Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

1. Default Re: OU Projects

Would love to see the features expanded to new structures to replace the other dorms. Walker was nice an all, but I still didn't care of it 15 years ago. Would like to see them tear down the existing towers and construct new high density structures.

Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Headington Hall is amazing! While there are a few things I would have done differently, it's a top notch facility that I, too, hope serves as a model for future OU housing.

I think the plan for the existing buildings is one is going to be torn down and the other is going to be reworked into offices for athletic staff. That was the last I heard anyway.

I'm also hearing that the Bud will be reconfigured and turned into office space.
    I have heard that the other 2 dorms will be torn down.

To replace the towers and Cate Center with dorms similar to the Headington would cost the state hundreds of millions of dollars. I have a hard time believing the state would cough up that much money for OU anytime soon.

The Headington cost $75 million dollars. Its being paid for by donations and by bonds that the athletic department will be responsible for paying down, but out of the 380 total students who will live there only 180 are athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    To replace the towers and Cate Center with dorms similar to the Headington would cost the state hundreds of millions of dollars. I have a hard time believing the state would cough up that much money for OU anytime soon.

The Headington cost $75 million dollars. Its being paid for by donations and by bonds that the athletic department will be responsible for paying down, but out of the 380 total students who will live there only 180 are athletes.
    While none are as nice as the Headington, how the heck did OSU get so much money to build new student housing in recent years? It's already planned in a couple of years to bring down the old twin 12 story dorms--Kerr-Drummond, and replace them with new student housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    While none are as nice as the Headington, how the heck did OSU get so much money to build new student housing in recent years? It's already planned in a couple of years to bring down the old twin 12 story dorms--Kerr-Drummond, and replace them with new student housing.
    Wasn't that a part of T Boone Pickens rather massive donation a while back?

I'm not sure how OSU paid for their new dorms but OU spent about 100 million on refurbishing the towers about 10 or so years ago. There was a rumored 100 million dollar anonymous donation given to OU about this time. The rumored donor was Helen Walton of WMT.

While it would be very nice to have all the dorms on camps look like the Headington, short of a major new donation OU is probably not going to do anything for many years.
    There are too many other bigger priority’s and not nearly enough money.+ OU's bond debt is pretty high and state funding can not be counted on.

Besides, with the rising cost of attending collage and with such poor job prospects with way too many degree programs and now with so many more classes now being offered on line, I'm not so sure that poring massive amounts of money into all new dorms is as wise of investment as it would be to increase the quality of the university’s academics and research capability's that would spin off high wage jobs and offer royalty opportunity's?

HangryHippo Guest

I'm not sure how OSU paid for their new dorms but OU spent about 100 million on refurbishing the towers about 10 or so years ago. There was a rumored 100 million dollar anonymous donation given to OU about this time. The rumored donor was Helen Walton of WMT.

While it would be very nice to have all the dorms on camps look like the Headington, short of a major new donation OU is probably not going to do anything for many years.
    There are too many other bigger priority’s and not nearly enough money.+ OU's bond debt is pretty high and state funding can not be counted on.

Besides, with the rising cost of attending collage and with such poor job prospects with way too many degree programs and now with so many more classes now being offered on line, I'm not so sure that poring massive amounts of money into all new dorms is as wise of investment as it would be to increase the quality of the university’s academics and research capability's that would spin off high wage jobs and offer royalty opportunity's?
    Also, I don't think the renovations to the dorm towers started until 2005 and they were supposed to take place gradually over the next 6 years... Ideally, OU would have saved the $100 million donation and put it to much better use. They should have razed the dorm towers and used the donation to do something better. That whole part of campus south between Asp and Elm (?) should be razed. Lots of hideous architecture in that area.

What is OU's current bond debt? Also, does anyone know the current value of OU's endowment? The only number I come across is outdated by at least 2 years.

What is OU's current bond debt? Also, does anyone know the current value of OU's endowment? The only number I come across is outdated by at least 2 years.
    Are you talking University-wide debt? Or Athletics Department Debt?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by treyingram90 View Post
    Are you talking University-wide debt? Or Athletics Department Debt?
    Let's go with both if you have the current numbers for each of them.

Fitch assigns an 'AA' rating to the series 2013B and C general revenue bonds (the bonds) to be issued in the amount of $96 million by the Regents of the Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical Colleges on behalf of Oklahoma State University (OSU, or the university):

The bonds will be sold on a negotiated basis on or about the week of July 22nd and the proceeds will be used to refund certain OSU's series 2003 outstanding revenue bonds, fund the construction of several projects including a civil engineering building, a veterinary medicine academic center, a library storage facility,[U] student housing [/U]and pay costs of issuance.

In addition, Fitch affirms the 'AA' rating on OSU's $262.5 million of outstanding general revenue bonds.

The Rating Outlook is Stable.

SECURITY

The bonds are secured by a pledge of all legally available revenues, excluding revenues appropriated by the legislature from tax receipts.

Also, I don't think the renovations to the dorm towers started until 2005 and they were supposed to take place gradually over the next 6 years... Ideally, OU would have saved the $100 million donation and put it to much better use. They should have razed the dorm towers and used the donation to do something better. That whole part of campus south between Asp and Elm (?) should be razed. Lots of hideous architecture in that area.

Bond information for OU
    http://www.bondsonline.com/print/Tod...view&RID=29010

RATING AFFIRMED: The 'AA' rating reflects OU's status as a state flagship higher education institution with recent year enrollment growth, relative affordability compared to its peers and demonstrated fund raising success in a stressed economic climate.
    Counterbalancing factors include a high but manageable debt burden.

Much of what gets donated is to specific projects, waiting just lets inflation eat at what can be done

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Much of what gets donated is to specific projects, waiting just lets inflation eat at what can be done

I believe most donations are placed in custody of OU's foundation and are put in investments that would offer a degree of protection against inflation?

Pete knows a lot about how these things are handled... I hope he chimes in and offers some clarification.

I believe most donations are placed in custody of OU's foundation and are put in investments that would offer a degree of protection against inflation?

Pete knows a lot about how these things are handled... I hope he chimes in and offers some clarification.
    While I do not know the specifics of OU's program, most of the ones I have seen are conservative enough that they are still loosing verses inflation in construction prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    While I do not know the specifics of OU's program, most of the ones I have seen are conservative enough that they are still loosing verses inflation in construction prices.
    That's probably right.

But I have wondered if during depressed times when material prices are low if it might not be a bad idea to go ahead buy things like rebar and store it until its time to build the project.

I can definitely assure you at OU will not be replacing Lloyd Noble anytime soon, its an unfortunate truth.
    You may be right, but according to Joe C. all options are on the table.

All options would include the possibility of a new arena.

The article I read seemed to imply that all options were on the table to do something with LNC. I would love to see a new arena though, even if it was smaller than LNC. Something on the Duck Pond lot with the main entrance facing a new plaza at Jenkins & Brooks, and completing the east end of the quadrangle formed by the stadium, Armory, Price Hall and the fieldhouse. Parking would be in what is left of the Duck Pond lot and likely a new garage in the same area that also serves the campus. Contrary to popular belief parking would actually be easier since it would be more spreadout among existing and new campus garages and lots, as well as people parking in Campus Corner for pre-game dinner/drinks and walking to the arena, which you can't really do with LNC. Such a facility would also be within walking distance of a possible campus commuter rail stop.

Athletics department is only allowed a certain amount of debt to revenue ratio. The athletics department is rather near the threshold so any project would be way down the line. OU is still paying off the east side upper deck and has a 30 year loan out on headington. It will be a while

Athletics department is only allowed a certain amount of debt to revenue ratio. The athletics department is rather near the threshold so any project would be way down the line. OU is still paying off the east side upper deck and has a 30 year loan out on headington. It will be a while
    The debt on the east side of the stadium was reportedly restructured. Donations paid for a very large % of this construction.
    The report at the time said that this debt would be paid off in full some time in 2011.
    This was reported in the local news media.
    What are your sources?

Hedington Hall also recived sigifiacnt donations from several sources.
    OU's athletic revenue / budget has risen by very significant amounts over the past several years.

SoonerSports.com - Official Athletics Site of the Oklahoma Sooners - On Campus

An interesting statistic is that since the start of OU's great expectations campaign is that it has generated over 330 million dollars in donations for OU athletic causes.

Sooner Magazine, Summer 2010 -- Great Expectations Realized

Acording to this $70 million was raised for renovations and expansion to Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, upgrades to the Barry Switzer Center football facility include a new locker room, upgraded training space and equipment areas, as well as high-tech meeting rooms and film rooms, and new coaches’ offices.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Wasn't that a part of T Boone Pickens rather massive donation a while back?
    It covered the new Athletic Village part for sure. The state is funding none of that. It's all a big privately funded project with many other donors, other than Pickens.

OSU's dorms were privatized. That's how it was funded. A company owns and operates them on behalf of the university. OSU, by contract, will get full possession of them in 30 years. Other universities have done similarly. Boren stated, at the time, that he was not interested in doing that here.

The debt on the east side of the stadium was reportedly restructured. Donations paid for a very large % of this construction.
    The report at the time said that this debt would be paid off in full some time in 2011.
    This was reported in the local news media.
    What are your sources?

Hedington Hall also recived sigifiacnt donations from several sources.
    OU's athletic revenue / budget has risen by very significant amounts over the past several years.
    I won't reveal my sources, but the Athletics Department has a 30 year loan on Headington Hall, so even with all those contributions, there is still a sizeable amount to be paid. There is still money out on the east side expansion as well, I don't know where the local media got that report from.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerSooner View Post
    OSU's dorms were privatized. That's how it was funded. A company owns and operates them on behalf of the university. OSU, by contract, will get full possession of them in 30 years. Other universities have done similarly. Boren stated, at the time, that he was not interested in doing that here.
    This is what CU is doing with their newest student apartments.

Thread Information