Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

Cool Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

Ok I thought this might be interesting to ask, What were your Favorite Dance Club/Bars in the 80's. Mine would be the Sofine Club and Sherlocks. I have alot of great memories from both in the 1980's.

Default Re: Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

N.W. 63rd and May. Think it was called Charlie's.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Charlie's Chili.

I remember Charlie's , It was pretty good and they had live music.

Quote Originally Posted by lt14life View Post
    I remember Charlie's , It was pretty good and they had live music.
    and good looking women! I dated one for about two years but had to break it off because my wife did not approve (LOL)

Clementines in the basement of Penn square mall.
    It had a stainless steel dance floor and slide down into the club.

Pistachios, I think it was in the Glen Brook Center (63rd and Western).

Michaels Plum, in 50 penn place

Free Spirit, 31st and Classen (Old Church building)

Bringing all of this up reminds me of the Samuri Club that was on north May next to sound warehouse . Ichiro was the owner and long before he started up the Club & Resturant it was a Weight lifting Gym & I dont remember if he taught Karate their or not but when that started to fail thats when Ichiro started the Samuri. The Resturant had really good Japenese food and the club was real small but had good Bands their most of the time.

8. Default Re: Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

I went to Club Pyramid and also That club over by PC where they filmed "Rock & Roll & Then Some" and also the old church that was a club near NW 30 and Classen.

The church on Classen was Beethoven's. 3 different clubs inside, one on each level.

10. Default Re: Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    The church on Classen was Beethoven's. 3 different clubs inside, one on each level.
    It had been several different clubs. When I went there it was called something else though. The Wreck Room was also popular in the 80's.

I enjoyed the Lions Club dance on South Robinson....Soonergirl and Tall Girl told me that they had also gone to the dance....I know the Village Idiot was there..with me.....we were trying to pick up "chicks".....6th and 4th grade???????

I'm just gonna throw this in here even though it was located in Edmond and it was my mom & stepdad's favorite place to go. Busters, on 2nd & Santa Fe. It was a country and western dance club.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    It had been several different clubs. When I went there it was called something else though. The Wreck Room was also popular in the 80's.
    Yes im very familer with the old Church and it has been several different businesses over the years, In the 80's myself and friends went their to see Grand Funk Railroad and yes the leadman Mark Farner was their. The old Church is also said to be haunted.
    Last edited by lt14life; 08-18-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: mispelling

The first business that was located at the "Church" after the "Church" folded was an Italian restaurant. I ate there once but, can't remember the name. I also went there when it was Beethoven's and later Puff's.

Quote Originally Posted by lt14life View Post
    Yes im very familer with the old Church and it has been several different businesses over the years, In the 80's myself and friends went their to see Grand Funk Railroad and yes the leadman Mark Farner was their. The old Church is also said to be haunted.
    I guess then that the lot itself is haunted as it's been a few years since the old church was leveled. It was considered too decrepit at one time to house any other clubs after a balcony collapsed inside of it.

The Gold Rush and Chastain's.

17. Default Re: Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

I was in Tulsa in the 80's where we'd all go to Palladium or Caravan, sometimes Cain's Ballroom if our friends were playing..

When we'd drive to OKC, we'd usually party at Central State, found the clubs in the metro to be kinda boring...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I guess then that the lot itself is haunted as it's been a few years since the old church was leveled. It was considered too decrepit at one time to house any other clubs after a balcony collapsed inside of it.
    Yeah its been a Loooong time since I have been in that area . I never new that it had been torn down and thats a shame because their was alot of history their.

The Free Spirit I know of was on Classen and the building was known as the castle. Is this the same as the old church? At that time, mid-70's the place was a gay bar. At that time 18 and over were allowed in "beer bars" which closed at midnight. Liquor joints open until 2:00. We altered our draft cards (yes you had to have one 18 years and older at that time.) We payed a certain amount of money and were given a club card for the free spirit. We just went there to drink and maybe people watch. The other patrons never bothered us. Only had one bit of trouble.

It was a restaurant (Dino's) I think before a club.

Was that place ever called the Purple Goose????

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Was that place ever called the Purple Goose????
    I believe the Blue Goose was farther south.....

Thank you, I got my colors wrong. I did however think that old church building was used for the Blue Goose...Prunepicker hung around over there....That's where he told his mom he went to Church..

I believe the Blue Goose was farther south.....
    You are correct, I went in both back in those days.

I liked 'Peaches' on the south side started by a Grant guy named Mike. More of a restaurant but had a great bar and regulars.

Tricky Dicky's was a dance club,right?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Tricky Dicky's was a dance club,right?
    Oh yes I remember Tricky Dicky's very well. It was a Strip Club and yes they did dance.

Thread Information