Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's your sign

Cool Here's your sign

To the dude who got pulled over this morning on S. Penn for speeding in a school zone on the first day of school, "here's your sign".

Default Re: Here's your sign

Quote Originally Posted by earlywinegareth View Post
    To the dude who got pulled over this morning on S. Penn for speeding in a school zone on the first day of school, "here's your sign".
    If there is one thing I hate more than anything else, it is people speeding in a school zone. How much time do you save speeding through a school zone - 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds? Is it worth killing a child over? 5 mph over should be a $500 fine, 10 mph over should be a $2500 fine plus 10 hours of working as a crossing guard.

What about the idiots who are texting? We should all start honking at the people who are doing that.

Seriously, I saw some douchebag from Nevada speed through all 3 school zones on Classen Blvd. this morning, probably going twice the speed limit, about 50mph or more. I ended up passing him a few miles later by Chesapeake. I too get irked at idiots who speed through school zones, or even worse don't even recognize they are there despite the 4 blinking lights going over the entire street and people honking at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsh51 View Post
    What about the idiots who are texting? We should all start honking at the people who are doing that.
    This might be the dumbest thing I have seen yet, but here in Jax (where driving and texting/talking on a cell phone is illegal) you can sign up with FLDOT to receive text messages about road conditions/accidents to assist with your commute. My guess is that most of those text messages will come while people are in rush hour traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsh51 View Post
    I saw a guy texting on I-44 near the airport one morning who failed to notice traffic slowing down and rear-ended an OK county sheriff.

I think an IQ test should be required to get a driver's license. The stuff I've seen people do on the roadways is nothing short of insane. The worst I've witnessed was someone who missed the I-35 south exit ramp from I-240 and decided the thing to do was (1) stop the vehicle, then (2) back up on I-240. Honest.

I saw a guy texting on I-44 near the airport one morning who failed to notice traffic slowing down and rear-ended an OK county sheriff.
    Go directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

8. Default Re: Here's your sign

I think an IQ test should be required to get a driver's license. The stuff I've seen people do on the roadways is nothing short of insane. The worst I've witnessed was someone who missed the I-35 south exit ramp from I-240 and decided the thing to do was (1) stop the vehicle, then (2) back up on I-240. Honest.
    I love that junction. Every day around 2:45pm when I get there on the way home, it's backed up to I-240. Sometimes I just pass it altogether. One time I went ahead and got in enough to not be in the middle of the highway. About two cars behind me I hear *SCREECH* and *POW* and this guy rear-ends the guy in front of him. There's almost always and accident either just before the junction, or in the curve. I've gotten rear-ended waiting in the curve too. We weren't even moving, for a couple minutes. Then *BAM* guy hits my new car and leaves these marks. Dude just went back to talking on his cell phone like nothing happened.

Last year I honked at a car speeding through a school zone and they stared at me and flipped me off. Sad thing is, they had kids in the car. Way to set an example!!!

One of my favorites is where you actually get to speed up though the school zone. It is/was over on southside, Grand Boulevard headed east a few blocks from Shields as you cross this small bridge/creek the road jogs going from the divided boulevard down to 2 lanes. Anyway, they have you slowing down to 15 for the curve/jog then back up again for the school zone. Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Last year I honked at a car speeding through a school zone and they stared at me and flipped me off. Sad thing is, they had kids in the car. Way to set an example!!!
    Back when I was teaching, we took some kids in a private vehicle on a field trip. Someone honked at the car and the home ec teacher flipped them off. True story. Ah, those were the days...

I saw a guy on NW Expressway texting in the lane next to me. I was next to him at the next light. He was still texting. Oh I layed on my horn. He looked up and I motioned for him to put his phone down. He looked angry that I did that!! So be it, hope I saved a life.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    I saw a guy on NW Expressway texting in the lane next to me. I was next to him at the next light. He was still texting. Oh I layed on my horn. He looked up and I motioned for him to put his phone down. He looked angry that I did that!! So be it, hope I saved a life.
    The life you saved might have been your own.

The police on the board may know better, but I was always told that a lot of people run school zones at the beginning of the year because they don't realize school has started and got out of the habit of slowing down over the summer. The instances of speeding in school zones drops in a week or two. So I've been told but I don't know.

My mother goes through exactly what you described every year, PennyQuilts. Add to the confusion the different back to school dates for the various districts and even individual schools. That said, I think EVERY school zone has been standardized and ALL have the flashing yellow lights, so not too much of an excuse then.

Although not as attractive and more expensive, I wish we had the overhead style flashers. Harder to miss when it is right in front of you than off to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I can top that. I remember once when I was driving through a school zone at the exact speed limit a car behind me honked his horn at me because I wasn't driving faster. Fingers never got involved even if they were itching to. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Although not as attractive and more expensive, I wish we had the overhead style flashers. Harder to miss when it is right in front of you than off to the side.
    A good number of Edmond's school zones have blinking lights embedded in the pavement.

Hard to miss, yet discreet when not in use...

For some the only way to get there attention is to send them a text message (but that creates a whole other set of problems).

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    The police on the board may know better, but I was always told that a lot of people run school zones at the beginning of the year because they don't realize school has started and got out of the habit of slowing down over the summer. The instances of speeding in school zones drops in a week or two. So I've been told but I don't know.
    I think all the cars at the school, children present, and big yellow school buses would be a dead give-away that school was in secession.

Kerry, seems like there are zones where there isn't a school in sight...agree that what you described would be hard to miss...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I think all the cars at the school, children present, and big yellow school buses would be a dead give-away that school was in secession.
    You'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Kerry, seems like there are zones where there isn't a school in sight.
    That part I could understand. We actually have an intersection near us that is considered a school zone even though the school is almost a mile away. The school zone sign wasn't working to slow down speeders (note - I have never seen a child using the interesection on the way to school) so they put in a stop light. There have been two fatalities since the light went in last year, neither caused by speeding.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Many of the schools do, the 3 on Classen Blvd do, even though only one of the schools is within eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    As others pointed out, some of the schools are blocks away, especially the school zones that cross busy thoroughfares like Classen Blvd. No signs of a school anywhere, especially when rarely are there kids using it. I drive it everyday and have seen kids once out of 4 school zones daily.

i couldnt believe my eyes yesterday. I was waiting for my youngest to get off the bus, an older woman just drives right around the bus. Lights flashing, kids walking across the street. I jumped out of my car and walked toward her as she drove off. I motioned to her. She rolled down her window and I asked her if at her age was she aware that she was required to stop for busses with the lights flashing? She looked really embarrased when she said she knew that, but didnt see the bus! Of course I said "well, bless your heart"!!!!!

Thread Information