Widgets Magazine

Thread: Grateful Bean to Close July 31, 2010

1. Default Grateful Bean to Close July 31, 2010

2. Default Re: Grateful Bean to Close July 31, 2010

I would like to see it become a 24-hour diner. Downtown needs one badly, and unlike when Grateful Bean opened, that area can now support it.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Default Re: Grateful Bean to Close July 31, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I would like to see it become a 24-hour diner. Downtown needs one badly, and unlike when Grateful Bean opened, that area can now support it.
    I think that would be pretty perfect, though I think area might have been able to support that type of restaurant before, being so close to the hospital. I'd love to see the same social mission carried over to the next/another establishment. My biggest issue with the place was that they weren't open for dinner, but the service wasn't at the level that you could count on getting out of there in a reasonable amount of time if you went there for lunch during your work day. I'd probably sit there all night and watch the piano playing if I could though. :-)

4. Default Re: Grateful Bean to Close July 31, 2010

I would love if it kept its same overall look and feel but became a New York style deli. 24-hours would be great but I really don't think even now it would be profitable.

From the name of the place thought it was a coffee house (as in coffee beans) and since I don't drink coffee hadn't ever thought about visiting. The pics in the paper showed it as being a cool place. Wish I had known.

Sad to hear but maybe it will work out for the best. I've always wondered how long a place like this can operate long-term. I think the problems ultimately came down to the management. The food was mediocre at best. The soda fountain/ice cream is the real draw. Wait times and food were terrible most of the time. I'd be willing to bet if they had hired a real chef and manager the place could have survived and maybe even thrived. It was living off nostalgia only, which is risky in this economy. I hope one of the groups they are in negotiations with is Good Egg Group (think Pops meets old fashioned soda fountain) or Ryan Parrot's group. Maybe in the end we'll end up getting a better restaurant than before. Just hope they keep the soda fountain; and surely they will.

I think you're right. Even a place that is open 24 hours from Thursday-Sunday would be nice.

8. Default Re: Grateful Bean to Close July 31, 2010

After 11pm (earlier during the week), the only dining option downtown is IHOP and that is embarrassing. Well actually, La Baguette will serve until midnight-ish 7 days a week, but that's not exactly the kind of food most people want late at night.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

9. Default Re: Grateful Bean to Close July 31, 2010

After 11pm (earlier during the week), the only dining option downtown is IHOP and that is embarrassing. Well actually, La Baguette will serve until midnight-ish 7 days a week, but that's not exactly the kind of food most people want late at night.

That new McDonalds isn't 24hr?

10. Default Re: Grateful Bean to Close July 31, 2010

Not sure.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Aren't there others? Seems odd that OKC still doesn't have overnight chow offerings

12. Default Re: Grateful Bean to Close July 31, 2010

Not downtown, and even outside downtown, what is there besides Denny's, IHOP, and Beverly's??
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Many McDonalds are 24/7 (drive thru only) but with the drive thru ban now in place for downtown. Waffle House. Whataburger

I just moved in the Plaza Court area and went to the Grateful Bean. It was packed and had a great atmosphere, but someone told us that it only started getting packed when word was out that it was closing. I'm really sad that it won't be there. Any word on what might be moving in?

Wish I'd made it before they closed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Say it aint so!

Yes, read the NewsOK link posted in the original post.

Thread Information