Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Belle Isle Library

Northwest OKC Belle Isle Library

City council voted yesterday to move forward with a $7.1 million renovation and expansion of the Belle Isle Library. ADG was selected as the architect.

From OKC Mod Squad:

Designed by Jack Mills of Turnbull & Mills
    5501 N. Villa, OKC

As Oklahoma City moved to the ‘burbs in larger and larger numbers, it quickly became apparent that the downtown and Capitol Hill libraries wouldn’t be enough to serve the needs of the community. So, the City of Oklahoma City acquired two and a half acres of land at the corner of NW Expressway and Villa and a new, $300,000 library was planned.

Then, it was architect Jack Mills (of Turnbull & Mills) turn to get to work. He designed a circular, stone and glass building with 18,000 sf of space containing an auditorium, conference room, staff lounge and both kids’ and adult sections:

When the shiny, new Belle Library opened its doors in the spring of 1963, it boasted a collection of 30,000 books and facilities for two travelling bookmobiles. Over the years, the interior has been updated to incorporate computer facilities and more book space, but the exterior remains in excellent original condition.

Default Re: Belle Isle Library

she may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid...

. . .be careful with my library!!!

I kind of appreciate the radial design of this and other mid century buildings like it, such as the building at Will Rogers Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	15139

Was my library as a kid and it's now my library again as an adult, hope the "expansion" doesn't screw up the original design...

Just tear it down and build another one! haha

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Just tear it down and build another one! haha
    Yeah right, who could catch it? This is the library that did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs!

9. Default Re: Belle Isle Library

Ive always thought the same thing about the place.

If you've seen the new Solo movie, at least that Kessel run quote finally makes sense.

But seriously, lets not screw with the design too much so we can keep the old girl.

Press release about this project:

LARGE-SCALE RENOVATION PLANNED FOR BELLE ISLE LIBRARY

OKLAHOMA CITY– Plans for the renovation of the Belle Isle Library will soon be underway after the City of Oklahoma City Council recently awarded the design of the project to ADG, a local architecture firm.

The renovation will include major changes to the existing floorplan and an expansion that will add about 14,000 square foot to the library. In addition, the library will add new furniture, fixtures and equipment.

“We are excited to get started on the Belle Isle Library renovation project,” Deputy Executive Director of Operations Anthony Herron said. “The Belle Isle Library is beloved by many Oklahoma City residents, and we are happy to have the opportunity to improve their experience by creating a larger more tech-friendly space.”

The Metropolitan Library System and the City will begin working with ADG and Aaron Cohen Associates, an internationally known library design consultant, to develop an addition that will complement the existing structure. It is estimated that the design phase will take 12 months to complete.

The library will move to a temporary location during the renovation. At this time, a space has not yet been secured. Construction is estimated to take 12 to 18 months to complete.

The Belle Isle Library was built in 1965 and last underwent an expansion in 1988 to add 6,600 square feet. The nearly $8.3 million in project funds provided by the City of Oklahoma City are from the 2007 and 2017 General Obligation Bonds. Funds provided by the Metropolitan Library System will be allocated at the Feb. 21 meeting of the Metropolitan Library System Commission at Ralph Ellison Library.

In fiscal year 2018, the Belle Isle Library had more than 224,000 visits. The library also had a 5 percent uptake in new library account holders and almost a 10 percent increase in materials borrowed since 2017. Overall, the library serves about 35,000 active customers.

More details will be announced as the planning process for the design begins. Library users can visit the library website www.metrolibrary.org or follow the library on Facebook @metrolibrary to stay up to date on the latest library news and announcements.

This should be interesting - the plot they sit on is pretty well taken up by the current building and parking (and can't really expand much, if at all, land-wise due to neighboring bldgs/streets/lots), and the parking is mostly full at the times we go (weekend afternoons and some weekday evenings). Be really nice if they built up instead of sideways in order to preserve the original(ish) footprint.

Renovation of Belle Isle Library to expand on mid-century style

This week, architects ADG presented plans for a $7 million renovation and expansion of the Belle Isle Library.

The much-loved structure opened at NW Expressway and Villa in 1963, with a unique stone exterior and round floorplan.

Although some small updates have been made to the interior to accommodate computers and modern equipment, the building stands as a relatively un-touched example of early 1960's architecture.

Goals for ADG was to preserve and enhance the original design while expanding and modernizing.

Three new additions will make the space more cohesive and provide areas for children, teens, adults, story rooms and meeting rooms.

A large meeting space for the community will be added, which can accommodate up to 200 people and can be split into two separate meeting rooms, with integrated audiovisual equipment.

New glass exterior walls at the north and south additions allow views into the library to showcase existing exterior stone walls

Construction is scheduled to begin summer of 2020 and be completed by fall of 2021.

So cool.

Fantastic.

15. Default Re: Belle Isle Library

I got a weird message when i tried to view the link on the details. Does it mention anything about what the extra space will house?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I got a weird message when i tried to view the link on the details. Does it mention anything about what the extra space will house?
    The entire article is posted above.

You'll have to open these is a new window to see the detail:

I’m so happy about this. I already love this library.

Been anxiously awaiting these plans ever since the announcement - it's been my library for over 40 years now (with a 15 year gap in the middle) and I'm torn between liking it because it looks like it might be cool if done properly (and they need the extra space) and not liking it because it'll destroy the original look of it. Just hope they do it right.

If I had a kid who went to Belle Isle magnet school, I'd demand the plans include funding for sidewalks for kids to walk safely from school to this library.
    Last edited by Edmond Hausfrau; 10-25-2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Grammar

^

I live nearby and pedestrian access is insanely bad.

Almost impossible to cross NW Ex at Villa, no real sidewalks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I live nearby and pedestrian access is insanely bad.

Almost impossible to cross NW Ex at Villa, no real sidewalks, etc.
    Any idea if this will be fixed with the state/county handing over this stretch of NW Expressway? Seems like this area is prime for a pedestrian-friendly overhaul, especially with the Oak development being built.

My only knock are the orange and turquoise exterior colors. They strike me as too trendy and will scream "late teens" for the next century. Even though it is contemporary, I prefer expansions or remodels look as timeless as possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    My only knock are the orange and turquoise exterior colors. They strike me as too trendy and will scream "late teens" for the next century. Even though it is contemporary, I prefer expansions or remodels look as timeless as possible.
    Well, contemporary IS timeless to some. Just look at the demand there has been for mid-century modern architecture lately. A decade ago, old world was the fad. Colors go out of favor when everyone starts using them, but then they keep coming back too. We will tire of them soon enough, and then long for them later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Well, contemporary IS timeless to some. Just look at the demand there has been for mid-century modern architecture lately. A decade ago, old world was the fad. Colors go out of favor when everyone starts using them, but then they keep coming back too. We will tire of them soon enough, and then long for them later.
    Agree, it's not "late teens" styling/colors, both are pretty much mid-century modern - the X and diamond-type pattern on the walls is completely, totally straight out of 1950s decor.

Thread Information