Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

1. Default Re: Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

Yeah, I was born in 1983 but reading about this stuff is fascinating.

Default Re: Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

Sooners was THE place for us! Good times! I also remember Charlie's.

I remember it

Where was Sooners located at ??

Oh yes the Gold rush, remember it well, They had a band that played there quite frequently , Crystal Image ?? I think thats the name.

Crystal Image?

Such an 80s name...

7. Default Re: Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

Charlie's Chili on 63rd & N. May Avenue

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    Charlie's Chili on 63rd & N. May Avenue
    I spent a lot of time there, my friends parents owned it during that time.

Help jog my memory....where was The Onyx located....I can see it in my mind but can't recall location.

I used to play regular gigs at the Split T and at Boar's Head. Both excellent. I really liked the backstage for the Boar's Head though.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    The original Friends on 63rd and NW highway. Late 80's, early 90's. It was great. On 5 consecutive Friday nights, I walked out of there and went home with 5 different women. Scored with all 5. All northside women. Northside women rock.
    I worked in that building when it was My Pie for 10 years from the time it was opened. Even though you had some good times there i sounds like (: i hated that it became Friends. I had an awesome time working there and occasionally partied at Butterfields nearby whe it was in business. Unfortunately...uh, being the 70s and all i can't remember the names of all the bars we partied at. However i spent a serious amount of time at The Hutch out north on MacArthur.

Quote Originally Posted by toojennifer View Post
    I worked in that building when it was My Pie for 10 years from the time it was opened. Even though you had some good times there i sounds like (: i hated that it became Friends. I had an awesome time working there and occasionally partied at Butterfields nearby whe it was in business. Unfortunately...uh, being the 70s and all i can't remember the names of all the bars we partied at. However i spent a serious amount of time at The Hutch out north on MacArthur.
    Where exactly was the Hutch on MacArthur? I Did alot of clubbing in the 80's and don't recall this one, better yet I should ask what type of crowd did the club attract ?

Quote Originally Posted by lt14life View Post
    Where exactly was the Hutch on MacArthur? I Did alot of clubbing in the 80's and don't recall this one, better yet I should ask what type of crowd did the club attract ?
    It was a little dive bar in the strip center on the east side of MacArthur and just south of Britton.

Mainly a college crowd that I recall.

Didn't seem to last very long.

Does anyone remember a nightclub by the name of Kreme? It used stand between Coltrane and Sooner on NE 23rd until last year.

I have always wondered about the place because it looked like it may have been a decent place at one time.

I don't remember that place but then again it was on the east side, We didn't get over to that side of town.. Was it a little hole in the wall type place?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It was a little dive bar in the strip center on the east side of MacArthur and just south of Britton.

Mainly a college crowd that I recall.

Didn't seem to last very long.
    Well that explains it then, never visited the little dive bars, Except for the Old Anchor on North Portland just South of 23rd Street. That place drew a very interesting crowd in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    This might be the place for this question: I assume that the building in the late 1980s ( along the 6800 block of W. Wilshire or thereabouts) marked ominously in spray-type letters "AXIS" was a club of some kind; what exactly was it? To my recollection, the building is still there.
    I recall it being some sort of "after hours" club that was open until at least 4am.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    There was another club in the spot at 63rd & May where Pets Mart is that was called The Plum in the early 90's after it was Confetti's, The Zoo and some other names I can't remember.
    It was called "Tremors" after it was "The Plum." It lasted about a year before it finally closed and the space was leased to PetsMart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    Quicksilvers was at 10th and MacArthur.
    Yes...Quicksilvers was at 10th and MacArthur and they were notorious for allowing underage patrons in the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Expert View Post
    Yes...Quicksilvers was at 10th and MacArthur and they were notorious for allowing underage patrons in the club.
    It was an 18 beer bar when I was in high school, that was until beer went to 21 in 1983.

Lightbulb Re: Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    Does anyone remember a nightclub by the name of Kreme? It used stand between Coltrane and Sooner on NE 23rd until last year.

I have always wondered about the place because it looked like it may have been a decent place at one time.
    I had never heard of Kreme until a year or two ago. We stumbled upon it while out scouting locations and decided to get a closer look. Post coming today! The post will be located at: http://www.abandonedok.com/kreme

Quote Originally Posted by AbandonedOK View Post
    I had never heard of Kreme until a year or two ago. We stumbled upon it while out scouting locations and decided to get a closer look. Post coming today! The post will be located at: Krème Nightclub | Abandoned Oklahoma
    Very cool! You guys do a great job.

I did find some information:

• The address was 4500 NE 23rd.
    • The structure was built in 1965 and up until at least 1972 was home to Contract Interiors, which sold draperies, bedding, etc. At that same time, they also had a location in Shepherd Mall.
    • See article below regarding a banquet at that location in 1983, then called the e'clat Club.
    • In 1987 I found an ad for Hideaway Club at that address.
    • Looks like it operated as Club Unlimited from 1994 to at least 1996. In '96, they were raided for having more than twice the amount of patrons as allowed by fire code. Not sure if it ever re-opened after that.
    • In 2002 / 2003 I found wants ads (seeking all positions) in the Oklahoman archives for Klub Kreme at that address with a phone number of 427-7200.
    • The building was sold and demolished in 2011/2012.

Leonard Sullivan Oklahoma County Assessor Real Property Detail Sheet

Banquet to Mark Anniversary Of City's First NAACP Sit-In
    Gypsy Hogan • Modified: August 6, 1983 at 12:00 am • Published: August 6, 1983
    Tickets are now on sale for a silver anniversary dinner banquet to be held Aug. 21 in honor of the 25th anniversary of the first sit-in in Oklahoma City.

Dr. Roger Countee, an internationally known neurosurgeon and a participant in the civil rights protests, will be guest speaker.

Clara Luper, one of the coordinators, said 500 people are expected to attend the banquet which will be at the e'clat club at 4500 NE 23.

The event will be catered by Eddie's Supper Club, owned by Eddie Walker, another sit-in participant.

"This is going to be one of the biggest events ever held in northeast Oklahoma City," said Mrs. Luper, adding that she is proud that a black businessman has the facilities to host such an event while another black businessman will cater it.

The event, however, will not be all-black, she added. "The movement has always had white friends," she said. "I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have as many whites as blacks at the banquet."

The first sit-in started on Aug. 19, 1958, when 14 youngsters ranging in age from six to 17 entered Katz Drug Store in downtown Oklahoma City. They sat at the counter and attempted to order a Coke.

Service was denied because they were black, a policy that was citywide at that time.

Three days later, the drug store changed policy and served the youths.

The children were members of the local NAACP Youth Council which had spent 15 months in talking to restaurant owners about changing the segregation policy. They finally voted to embark on what would become a six-year series of sit-ins.

Mrs. Luper was their adviser who instructed them daily in the principles of non-violent protest, lessons that were tested as onlookers sometimes spat on them, hurled verbal abuse and physically threatened them.

Tickets for the dinner banquet are $25 a person with proceeds going to the Freedom Center, home for the NAACP Youth Council which is still led by Mrs. Luper. The dinner banquet is part of a weeklong series of events beginning Aug. 15 with an open house at the Freedom Center, 2609 N Eastern.

Former sit-inners are asked to register at the center and participate in the week's activities which will include a voters' registration drive and a NAACP membership drive.

Tickets to the dinner banquet may be purchased at the center or by calling Mrs. Luper at 424-2384 or 424-3949.

I don't want to call it a "favorite" of mine but does anybody remember Sinbad's on Meridian? I worked with a salesman from Univac that loved the women, the less clothes, the better. He took me there a couple of times. Not my cup of tea but interesting to say the least.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by AbandonedOK View Post
    I had never heard of Kreme until a year or two ago. We stumbled upon it while out scouting locations and decided to get a closer look. Post coming today! The post will be located at: Krème Nightclub | Abandoned Oklahoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Very cool! You guys do a great job.

I did find some information:

• The address was 4500 NE 23rd.
    • The structure was built in 1965 and up until at least 1972 was home to Contract Interiors, which sold draperies, bedding, etc. At that same time, they also had a location in Shepherd Mall.
    • See article below regarding a banquet at that location in 1983, then called the e'clat Club.
    • In 1987 I found an ad for Hideaway Club at that address.
    • Looks like it operated as Club Unlimited from 1994 to at least 1996. In '96, they were raided for having more than twice the amount of patrons as allowed by fire code. Not sure if it ever re-opened after that.
    • In 2002 / 2003 I found wants ads (seeking all positions) in the Oklahoman archives for Klub Kreme at that address with a phone number of 427-7200.
    • The building was sold and demolished in 2011/2012.

Leonard Sullivan Oklahoma County Assessor Real Property Detail Sheet

Banquet to Mark Anniversary Of City's First NAACP Sit-In
    Gypsy Hogan • Modified: August 6, 1983 at 12:00 am • Published: August 6, 1983
    Tickets are now on sale for a silver anniversary dinner banquet to be held Aug. 21 in honor of the 25th anniversary of the first sit-in in Oklahoma City.

Dr. Roger Countee, an internationally known neurosurgeon and a participant in the civil rights protests, will be guest speaker.

Clara Luper, one of the coordinators, said 500 people are expected to attend the banquet which will be at the e'clat club at 4500 NE 23.

The event will be catered by Eddie's Supper Club, owned by Eddie Walker, another sit-in participant.

"This is going to be one of the biggest events ever held in northeast Oklahoma City," said Mrs. Luper, adding that she is proud that a black businessman has the facilities to host such an event while another black businessman will cater it.

The event, however, will not be all-black, she added. "The movement has always had white friends," she said. "I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have as many whites as blacks at the banquet."

The first sit-in started on Aug. 19, 1958, when 14 youngsters ranging in age from six to 17 entered Katz Drug Store in downtown Oklahoma City. They sat at the counter and attempted to order a Coke.

Service was denied because they were black, a policy that was citywide at that time.

Three days later, the drug store changed policy and served the youths.

The children were members of the local NAACP Youth Council which had spent 15 months in talking to restaurant owners about changing the segregation policy. They finally voted to embark on what would become a six-year series of sit-ins.

Mrs. Luper was their adviser who instructed them daily in the principles of non-violent protest, lessons that were tested as onlookers sometimes spat on them, hurled verbal abuse and physically threatened them.

Tickets for the dinner banquet are $25 a person with proceeds going to the Freedom Center, home for the NAACP Youth Council which is still led by Mrs. Luper. The dinner banquet is part of a weeklong series of events beginning Aug. 15 with an open house at the Freedom Center, 2609 N Eastern.

Former sit-inners are asked to register at the center and participate in the week's activities which will include a voters' registration drive and a NAACP membership drive.

Tickets to the dinner banquet may be purchased at the center or by calling Mrs. Luper at 424-2384 or 424-3949.
    Thanks for the information, I have always wondered about Kreme. I have lived in Midwest City since 2008 and I frequently passed that place and wondered about what it looked like inside and that sort of thing. The Prince Song Cream would would pop in my head. Now, I know. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    I don't want to call it a "favorite" of mine but does anybody remember Sinbad's on Meridian? I worked with a salesman from Univac that loved the women, the less clothes, the better. He took me there a couple of times. Not my cup of tea but interesting to say the least.
    C. T.
    I think Sinbad's was at 16th and May. Some of my old acquaintances in The Rogues used to hang out there not long before it shut its doors. (The Rogues was a motorcycle club . . . not a band.) It was just up the street from Bosco's--another place I don't know anything about, personally . . . =)

I probably drove by what became Kreme hundreds of times when I lived on that side of town. Was it, at one time, the meeting building for the African-American branch of The Masons (Prince Albert Hall or whatever)?

13th & May(my aunt lived down the street from there).....there was another place at 23rd & Meridian sometime in the 80's but don't remember the name.

Yes, my mistake, I remember the place on May, and drove by it yesterday.
    C. T.

Thread Information