Widgets Magazine

Thread: Roasted Hatch Green Chiles yet?

Default Roasted Hatch Green Chiles yet?

Has anyone seen the trucks showing up in the local mercados roasting hatch green chiles yet?

Default Re: Roasted Hatch Green Chiles yet?

Yumm, I want to know too! I might just camp out in the parking lot and enjoy that delicious aroma.

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    Has anyone seen the trucks showing up in the local mercados roasting hatch green chiles yet?
    Here in TX they don't usually show up until late August or early September.

I checked the Hatch web site. . . .2010 harvest begins late August. I think it was mid-September when I got them at Homeland here in the City. Let the roasting begin!!

I know its not fresh roasted but the Buy4Less on NW expressway and I44 has an assortment of Bueno Green and red chile that has helped hold me over. Someone also told me they found some El Pinto products in okc?

Homeland had an ad Wednesday for Hatch chilies. Great weekend project. . .I'm on my way and firing up the grill!!
    Last edited by foodiefan; 08-21-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling, punctuation

If anyone see some for sale in town, please advise... hatch has been picking for a few weeks now because a friend brought us some from dallas (central market) a few weeks ago and hatch's festival is this weekend. unfortuantely, I cannot go to hatch this year and do not currently have enough in the freezer to get me through the year..

I bought a 20 lb box at Homeland on 63rd/NWExpy on a couple weeks ago. Mine are roasted and in the freezer!! Can't wait for the first good cool snap to make some Green Chile Stew. Saw a piece on one of the food channels about Green Chile burgers. . . might have to try that this weekend!!

Having lived in Santa Fake, NM for 4 years, I can add to this thread!!! Ah yes the aroma of green roasting in the parking lots!! foodiefan, the GC CB's are wonderful, there is also another dish you would absolutely love. Using a 9x13 pan sprayed with Pam, cut in quarter's about 3/4 lb red/new potatoes and toss in olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt. Add the green on top and bake @ 350 for about 30 minutes. Remove and add shredded cheese, bake another 10 min or until chesse is melted....this is a YUMMY dish. I love GC stew! Green chile is just one flavor that can go on just about anything! Also makes a good baked potato topping!!

Enjoy!!!!

FFLady, those potatoes sound absolutely divine!! Will be making them soon!!

These Chilies sound really good. I called two Buy for less and they did not know what I was talking about. Are these called something other than Hatch Green Chilies? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    These Chilies sound really good. I called two Buy for less and they did not know what I was talking about. Are these called something other than Hatch Green Chilies? Please help.
    The only place I have ever found the "real deal" Hatch green chiles is at Homeland. I have found them at the stores on 63rd/NWExpy and May/Britton. . . . you might want to call them and check. The actual chile is similar to/a variety of the Sandia or Anaheim pepper, but the "cache" is for those grown in the Hatch, NM area. It's kind of like "terrior" in wine. . .the soil and climate of the area has a significant influence on the taste. Even if you can only get a few. . .roast, peel, de-seed. . .and put them on something!! It's a fun afternoon and a treat for the taste buds!!

SCORE! The new Crest on S. May(south of 89th) has 'em. I bought about 10 lbs. last nite @ .50/lb. . Good luck, have a great Labor Day.

Thanks, I will check at the Crest near my house.

They were roasting green chiles at the Edmond Farmers Market this morning. My fav smell in the whole world. These were actually grown in Coyle. Haven't tried them yet, will let you know if they compete with NM chiles.

CHILE REPORT!!!!

Oh my gosh, those Coyle OK chiles were sooo good. I would have to say that they were some of the best I've ever had (and trust me, I have had lots of green chile!). They were expensive but I would say they were worth it. I think I will go back to the Edmond market next week and see if he will sell them unroasted in bulk.

I made this yummy, easiest recipe ever for the football party and it was a hit:

1 pound sharp cheddar
    1 pound jack
    6 eggs beaten
    about 10 roasted/peeled green chilies (or half a frozen container from Buy of Less if you don't have fresh)

Grate the cheese and layer half of it in a greased 9 x 13 casserole. Spread the chopped chiles over the cheese. Cover with the rest of the cheese. Pour the eggs over evenly over the cheese/chile mixture. Bake for 30 - 45 minutes at 350. After it is cooled a bit, cut into squares.

[QUOTE=ksearls;363770]CHILE REPORT!!!!

I made this yummy, easiest recipe ever for the football party and it was a hit:

Sounds great. . . filing it in my recipe "stash"!!

The Buy4Less on nw expressway and I44 sells several frozen Bueno chiles, Red and green. pasole and tamales. Bueno is a NM brand similar to El Pinto that you might be able to find around here

Thread Information