THE ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT IS CURRENTLY NEAR IT'S DEBT LIMIT. Geez. Joe C isn't in charge of the athletics finances.

OU fans arguing with each other...doesn't get much better than that.

I can't tell you HOW I know, BUT I CAN PROMISE YOU THAT THE ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT IS CURRENTLY NEAR IT'S DEBT LIMIT. Geez. Joe C isn't in charge of the athletics finances.
    I seriously doubt that one of the very best athletic directors in the entire nation and his pretty successful head football coach would be spouting stuff about making major stadium improvements and major LNC improvements that would cost many, many millions if Boren and the Board of Regents even remotely disproved of Joe C's and Stoops commitments. They wouldn't say these things in front of many OU booster and fans if the financial picture was as bad as you say and they certainly would not be saying anything if the time line is as long as you indicated. That's not how these people operate.

Joe C is on public record of saying that OU will make improvements when it makes financial sense and I just happened to hear Joe C say that with my own ears.

Given everything that has been linked from published sources and from OU sources that would almost certainly know more than you about OU's athletic finances and with you lacking rock hard information it's not to difficult to not find what your indicating as not being creatable information.

Since this past spring reliable people have been indicating to me that OU would be building a new west side press box in about 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    The project was next on the list in the 2008 time frame just before the economy went in la toilette. All the relevant donors necessary for such a project went right along with it, and Joe C was on the radio not long after that happened saying something to the effect of "We'll only undertake the press box project when it makes financial sense to do so." Mind you, that is not intended to be a precise quote, but a good-faith paraphrase of a quote he made on the subject.

I think the press box rebuild was the last major part of the original master plan that was assembled many years ago, right about the time Stoops came on board. The intervening five years have also caused other priorities to shift around, and the Headington Hall build was a huge project, so perhaps its taken that long to get the ducks to line up. And I suspect they may have different ideas on how to execute the press box project now, anyway. Last credible plan I heard (and it was a while ago) was for a teardown of the existing box and a rebuild featuring a combination VIP suite-media/press facility that would run the full length of the west upper deck. This would be very similar to what Nebraska has done.

I, for one, will be excited to see this project, if only because I remember (and have pictures of) them building the existing press box as part of the west upper deck build with the STEP program in 1974. That was a big deal back in the day.
    This post about what Joe C said is 100% spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    plus agenda item 18 a new master plan for the LNC

ISSUE: LLOYD NOBLE CENTER MASTER PLAN – NC
    ACTION PROPOSED:
    President Boren recommends the Board of Regents:
    I. Rank in the order presented below architectural firms under consideration to
    provide professional services required for a master plan for the Lloyd Noble
    Center and for improvements at the facility;
    II. Authorize the University administration to negotiate the terms of an agreement
    and a fee for these professional services, starting with the highest-ranked firm;
    and
    III. Authorize the President or his designee to execute the consultant contract.
    BACKGROUND AND/OR RATIONALE:
    The Lloyd Noble Center was constructed in 1975 with a major building addition
    constructed in 2002. Current building area totals approximately 264,000 gross square feet. The
    need has been identified for a comprehensive master plan for facility-wide improvements. The
    master planning effort will require the services of an architectural consultant to provide
    programming and to assist in the development of a comprehensive program. As funding is
    available and improvements projects are approved and implemented, the selected consultant will
    be requested to provide professional services for project design, construction documents and
    construction administration
    This post^ is worth a bump.
    Would OU even be wasting money on a LNC study if they had no money to work with.

12. Default Re: OU Projects

Joe C is on public record of saying that OU will make improvements when it makes financial sense and I just happened to hear Joe C say that with my own ears.
    ... ...
    Since this past spring reliable people have been indicating to me that OU would be building a new west side press box in about 3 years.
    Which sounds a lot like "we are at our debt limit right now, but in a few years we'll have it paid down (and with additional booster support) that we'll be able to move forward with additional projects. I don't see Geo saying that OU is going to be capped out for the long term. They'll get it paid down a bit and move forward.

The LNC portion is for the design/update for a master plan. I really don't see how this is that difficult to understand except for being stuck in a game of "i'm more connected than you are" which is really unbecoming of supposedly experienced and "mature" people. Sigh. LOL

Which sounds a lot like "we are at our debt limit right now, but in a few years we'll have it paid down (and with additional booster support) that we'll be able to move forward with additional projects. I don't see Geo saying that OU is going to be capped out for the long term. They'll get it paid down a bit and move forward.

The LNC portion is for the design/update for a master plan. I really don't see how this is that difficult to understand except for being stuck in a game of "i'm more connected than you are" which is really unbecoming of supposedly experienced and "mature" people. Sigh. LOL
    No is doesn’t.....Not even at all. You are really grasping for things that you have no clue about. Buut that's becoming a faily regualr occurrence for you and you let it bleed over into many of your threads.
    You act posisive.

The fact is that Joe C said OU will make improvements when it makes financial sense. This was said around the time of the great stock market crash...

Many of the donors for the press box project backed out and waited for their investments to recover. Now most but not all are back on board.
    Delaying the press box project in such uncertain times was the right decision... in the mean time the priority shifted to Hedington Hall and several other expensive projects that have been well underway.

Now that it makes better financial sense to move forward with the press box and LNC, not mention several other projects worth millions it doesn’t paint a picture of an Athletic department in financial trouble particularly when you consider that the OU budget is at record levels and by comparison almost 20 million more than OSU who almost everybody thinks is rolling in money.

With a very low cost of living in Norman, OU's athletic budget was in 9th place in the NCAA according to the most recent fingers and this is before OU's new TV revenue fully kicks in.
    With the price of oil above 100 dollars it helps many of OU's major donors. With everything considered, there is absolutely nothing that’s indicating any significant financial problems for OU athlitics!

This post^ is worth a bump.
    Would OU even be wasting money on a LNC study if they had no money to work with.
    Here is my last comment on this:

1. OU always needs donations. How do you get people excited to donate? You tell about all of the future things that OU is going to do and build. Enter Joe C....gotta keep those donations rolling in
    2. The things that he says are probably going to happen, albeit not for a long time.
    3. Fact: OU's Athletics Department is near the legal allowable debt limit (in terms of projects) and this won't change for a few years if not for a while.

This is my last message on this subject..believe what you will.

Here is my last comment on this:

1. OU always needs donations. How do you get people excited to donate? You tell about all of the future things that OU is going to do and build. Enter Joe C....gotta keep those donations rolling in
    As its been for many decades the best way to get most OU people to donate large sums of money back to the university is high oil and natural gas prices.

As its been for many decades the best way to get most OU people to donate large sums of money back to the university is high oil and natural gas prices.
    To add to this ^ post

Some of you may know about a collection of rare books about the history of science at the OU Library.. The books were donated to OU by Everette DeGolyer who is considered by many to be the father of American geophysics. He graduated for OU in the 1910's. He made his money traveling the world looking for oil.

If you have ever been to the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens at White Rock lake, that’s his estate. It a very nice place that I highly recommend.
    As a university, OU can trace it's roots of oil donations back to the 1910's that I am aware of.

18. Default Re: OU Projects

No is doesn’t.....Not even at all. You are really grasping for things that you have no clue about. Buut that's becoming a faily regualr occurrence for you and you let it bleed over into many of your threads.
    You act posisive.
    LOL.

There is really nothing more to add than what hasn't already been said. If you continue to ignore the facts then so be it.

LOL.

There is really nothing more to add than what hasn't already been said. If you continue to ignore the facts then so be it.
    There are not facts on your side, none at all, at least not right now.

It's just one random poster on a message board who you have decided to side with because you don't like me. Everything including some of the leading experts on the issue at OU points to something that's the exact opposite of what you belive to be fact ... It's one thing to have a difrent and oposing opinion but when you have become this dislusional over an issue that so one sided it really is time to break out the Loony Tunes music for the world you live in and the things you think are facts!

LOL

20. Default Re: OU Projects

There are not facts on your side, none at all, at least not right now.

It's just one random poster on a message board who you have decided to side with because you don't like me. Everything including some of the leading experts on the issue at OU points to something that's the exact opposite of what you belive to be fact ... It's one thing to have a difrent and oposing opinion but when you have become this dislusional over an issue that so one sided it really is time to break out the Loony Tunes music for the world you live in and the things you think are facts!

LOL
    Sigh. Believe what you want.

Sigh. Believe what you want.
    I will believe the facts and the informed opinions who are in charge of making things happen at OU who happen to have an outstanding record on these matters.
    For example... How many times has Joe C been recognized as the top AD in the nation? But those are inconvenient facts for a guy like you. He knows whats going on with OU athletic finances. But back to your Loony Tune world.

guys... this pissing contest is getting old. knock it off. disagreements are fine... but let's keep it civil and mature, ok? -M

Please move on. Thanks.

Pete

@SoonerSportsTV 16h
    If you were unable to attend tonight's @SoonerClub Caravan, we'll air it Thursday night at 7pm on @FSOklahoma:

Thread Information