Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New Arena Name

Default Re: New Arena Name

Larry - Here in Jax we NEVER refer to the Jags as the Jacksonville Jaguars. We don't have to, we live here. When I see people on Sunday afternoon I don't ask them how the Jacksonville Jaguars did today. I ask them how the Jags did. You take the Mayor way to litteral.

Southern Kansas (I.e. Wichita, etc.) Embrace the Thunder as well. This team has helped tourism into OKC. I personally know of some people in Austin, that fly to OKC about once a month for Thunder games and to see the city for the weekend. As the team brand is embraced into the NBA further, tourism will continue to increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Larry - Here in Jax we NEVER refer to the Jags as the Jacksonville Jaguars. We don't have to, we live here. When I see people on Sunday afternoon I don't ask them how the Jacksonville Jaguars did today. I ask them how the Jags did. You take the Mayor way to litteral.
    This is another team the media frequently refer to by city. I hear the Jags called "Jacksonville" a lot by the national media. I probably would know nothing about Jacksonville if the Jaguars weren't there....and my son hadn't moved there.

Well, the Jags won't be here for long. The ground work has been laid to move the team to LA after next season.

"Oh you're from Oklahoma City, where they had that bomb," I can guarantee you more and more people are saying, "Oh, you're from Oklahoma City. Kevin Durant is amazing."
    As superficial as it sounds, I think you make a good point. It has "rebranded" the city from a place known for tragedy to being associated with success and rebirth. Kevin Durant and the Thunder have kind of put something tangible to our new image and provided a medium in which the new image can be reinforced several times a year. It's as if they are the mascot for our new image.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Well that will be great national exposure for MidFirst, but I wonder if it makes OKC sound more small-time?
    I think the chronic worrying about sounding small-time makes us sound more small-time than anything.

When the City sold the naming right they gave up throwing their 2 cents in.

8. Default Re: New Arena Name

I just wish that the MidFirst bank would just come up with an awesome name rather than self-image-greed to name the building after their own bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I just wish that the MidFirst bank would just come up with an awesome name rather than self-image-greed to name the building after their own bank.
    LOL - in this world you live in, is it sunny all the time?

10. Default Re: New Arena Name

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    You can blame that on the City for making the deal where they/the Thunder get to whore out the naming rights to the highest bidder.

I'm pretty sure every other arena does the same thing. If it helps the Thunder sign better players so we can be competitive in the league, then I am happy to have it named the just about anything arena. Redneck Bank is probably an exception. We're a small market. We don't have lots of corporate sponsor options. We have mid range ticket prices. If we don't want to end up scraping by and selling draft picks for cash, ala New Orleans, then we'll need to be supportive of the sale of naming rights.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I'm pretty sure every other arena does the same thing. If it helps the Thunder sign better players so we can be competitive in the league, then I am happy to have it named the just about anything arena. Redneck Bank is probably an exception. We're a small market. We don't have lots of corporate sponsor options. We have mid range ticket prices. If we don't want to end up scraping by and selling draft picks for cash, ala New Orleans, then we'll need to be supportive of the sale of naming rights.
    Right on.

13. Default Re: New Arena Name

Oh, I agree. Just sorta agree with Thunder than an iconic-sounding name would be sweet. Hell, even the Thunderdome would be a hit for me. If I were worth a billion or two, I'd buy the rights, name it the Myriad for everything other than Thunder game, where it would be the Thunderdome. That's about right.

Good post. The Jags went 3 years without a stadium sponsor here in Jax - you can see the result on the field, which in turn led to the result you see in the stands.

15. Default Re: New Arena Name

"Naming rights" is a concept I pretty much dislike and, honestly, give no serious thought to. Like betts, as long as it's not 'Redneck Bank' I really don't care and fail to see why it stirs such passion. I think some want to find anything to be critical about because their lives are miserable. That may sound odd, but honestly, the people I have met who are oppositional are usually just unhappy people - period. Just name it and get on with it. Most of us really don't care.

Blog Entries

Why is it that the general attitude on this board is pretty negative about anything anybody announces? If indeed MidFirst is buying naming rights it could signal that they are going to be aggressively expanding their influence. Generally the naming rights are at least as important for developing a regional or national presence as it it is for local influence. Perhaps MidFirst is going to actively add in Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, etc. Think positively.

And, perhaps this means MidFirst is seriously going to become a player downtown. That would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Why is it that the general attitude on this board is pretty negative about anything anybody announces? If indeed MidFirst is buying naming rights it could signal that they are going to be aggressively expanding their influence. Generally the naming rights are at least as important for developing a regional or national presence as it it is for local influence. Perhaps MidFirst is going to actively add in Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, etc. Think positively.

And, perhaps this means MidFirst is seriously going to become a player downtown. That would be good.
    I'm with you, Rover. I've also noticed some posters seem a bit more testy in 2011...I wonder if they are trying to quit smoking or are suffering from UV light deprivation? Except for betts, she's awesome all the time...I find myself nodding in agreement at the majority of her posts.

18. Default Re: New Arena Name

Which is basically what I was saying in my post above yours. I described the atmosphere as 'oppositional'. It seems most any announcement about anything has to first be met with opposition. Like I said in that post, I think it all goes much deeper than this forum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Which is basically what I was saying in my post above yours. I described the atmosphere as 'oppositional'. It seems most any announcement about anything has to first be met with opposition. Like I said in that post, I think it all goes much deeper than this forum.
    Even in the thread about the new hotels. It got almost hostile about the brick and design issue and everyone ASSUMED that they were trying to skirt the rules, get away with something, build an ugly or out of place building. THEN, the facts start to come out. Instead of rejoicing for the activity and positive development, everyone wanted to assume the worst. I just don't get it.

I'll reply, even if we're off topic. The reason some of us assumed they were trying to skirt the rules is because people in the past have tried to skirt the rules. Even the Hampton Inn, built by the same developer, was going to be more stories of "stucco" until the kibosh was put on that plan. On occasion it has taken citizens raising a minor ruckus to get attention paid to attempts to circumvent guidelines. I am perhaps oversensitive to EIFS, because I hate it and I hate what happened to lower Bricktown. Most of the developers have the money to invest in quality and that's what I think they should do, personally. So, if I was out of line, my sincere apologies, but it's only because I care so much about the area. I do not like the "who cares what it looks like....it's development!" attitude.

21. Default Re: New Arena Name

I'll reply, even if we're off topic. The reason some of us assumed they were trying to skirt the rules is because people in the past have tried to skirt the rules. Even the Hampton Inn, built by the same developer, was going to be more stories of "stucco" until the kibosh was put on that plan. On occasion it has taken citizens raising a minor ruckus to get attention paid to attempts to circumvent guidelines. I am perhaps oversensitive to EIFS, because I hate it and I hate what happened to lower Bricktown. Most of the developers have the money to invest in quality and that's what I think they should do, personally. So, if I was out of line, my sincere apologies, but it's only because I care so much about the area. I do not like the "who cares what it looks like....it's development!" attitude.
    I think we're all talking about two different things. I agree with betts about the arena naming rights. I also agree she has every right to disagree with the plans for Bricktown. I don't think anyone here was talking about you, betts. You have nothing to apologize for.

Blog Entries

I don't think it is a "who cares" attitude. Virtually everyone on here is passionate. But that doesn't mean that all the assumptions have to be negative. I see so many negative comments on here that are conclusions jumped to. Being vigilant and passionate is great....but assuming a problem before there is even a reason is silly, imho. Not everyone is stupid, a crook or has bad taste...even if they do things differently than someone else might.

Even in the thread about the new hotels. It got almost hostile about the brick and design issue and everyone ASSUMED that they were trying to skirt the rules, get away with something, build an ugly or out of place building. THEN, the facts start to come out. Instead of rejoicing for the activity and positive development, everyone wanted to assume the worst. I just don't get it.
    But the most recent set of "facts" in that thread somewhat contradict the story given by the developer and support some of the concerns posted in the thread (or at least the review committee seems to be expressing the same concerns).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    But the most recent set of "facts" in that thread somewhat contradict the story given by the developer and support some of the concerns posted in the thread (or at least the review committee seems to be expressing the same concerns).
    I don't thing the "facts" supported anything but that the developer asked for comments early and will now respond. If they find the developer strongarms or ignores the requirements, THEN we can believe they have bad intentions. Until then, they are just going through the process.

I think I agree with the concept of adding on a title to the arena that won't change when sponsors change. I like that idea. Just like with the Bricktown ballpark, as has already been mentioned. Maybe we should come up with a standing name for the arena to put after the sponsor name. Like Midfirst Bank OKC Arena, or whatever. That way if the sponsor changes, the OKC Arena name still stands. Going with the Cox Myriad Convention Center would've kept the Myriad name intact but just added a sponsor to the name. I think that would've been a better option for the Cox Convention Center, because when the naming rights for Cox end, we'll have to come up with an entirely different name for the facility, when we could just locally call it the Myriad Convention Center until a new naming rights agreement can be reached. Since there's already the Myriad Gardens, why not just make it the Myriad District? In that district, have the Cox Myriad Convention Center and the Midfirst Bank Myriad Arena.

Thread Information