Widgets Magazine

Thread: 19th Street

Angry 19th Street

I swear man my blood pressure goes up 50 points everytime I travel through S. 19th street between Broadway and Telephone road. How much longer is that traffic light in front of Wal Mart going to be flashing yellow. I wish our city leaders and government officials would build a bridge and exit / entrance ramps at SE 34th street. How did Norman manage to get another exit off I-35 between Tecumseh and Robinson when there isn't nearly as much traffic. Sorry guys I know this has been brought up before, I just needed to vent.

Default Re: 19th Street

[QUOTE=cdbthunder;343775]I swear man my blood pressure goes up 50 points everytime I travel through S. 19th street between Broadway and Telephone road. How much longer is that traffic light in front of Wal Mart going to be flashing yellow. I wish our city leaders and government officials would build a bridge and exit / entrance ramps at SE 34th street. How did Norman manage to get another exit off I-35 between Tecumseh and Robinson when there isn't nearly as much traffic. Sorry guys I know this has been brought up before, I just needed to vent.[/QUOTE]

FYI, Norman did not get another exit, the new bridge that's being built is for traffic to cross I-35 and will not have access to I-35.

Are they going to stop the flashing yellow lights? I though that was part of their new plan, along with right turn only from walmart & riverwalk dr. It is MUCH better than having 3 stoplights in 200'.(only if people knew what a yellow flashing light meant, some people still stop and wait there, idiots)

My assumption only but once the construction is over, I'm guessing the wal-mart (present flashing yellow lights! - on another note, these are causing people to cause this road to be even more dangerous because people don't yield through this intersection & travel with caution ... instead, they STOP ... it's horrible when people stop at the flashing lights) lights will be turned back to 'normal' ...

and, c'mon, I drive this everyday - this intersection is busy, it will be better than it was. The couple-four months that they have been working on will be forgotten after all the intersection construction is done. have some patience ... better than I-35 going to Dallas! Better than living in Dallas & their traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by cdbthunder View Post
    I swear man my blood pressure goes up 50 points everytime I travel through S. 19th street between Broadway and Telephone road. How much longer is that traffic light in front of Wal Mart going to be flashing yellow. I wish our city leaders and government officials would build a bridge and exit / entrance ramps at SE 34th street. How did Norman manage to get another exit off I-35 between Tecumseh and Robinson when there isn't nearly as much traffic. Sorry guys I know this has been brought up before, I just needed to vent.
    The City can't just build a bridge on the snap of a finger. It is all about funding! The proposed 34th street bridge is supposed to be funded by ODOT, but heck they hardly have any money to start any new projects yet alone finish some projects. People just have patience and be greatful we actual have new business coming to the area unlike some cities in the country!

Quote Originally Posted by pearlbluevtx View Post
    on another note, these are causing people to cause this road to be even more dangerous because people don't yield through this intersection & travel with caution ... instead, they STOP ... it's horrible when people stop at the flashing lights) lights will be turned back to 'normal' ...
    Yeah, that really gets under my skin when people stop at the flashing yellow lights and then give you dirty looks for honking at them.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerkev View Post
    the city can't just build a bridge on the snap of a finger. It is all about funding! The proposed 34th street bridge is supposed to be funded by odot, but heck they hardly have any money to start any new projects yet alone finish some projects. People just have patience and be greatful we actual have new business coming to the area unlike some cities in the country!

was that you honking at me?, kj, also i love it when they pull out or in of walmart and almost clip three cars on 19th, seen it at least once a week, there is 4 other entrances into walmart, why not close this one on 19th up..

YES..what is it with people STOPPING ON A YELLOW LIGHT?????
    Or what is it with people stopping at the off ramp from 35 to the frontage road???
    This is why accidents happen, people simply don't pay attention or are distracted.
    Good news is, we just moved to Texas and I must say I don't miss 19th street traffic congestions.
    But I still have to drive through there every time I come back to visit.

Maybe if they fix the yellow lights, there would be no wrecks

no, there is nothing wrong with the yellow lights, it is the moron's that don't know what they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    no, there is nothing wrong with the yellow lights, it is the moron's that don't know what they mean.
    I have to disagree, i drove this area yesterday and it's just as much the drivers that have the flashing red lights and assume or expect the ones that have the flashing yellow lights to stop. I couldn't tell you how many I watched with flashing red lights stop and try to proceed as though they had the right-of-way.

[QUOTE=rcjunkie;343821]
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbthunder View Post
    I swear man my blood pressure goes up 50 points everytime I travel through S. 19th street between Broadway and Telephone road. How much longer is that traffic light in front of Wal Mart going to be flashing yellow. I wish our city leaders and government officials would build a bridge and exit / entrance ramps at SE 34th street. How did Norman manage to get another exit off I-35 between Tecumseh and Robinson when there isn't nearly as much traffic. Sorry guys I know this has been brought up before, I just needed to vent.[/QUOTE]

FYI, Norman did not get another exit, the new bridge that's being built is for traffic to cross I-35 and will not have access to I-35.
    Oh I did not know that I just assumed they were getting another exit because of the bridge. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The road construction is definitely going to help in my opinion but probably a new study should be done after its finished.

Right now it seems to me that it would make sense for the east-west traffic to normally be flashing yellow with the north-south being red. Then when traffic enters the north-south intersection the east-west traffic is given a red while the north-south gets a green.

The plans I've read about for the overpass at Moore's SW 34th over I-35 never contemplated I-35 access. Apparently it is terribly difficult and expensive to do that. Regardless it would really be nice to have that overpass at 34th.

I agree, bad place to have a stop light that flashes red and yellow after everyone is used to having to stop in all directions. The solution would have been simple turn off the stop light, cover up the the lights and then set up two temporary stopsigns.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I agree, bad place to have a stop light that flashes red and yellow after everyone is used to having to stop in all directions. The solution would have been simple turn off the stop light, cover up the the lights and then set up two temporary stopsigns.
    They did that once and it was terrible. Traffic backed way up both west and east on 19th. There isn't that much traffic from Riverwalk and there are options. Likewise on the north side from Wal-mart traffic has an option to leave the parking lot.

Oklahoma City tried a stop 4 way stop sign at SW 134th and I-44 for south bound traffic not terribly long ago and traffic was backed up onto I-44 for a mile and both ways on SW 134th. Didn't take long for them to remove those.

Thread Information