|other=
    |
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

Links

Gallery

I'm glad to see St. Anthony starting there expansion project. I'm also glad they decided to stay downtown. Not having them downtown sure would've left a hole in the downtown renaissance.

---------
    "St. Anthony removes obstacle to expansion
    by Ted Streuli
    The Journal Record
    9/9/2004

Bricks and mortar tumbled to the ground Wednesday morning as St. Anthony Hospital took a major step toward expanding its midtown Oklahoma City campus.
    A demolition crew turned the 9,120-square-foot, 56-year-old Taber building to rubble, making way for a 100,000-square-foot medical office at 519 NW Ninth St.

Steve Hunter, president of St. Anthony's parent company, SSM Healthcare of Oklahoma, said renovating the Taber Building would have cost substantially more than a new building.

"It's not set up," Hunter said. "You just can't work within the bounds of the walls."

The health care company bought the property in July for $425,000 after leasing the building for several years. The new project is expected to cost $10 million to $12 million.

"We're growing," Hunter said. "We were out of physician office space."

St. Anthony spokeswoman Sandra Payne said the new building, scheduled to open in about two years, would provide office space for about 50 doctors.

"I hate to see it torn down," said Mary Stucks, manager of The Century, an apartment building across Ninth Street. "It's been here a long time."

Stucks said she wasn't concerned about noise or disorder resulting from the project.

"I don't know how much longer this (structure) will be here anyway," she said. "I'm not worried about it."

The new office building will be part of a substantial overhaul to St. Anthony, the result of a 2003 agreement with the city that will define the boundaries of the 30-acre campus, improve traffic flow, add landscaping and encourage revitalization of the deteriorating neighborhood. The hospital also plans a $30 million addition to its outpatient building that will create space for operating rooms. Another small St. Anthony's building at Ninth and Walker is scheduled for demolition, but no date has been set.

"I think it will all come together," Payne said. "As it happens it will create interest in business coming down here."
    Last edited by Pete; 03-19-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Default St. Anthony Hospital Campus Plan

I keep reading that a "campus plan" has been developed for St. Anthony's and it's been approved by OKC leaders.

But I've yet to see any sort of site plans/renderings/schematics, and here's what their contact person had to say in a returned email message:

"There aren't any renderings per se at this point. If you live in the area or travel by you will note that we are building on top of the hospital on the east side. That is where the new OR is going. The block across the street to the east will be developed into a much more attractive and convenient parking/entry, but we have no specific renderings. Our plan is to introduce generous landscaping to soften and shade the lot, as well as provide visible entryways and traffic flow guides to enhance efficiency.

Beyond that we are working with a team to develop a true campus plan with potential locations for new buildings (if and when they are needed) and enhancing landscaping, streetscaping and traffic flow. I doubt that will be ready much before the first of the year. "

Just thought some of you might be interested. Hopefully, we'll see some drawings early next year.

Default St. Anthony to break ground on new office building

St. Anthony to break ground on new office building: Lease-to-buy deal offered to tenants
    by Jerry Shottenkirk
    The Journal Record

5/18/2006 OKLAHOMA CITY - St. Anthony Hospital will break ground at 10 a.m. Friday on its future Medical Office Building at NW Ninth Street, between Dewey Avenue and Walker Avenue. As it does so, it is also presenting future tenants with an exclusive offering.

St. Anthony Hospital President Joe Hodges said the hospital is working with the Minnesota-based Frauenshuh Healthcare Real Estate Solutions and is offering physicians the opportunity to invest in a "Physicians Leasing and Ownership" program.

"We are providing an investment opportunity for physicians so that they can become equity owners in the building," Hodges said. "We did a national search for a real estate developer who specializes in medical office buildings and who would give equity ownership to the physicians. It's a nice partnership with Frauenshuh Healthcare Real Estate Solutions."

He said Frauenshuh Healthcare Real Estate Solutions was successful with a similar facility in St. Louis, and that is one reason St. Anthony Hospital decided to work with them.

"They gave us the best deal for our physicians," Hodges said.

A published report stated that the 80,000-square-foot Medical Office Building is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2007. The four-story $15 million building will house an Imaging Center, the Rapp Foundation Education Center and physicians' offices. The building is a part of the new St. Anthony Hospital Campus Plan that will be completed over the course of the next 10 years.

"The Medical Office Building is important for St. Anthony because there is such an excitement and energy in Midtown that we don't have any more room," he said. "We want St. Anthony's physicians to move onto our campus, but there was no more office space. Our hospital will lease 20,000 square feet for our new education center."

Hodges said the education center will have an outdoor view overlooking downtown Oklahoma City.

"We'll lease out the space to community groups who can come and have a community event," he said. "It will hold 500 people. We'll use the space for continuing computer education for staff and physicians and for continuing education for our nurses and for orientations."

The hospital is working on providing patients with more street-level parking and cover access for physicians and patients throughout the campus, in addition to exploring a vendor relationship in an effort to provide a coffee-deli bar at the Medical Office Building.

Hodges said St. Anthony Hospital's campus is more than a million square feet and takes up nearly four square blocks. While the hospital will continue to own the land where the new office building is located, it will not own the building.

"This is an exciting time for Oklahoma City and Midtown in particular," he said. "In five years, I don't believe people will be able to recognize what happened on St. Anthony's campus and the surrounding area."

The builder of the St. Anthony Medical Office Building is the Flintco Companies, and the architect is ADG - Architectural Design Group

Richard Wicka, executive vice president of Frauenshuh Healthcare Real Estate Solutions, said tenants of the St. Anthony Medical Office Building are now being offered ownership in the building, even before it is built.

"Tenants step in upon the completion of the building," Wicka said. "Our structure offers anyone who occupies space at the building the option to buy a percentage of the building equal to the space they lease divided by total footage. We're working on finalizing leases with a handful of physicians."

He said about 15 to 20 doctors will be able to lease space to own, but he was unable to discuss the price per square foot.

"We do health-care real estate nationwide," Wicka said. "It's at its peak right now. This is our first project in Oklahoma City. It is difficult for our competitors, who are usually institutional players, to be as flexible," Wicka said.

He said the Physicians Leasing and Ownership program allows great hospitals to attract talented physicians and to situate them on campus.

Founded in 1898, St. Anthony Hospital is a 615-bed tertiary care facility specializing in cardiology, oncology, surgery and behavioral medicine.

4. Default Re: St. Anthony to break ground on new office building

This new office building along with the recently completed addition to the east side of the adjacent hospital building are the main elements that will relocate the primary entrance for the hospital from the old Dewey entrance on the west. The hospital plans to add some surface parking and a lot of landscaped area between the new building and the new 10th and Walker round-a-bout.

Also, Saint Anthony has agreed to maintain the landscaping of the new round-a-bout, but unfortunately, the city has not done a very good job of getting the landscaping in shape to hand its care off to Saint's. Weeds need to be removed, a few trees need to be replaced and a little truck traffic damage to the planting beds repaired. Hopefully, that will take place soon, so that the investment in the area doesn't suffer a set back.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Default Re: St. Anthony to break ground on new office building

This is really cool,I wish I lived nearby I would help keep the weeds pulled.Where are the neighborhood assn. people?OKC ROCKS

Default St Anthony-area construction at 10th and Shartel

Does anyone know what is going on at the large construction site that just broke ground at 10th and Shartel? It's on the SW corner of the traffic circle there.

I am aware of plans for a new medical office building in that area and for another St Anthony's expansion phase, might have been a new emergency ward or something else, so if it's one of these that would be cool. I can imagine a new emergency ward would be a good use of that site because of it's great access to Classen being on the other side of the traffic circle.

Whatever it is, I just hope it is attractive and urban..and adds to MidTown. We do need to worry more about the area behind St. Anthony's because it seems like the majority of MidTown Renaissance housing is starting to cluster west of the Walker Circle, along Shartel, Francis, etc.

Default Re: St Anthony-area construction at 10th and Shartel

Does anyone know what is going on at the large construction site that just broke ground at 10th and Shartel? It's on the SW corner of the traffic circle there.
    Hey Nick, the construction is a stone's throw from my apartment. I've been really curious too - no sign is currently posted. I'll keep an eye out and will post something here when I find anything out.

It's a dialysis clinic.

Well that's not terribly exciting...

Well, it is a downtown-area vacant lot being developed, hopefully out to the street. Did the design go to DDRC or is Shartel not included?

Quote Originally Posted by mheaton76 View Post
    Well that's not terribly exciting...
    For people needing dialysis it may be very exciting news.

Blog Entries

I agree ljbab.

Sometimes people forget that development is for the improvement of life. Buildings serve people and are not just pieces of art. I am glad there is so much medical investment in the area downtown. That will draw people near to be close to the services.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Buildings serve people and are not just pieces of art.
    Care to extrapolate on this?

I think he means that the first purpose of buildings are to serve people and their uses. Any beauty that comes with it is a bonus. See Devon Tower, it's purpose is not to sit empty and look beautiful. It's purpose is to add efficiency to Devon by having everyone in the same building -- the beauty of the building is just an extra feature.

They have office space right now.

But they are scattered and not in the same building. That's not the point, keep your eye on the ball, Nick. Buildings = purpose first, beauty second.

So what is the functional necessity of a building downtown, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    So what is the functional necessity of a building downtown, then?
    Why argue just for the sake of arguing ?

Well, I'm not arguing. I hope a point I'm waiting to make..just waiting for someone to finish the point that was made offhand a few posts ago.

Blog Entries

Though this thread has just become a place for people to argue, I can't help posting. It is like watching a car wreck and going back to see it a second time. I swear if a kid helped an old lady across the street someone would argue over whether the boy was wearing the right clothes for the job. Someone else would argue that it was disrespectful to the lady. Another one would want a toll to go to the city for the use of the street. Another would want to run them both over because it was a public street and they ought to have the right to drive however the heck they want. And on, and on, and on.

Though this thread has just become a place for people to argue, I can't help posting. It is like watching a car wreck and going back to see it a second time. I swear if a kid helped an old lady across the street someone would argue over whether the boy was wearing the right clothes for the job. Someone else would argue that it was disrespectful to the lady. Another one would want a toll to go to the city for the use of the street. Another would want to run them both over because it was a public street and they ought to have the right to drive however the heck they want. And on, and on, and on.
    Is this one of your developer jokes that you have saved up for tense negotiating moments?

22. Default Re: St Anthony-area construction at 10th and Shartel

Here is a good read...

An ancient Roman architect named Vitruvius wrote that a building must be considered "with due reference to function, structure, and beauty" (Utilitas, Firmitas, and Venustas in his original Latin). This is an exquisite formulation; for all its antiquity it remains a useful framework for the preliminary analysis of a building. Vitruvius gave us the ABC of architecture.
    http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/o/ogorman-abc.html

Blog Entries

"Is this one of your developer jokes that you have saved up for tense negotiating moments?"

Mock if you want. Only on this board are we more worried about the brick on the building than celebrating the fact that a new dialysis center will help improve many lives.

I am glad the medical center is adding needed services. Convenient and available services are magnets for drawing people to an area. Adding more gets more people to midtown and that is good.

24. Default Re: St Anthony-area construction at 10th and Shartel

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Why argue just for the sake of arguing ?
    Because this is the life blood of OKC Talk! (Geez I'm glad it's back!)

"Is this one of your developer jokes that you have saved up for tense negotiating moments?"

Mock if you want. Only on this board are we more worried about the brick on the building than celebrating the fact that a new dialysis center will help improve many lives.
    For the record, in case others are taken aback, I was clearly joking with Rover with the above post. As for improving many lives, it's just a business. People go to med school, they graduate, they started businesses. A lot of people start businesses that improve lives. The Community Foundation's new building, despite being for a charity, is also not above urban design critiques.

Now, the point I was going to make is that when critiquing a building's urban design merits, WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR A LOT. In fact, we are asking that developers TAKE OFF the suburban bells and whistles. No, you don't need an enormous parking lot..even if a lot of people need dialysis. You don't need to waste land with a setback, even if people needing dialysis have something against the street. And so on.. often the most functional design IS the most urban design. Urban design IS seeking to maximize functionality with the surrounding environment, while suburban design is seeking to minimize functionality with the surrounding environment.

I just hope we don't end up with a ranch-style medical building.

And let me point out that we would not even be arguing over this (because we have seen NO renderings) if the anti-urbanists hadn't automatically seeked out the tension.

Thread Information