Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Norman "the enlightened suburb?"

Default Re: Is Norman "the enlightened suburb?"

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    Man oh man you just don't get it. Both chat rooms and forums may or may not have moderators, so you don't really make a point when you say this is not a chat room. And why can I not assume anything about you? You assumed I was being serious about my comment. And based upon your inability to realize that almost anything actually DOES go in a forum, I assumed that you were out of touch with the interwebs. And unfortunately for you, the seriousness you give this issue only reinforced my opinion. You having seen, heard, and been involved in things that would make my toes curl do not improve your E-skills. I am sorry to break your heart but its true. That would be like me having been to prison, and expecting that experience to make me able to fix engines. The two are simply unrelated.

And regarding those things you have seen and heard, please tell. Because although I am young, I have also seen, eaten, and been involved in things all around the world that would make you throw up in your mouth.
    This is not the time or place to go into personal issues in either of our lives and I promise you don't want to get in a contest with me about that. There is virtually nothing that you can say that would shock or surprise me but this forum isn't the place for it. I have been in chat rooms where any kind of language or discussion is allowed and this isn't one of those in case you haven't noticed. You know exactly what I'm referring to so don't tell me I didn't make a point. I didn't have to assume anything about your comment. There was nothing in it at all that would make anyone except you assume that it wasn't serious. When you don't want something you say to be taken seriously, give us some reason to think it isn't.

How can you be so sure? You do not know me or my history, so it seems pretty ignorant of you to think that.

And I have been on forums where anything goes just like on a chatroom, so yes, I am telling you that you did not make a point. Lots of bad things, from racism to making fun of the OKC bombing. And while this forum is not like that bad, all you have to do is go look on the main board and read the posts of a guy who wants the Ward 5 representative to die in Afghanistan by choking on a bullet. And he was dead serious.

All you had to do was admit you were wrong by thinking i was serious and then move on. Instead of that, you tried to fight me on this subject and continue to get PWNED. If my bluntness was not enough evidence for you to realize i was being sarcastic, then that is your fault, not mine. So please go away now, save some face, and act like this didnt happen.

Why don't you PWN him somewhere else than out in the open for us all to see?

This thread is not only enlightening it is pure pwnage.

Uber pwnage.

And Spartan, sorry to steal your thread. The pwnage was too tempting, and I got carried away

And Spartan, sorry to steal your thread. The pwnage was too tempting, and I got carried away
    No problemo. There are a lot of people on here who I too would like to show some pwnage, I know how it is.

haha, like me I am sure. We have had our fair share of sparing, needless to say.

Back on topic though, I think it is obvious that there is something different about norman than the other suburbs, in a good way of course. A more educated and artsy feel. Obviously, the presence of OU plays the major role in this, but there is definitely an unmeasurable quality about norman that the other suburbs do not have.

How can you be so sure? You do not know me or my history, so it seems pretty ignorant of you to think that.

And I have been on forums where anything goes just like on a chatroom, so yes, I am telling you that you did not make a point. Lots of bad things, from racism to making fun of the OKC bombing. And while this forum is not like that bad, all you have to do is go look on the main board and read the posts of a guy who wants the Ward 5 representative to die in Afghanistan by choking on a bullet. And he was dead serious.

All you had to do was admit you were wrong by thinking i was serious and then move on. Instead of that, you tried to fight me on this subject and continue to get PWNED. If my bluntness was not enough evidence for you to realize i was being sarcastic, then that is your fault, not mine. So please go away now, save some face, and act like this didnt happen.
    This will be my last post on this subject. I will admit that I was wrong about thinking you were serious since you have since said you weren't. I won't admit that I should have known that from your post. Without knowing you and how you think, nothing in that post would have made me think you weren't serious. Being blunt is not evidence of sarcasm.

And I know there are inappropriate posts by others here occasionally too. They usually get castigated for it as they should.

yeah the mental hospital, and the little thugs that hand around robinson around the norman regional give this town the educational and artsy side... dont get me wrong norman has great areas, but again there is plenty of towns this size in america that surpass norman in educational people and artsy crap.. there is no high end shopping in this town, no real attraction except for ou, norman is known mainly for ou, there really is not anything else special..sorryto burst your bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    i still dont see whats great about norman, there are lot of other cities the size of norman that i have vistited across the u.s and a lot are nicer looking and more organized that norman..
    Don't think anyone is stating it is one of the best in the US just the best in Central OK

what is wrong with a mental hospital? I did not know that serving disabled citizens was a bad thing. And you act like mental hospitals are not common and having one in norman is a bad thing, but trust me they are everywhere.

And little thugs? Not sure what you mean. I am in norman for most of the year, and any "little thugs" in norman don't even come close to some i see in OKC when i go home.

When you google the definition of "enlightened" the first definition that comes up reads

Having knowledge and spiritual insight.

So no matter how you try and spin it, the presence of OU undoubtedly gives a presence of knowledge that is not found in any other suburb. So i do not see how norman isn't the "enlightened" suburb.

yeah the mental hospital, and the little thugs that hand around robinson around the norman regional give this town the educational and artsy side... dont get me wrong norman has great areas, but again there is plenty of towns this size in america that surpass norman in educational people and artsy crap.. there is no high end shopping in this town, no real attraction except for ou, norman is known mainly for ou, there really is not anything else special..sorryto burst your bubble
    Hey, don't forget the Bavenger house south of 60th and Robinson designed by famed architect Bruce Goff. People from all over the world come to go on a tour of that highly unique home that is difficult to adequately describe.

And while they do have some affiliation with OU, I would hardly say having the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History and the Fred Jones, Jr. Museum of Art would qualify Norman as having no real attractions. They are both high class facilities that would be appreciated anywhere in the country. The fact that Jesseda references "artsy crap" says a lot about his or her point of view.

No bubble to burst here. You speak about Norman and to those who enjoy/like Norman with such angst. Care to elaborate? And could you please explain to me what you mean by "thugs?" Do you mean people who LOOK like thugs? There's a difference. Unless you've personally encountered violent, malicious robbers and murderers hanging around Robinson, don't use the word thug so freely.

I lived in Norman for four years before moving to Moore/SW OKC last year. I have nothing against Moore/SW OKC, but I decided to move back to Norman after just a year. For OKLAHOMA, (note that I and the original poster never said anything about other cities in the US) Norman has charm that many other OKC area towns and suburbs (depending on who you ask) do not have.

yeah there is thugs, personallly awhile back working for a retail store across from section 8 apartments in norman off alemeda, there are plenty of thugs in norman, some people rally need to open thre enlightened eyes and look around lol, good god....

yeah there is thugs, personallly awhile back working for a retail store across from section 8 apartments in norman off alemeda, there are plenty of thugs in norman, some people rally need to open thre enlightened eyes and look around lol, good god....
    Care to tell us how you define the word "thugs"? I could use some enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Don't think anyone is stating it is one of the best in the US just the best in Central OK
    But Money magazine ranked Edmond #35 as a better place to live than Norman, which was ranked #70. And if you want to count Stillwater as part of central Okahoma, Norman got slightly ranked by Stillwater at #67.

yeah bunty you really cant post that since norman residence think that they live in the best town west of the mississippi lol

As usual, all of those lists are very subjective. It really just depends on what criteria is used to compile the list. If the right kind of data was used, Del City could probably be number one.

I would contend that the bottom line is that there is NO OTHER city in Central Oklahoma that is even doing anything about sustainability in the way that Norman is.

Ergo, Norman is more "enlightened." If "enlightened" were to be broadened in a sense, I would imagine that Norman would also leap further to the top of the list, in terms of education, culture, music scene, cultivated arts scene, and political views (Norman is easily the most politically diverse place in the state).

the last post is so funny...

24. Default Re: Is Norman "the enlightened suburb?"

The premise of this entire thread is funny.

What is Norman doing about sustainability?

Thread Information