Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 99 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 180

Default Re: Project 180

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    They have already pulled out over 2,000* fish from the outdoor lake. Any game fish were taken to other local waters within the Parks Department, including the Oklahoma River. The Japanese Koi were removed separately and are being housed in a safe location where they can be monitored.

*This 2,000 figure was before Arts Festival. Since then, they've begun the process of draining the lake and more fish have been removed. Not sure the total number.
    If you find an '87 Buick with California tags - I don't know anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Frittergirl is not with GSB, but she definitely knows what she's talking about. Metro, I've published Myriad Gardens sketches on OKC Central and will gladly repost them - and since they belong to the city, feel free to repost them here at OKC Talk.
    Thanks for reminding us to keep that art out front...
    I should have clarified and meant new updated pictures/renderings, but I'm sure we all would welcome a repost now that the topic is more timely since it is underway.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    thanks for the excellent information Frittergirl. I have another question, what will they do with the fish that is inside the gardens lake?

I think the fish is a rather unique feature of the park and when I visit the city I have regularly gone down to feed the fish my leftovers (haha). Those guys are so huge, compared to when I lived in the city back pre-1991, and there seemed to be lots of families of fish.

I assume they can't just put up a tarp over the work-areas to stop debris from falling into the lake, will they not have to drain it and possibly re-design the lake? If so, what will they do with the fish and how will they catch them?

Thanks for the insight.
    I know FritterGirl already answered your question, but the link she posted above has the answer to this and many more details if you're interested in getting the full scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    If you find an '87 Buick with California tags - I don't know anything about it.
    Thanks for the laugh!

Public meetings started today. Still one tonight that anyone can catch.

The meetings will be held at 11:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. on June 7 and June 9 in the City Hall Council Chamber, 200 N Walker. Each meeting will cover the same information.

Default Project 180

So, Project 180 (http://www.okc.gov/project180/) has already started with improvements on the Myriad Gardens and Crystal Bridge, but it is now starting on streets. The first street, which makes sense, is Reno between EK Gaylord and Robinson. Here are some pics: http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...610886760.html. This sounds like a really great project, but I'm not sure exactly what they are going to do and how it will fit with the MAPs 3 transit project. Are there going to be bike lanes? I would love to see downtown more pedestrian friendly, but what does that mean? And are they just going to have to retear up the roads in 5 years (or whenever) when they start working on the transit? Even more specifically, what changes are they going to make to Reno between the Ford and Cox Centers? Sorry with all the questions, but I'm just wondering what Project 180 actually entails aside from their vague descriptions...

Yeah. I just linked that in my post. The site doesn't give much detail about what they're doing besides generic descriptions like "making more pedestrian friendly" and "beautifying." They tore up the while street. What are they going to do that merits that? You can beautify a street without tearing it up...

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    And are they just going to have to retear up the roads in 5 years (or whenever) when they start working on the transit?
    If they put in rail they will only need to tear up the section of steet where the rail itself is going.

Yeah. I just linked that in my post. The site doesn't give much detail about what they're doing besides generic descriptions like "making more pedestrian friendly" and "beautifying." They tore up the while street. What are they going to do that merits that? You can beautify a street without tearing it up...
    You are right to a point, much depends on what they are doing with it. Example, if they are going to put in separated bike lanes, or change the curb lines, or standardize the street specifications with the entire area (having to do with the longterm maintenance) all could require the replacement of the entire street. I suspect that in many cases it is a combination of these that require the removal of the entire street. In addition to this if they are having to relocate utilities from under a rail bed that in conjuntion with everything else, plus speed and ease in completion of all at once work rather than half and half while traffic is still moving through the site.

Sorry that kind of rambled it muct be Friday at the end of a long week! Long story short there are a great many factors that may contribute to the reason the entire street was removed.

So, Project 180 (http://www.okc.gov/project180/) has already started with improvements on the Myriad Gardens and Crystal Bridge, but it is now starting on streets. The first street, which makes sense, is Reno between EK Gaylord and Robinson. Here are some pics: http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...610886760.html. This sounds like a really great project, but I'm not sure exactly what they are going to do and how it will fit with the MAPs 3 transit project. Are there going to be bike lanes? I would love to see downtown more pedestrian friendly, but what does that mean? And are they just going to have to retear up the roads in 5 years (or whenever) when they start working on the transit? Even more specifically, what changes are they going to make to Reno between the Ford and Cox Centers? Sorry with all the questions, but I'm just wondering what Project 180 actually entails aside from their vague descriptions...
    There will be bike lanes, I believe, or if not it was an idea that was given heavy consideration. If they took em out then there is truly no hope left for OKC, so I hope not.

There really isn't a lot out there, but what is available online is all here:
    http://www.okc.gov/project180/

Steve also put a lot of the renderings on his blog, and he also did some live blogging coverage of some of the 180 closed-door meetings.

From Spartan's link

Plans call for the addition of landscaping, public art, marked bike lanes, decorative street lighting, and additional on-street parking spaces
    More info is available at that link thru the menu on the left. PDF presentation and such. May be mistaken but think Project 180 is planned on being a complete overhaul of the CBD streets etc, with common design elements (lighting, benches, bike racks, trash cans, design work in the sidewalks/intersections, etc). Think bike lanes are going to be incorporated all over?

If bike lanes will be included there should be bike/segway rental stations located throughout downtown for visitors and tours,rent from one station and return at any rental station!You could rent a bike in Lower Bricktown and ride up into midtown or to The Myriad gardens or Ford center/Cox cc!I'm sure things like this have already been discussed!

This is something the City is aware of but is unanswerable at this point because we don't know where the Streetcars are going to be routed and the timing of the Streetcars is several years away (if for no other reason, than MAPS 3 is a primarily pay-as-you-go method of financing, the tax has just started to be collected, the order of the projects hasn't been determined etc etc etc.)

While Project 180 & Streetcars ideally would be done at the same time (to minimize disruption to traffic, and the potential cost savings of only doing it once), it just may not be possible to do so. I would prefer that they delay the Project 180 until they can co-ordinate with Streetcars but apparently as part of the financing deal with Devon, Project 180 has to be complete by a certain date (particularly the areas surrounding Devon Tower). IIRC, that date is the same as Devon's opening.

Based on how many times I've walked that street before or after a basketball game, I hope they kinda level it out. It slopes down on the Eastern end toward EK Gaylord/Shields. As far as future rail transit, I'd think that they could just cut the cement like they do with these sections on the interstates. Cut a long track out and lay rails for the street cars. Then again, I don't know but it seems to me that's how they did it in Houston (I viewed some pics a long while back and that's what I remember).

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    This is something the City is aware of but is unanswerable at this point because we don't know where the Streetcars are going to be routed and the timing of the Streetcars is several years away (if for no other reason, than MAPS 3 is a primarily pay-as-you-go method of financing, the tax has just started to be collected, the order of the projects hasn't been determined etc etc etc.)

While Project 180 & Streetcars ideally would be done at the same time (to minimize disruption to traffic, and the potential cost savings of only doing it once), it just may not be possible to do so. I would prefer that they delay the Project 180 until they can co-ordinate with Streetcars but apparently as part of the financing deal with Devon, Project 180 has to be complete by a certain date (particularly the areas surrounding Devon Tower). IIRC, that date is the same as Devon's opening.
    I think they know exactly where they're going to put the streetcar rails.. that's just my jadedness though.

Spartan, do you mean that the Lets Talk Transit public input meetings are just a sham? Do you think that the Oversight Committee and announced subcommittee for the Convention Center site selection is just for show too?

Downtown events to compound traffic problems

By Brian Brus
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2837
    Posted: 10:44 PM Wednesday, August 18, 2010

OKLAHOMA CITY – About 6,000 more people than usual will add to traffic congestion downtown Aug. 26 during the state School Boards Association convention, making current detours even more of a bother, event coordinators confirmed.

Friday night, hundreds of fans for country music performers Brooks & Dunn and the RedHawks baseball team will provide their own complications in the district.

Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Bureau officials are prepared to help people navigate closed lanes and frequent changes for at least three years as the city’s Project 180 remodels the downtown landscape.

And Gary Desjardins, who oversees the arena and exhibit halls at the Cox Center, said traffic patterns are often on his mind.

“There’s a lot to think about, especially with Reno (Avenue) being completely closed from Robinson to Gaylord,” Desjardins said of the road that passes in front of the convention center. “We had a pretty intense meeting on Monday morning to review the status of work, the ingress and egress, as well as the overall automobile and pedestrian traffic patterns so we can communicate to guests what to expect.”

When work on Reno was being discussed with city engineers, Desjardins said he suggested closing down the road completely to speed up the process instead of a partial shutdown that would affect more events.

“There’s no degree of relativity, because you’re either inconvenienced or you’re not,” he said.

The $140 million Project 180 streetscaping initiative started earlier this month with Reno. The project will extensively change 180 acres of streets, sidewalks, lamps, benches and signage throughout downtown for the next three years. Project 180 is funded by a tax increment finance district around the new Devon Tower, now under construction immediately north of the Myriad Botanical Gardens park.

Andrea French, the city’s Project 180 public liaison, said that shortly after she was hired to the position she realized she would need to be aware of much more than just the initiative: Streets have been closed for construction on the Devon Tower itself and for renovations on the park; standard utilities work often requires detours; and lines for a downtown streetcar as part of the $777 million MAPS 3 tax issue are expected soon.

“We have almost daily coordination meetings,” French said. “There’s a lot of activity around the Ford and Cox centers right now with all their events. So we’re in constant contact with them about their needs. … There’s a whole special coordination effort with just those centers.

“We even have special traffic patterns we put into place, switching lanes and traffic light timing so we can ensure people leave the area quickly after a concert or sports event. And we’re coordinating with police probably like we never have before,” she said.

The words “working with” were often uttered by French, Desjardins and visitors bureau spokeswoman Laura Kriegel. When asked for elaboration, Kriegel said, “We see ourselves as a conduit to bring groups together to educate our stakeholders such as hotels and attractions about how they’ll be affected.”

In other words, city officials share information with businesses and organization leaders, who, in turn, tell their employees and tourists about expected traffic problems.

Directly warning each person planning to visit the city is impossible, Desjardins said, so communication with event planners is crucial.

And Kriegel said, “We haven’t changed our overall marketing strategy. But what we have been doing is meeting with the folks from Project 180, and our convention, sales and services team is working closely with meeting planners and people who are considering coming here to keep them informed about transportation challenges so they know what to expect.”
    Kriegel said the bureau will probably adjust its efforts as representatives receive feedback from clients.

18. Default Re: Project 180

It is not a lake. It is a huge pond.

Did they seriously drain it? If they did... KABOOM! There goes all the living beneficial bacteria! We will probably be dealing with fish deaths once they refill the pond and dump the fish back in there. The fish will have to deal and suffer with the beginning cycle and the dramatic difference in water conditions.

Btw, the good bacteria colonization is where they convert Ammonia to Nitrite to Nitrate. Look up on Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle. And all those plant life in there being lost.... Sad! And the water... They're gonna be pumping in new water...dramatically different from the aged water, which have so many differences, including pH and water hardness.

The city should just leave the pond alone, cover them up section by section as they work around it.

Thunder, you do realize leading experts from around the country are working on this, it's not John Doe working in the City's Sanitation Dept. just covering it up and then filling the pond up with a water-hose and throwing the fish back in when it's reopened. It will be fine.

Thanks, Metro.

Thunder, Metro is right. When it comes to the lake there and the fish, fish biologists with both the City's own Municipal Fish Hatchery as well as the State Department of Wildlife Conservation handled the transport of the fish and will handle them again when they are relocated back into the Gardens' lake. I can assure you these gentlemen have spent their entire careers dedicated to fish and marine biology. They are well aware of what will need to happen in terms of viable bacteria levels in the lake waters.

There was simply no way around this part of the construction project. The draining had to be done.

21. Default Re: Project 180

I can sleep peacefully now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I can sleep peacefully now.
    As long as you aren't sleeping with the fishes. I wonder what mafia fish say? Do they tie other fish to balloons to 'dispose' of the bodies?

23. Default Re: Project 180

I do sleep with all my fish. I got 5 tanks with 2 more on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    ... wonder what mafia fish say? Do they tie other fish to balloons to 'dispose' of the bodies?
    That might well be the funniest line I recall you posting. Thanks for the laugh

A friend of mine did this a long time ago:

Thread Information