Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best hotel to stay in downtown

1. Default Best hotel to stay in downtown

Hey guys, poster from a long time ago here... bringing my wife with me to Oklahoma City for the FSU-OU game in September. Definatly want to stay downtown and was thinking the Skirvin but am up for other suggestions... Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Best hotel to stay in downtown

Much depends on a) the experience you want to have, and b) the price you are willing to pay.

For old world/historic elegance, you really cannot beat either the Skirvin Hilton or the Colcord, a boutique hotel located next to the Devon tower, under construction and across from the Myriad Botanical Gardens, also under construction. From a logistics standpoint, the Skirvin is probably more accessible at this point BECAUSE of all of the construction and streetscaping going on around the Colcord area. However, if you want a front-row seat of the downtown construction and development, the Colcord is the way to go.

If you are looking for something more "modern" and reliable, but also in the central downtown area, there is also the Sheraton, the Renaissance and the Marriott Courtyard. All are within 2 blocks of the entrance to Bricktown (Marriott Courtyard is right across the street), and so that makes walking to the entertainment district very easy.

If you want to stay in Bricktown itself, I believe there are only two offerings there at this time: Marriott Residence Inn, next to the Bass ProShop along Reno, and the Hampton Inn and Suites, just north of the Bricktown Ballpark along Main Street.

I'm certain others will pipe in with other ideas.

I would definitely stay at the Skirvin! The Colcord is nice as well, but I like the Skirvin better, and has a bar and restaurant on the first floor which is nice.

4. Default Re: Best hotel to stay in downtown

The street construction around the Colcord is done now. They added two panes of glass to all windows, so construction noise is not an issue. If you prefer not to overlook the construction, they can place you on the opposite side of the building if you request it. They have the largest rooms downtown as well and the cheapest parking rates.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by fsusurfer View Post
    Hey guys, poster from a long time ago here... bringing my wife with me to Oklahoma City for the FSU-OU game in September. Definatly want to stay downtown and was thinking the Skirvin but am up for other suggestions... Thanks for any help!
    I would recommend the Skirvin. It is an incredible hotel and you will come away with a unique experience. It is that unique OKC experience, in my opinion.

The Colcord is also a great hotel, but it is smaller, quieter, and not quite as grand and opulent. It does have some nice restaurants inside of it, including a La Baguette (an awesome French cafe and bakery with several Central Oklahoma locations), the XO Lounge. The Skirvin has the amazing Park Avenue Grill inside of it, as well as the Red Piano Lounge--although I'd give the Colcord the advantage on lounges/restaurants.

I would also recommend the Bricktown Hampton Inn, which is an urban-style Hampton Inn located in the heart of Bricktown. Nice hotel, especially for brand-new hotels, but it just doesn't have the opulence and grandeur of the Colcord and especially the Skirvin..

On a side note, can you guys imagine what a kickass boutique hotel the India Temple would make if that ever comes to pass? Imagine being able to recommend a boutique hotel to visitors, a building that was once a state capital and now the oldest currently standing building in downtown.

6. Default Re: Best hotel to stay in downtown

Thanks for the replys... i lived in deep deuce apts. for nearly 5 years and did some "exploring" in the Skirvin when it was being re-done. This is probably the last visit i'll make to OKC as all my friends in the area have since moved in the past few years. Excited to get back and show my wife the city and spend a couple more fun nights in Bricktown!

Or you could visit Bricktown and spend the night here: http://www.soonerlegends.com/Norman_..._ok_hotel.html

8. Default Re: Best hotel to stay in downtown

Skirv.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    Skirv.
    Truth.

10. Default Re: Best hotel to stay in downtown

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    the XO Lounge.
    closed. Private parties only.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Is it just me or doesn't "Skirvin" sound like some awful skin condition?

12. Default Re: Best hotel to stay in downtown

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    Sounds to me like a fancy old hotel, named in a time where not everything had to have corporate sheen and the owner simply named it after himself.

Your thinking of scabies.. lol

OMG you read my mind. All I can think of is SKURVY whenver the Skirvin is brought up. Ugh change that name already.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    Sounds to me like a fancy old hotel, named in a time where not everything had to have corporate sheen and the owner simply named it after himself.
    Here, then let me fix that for you:

SkirvInn.

16. Default Re: Best hotel to stay in downtown

Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information