Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Paseo District

1. Default Re: Paseo District

It looks like there will be a Japanese restaurant going into the spot Rachel Cope bought. Excited to hear more details.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF7AA49A-B7E3-48D7-BB64-CBFB750456FD.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	15065

Default Re: Paseo District

Isn't Josh Valentine going to be involved with that?

If so, it should be a good spot in terms of food.

^

No, it's Rachel and her executive chef Jeff Chanchaleune.

4. Default Re: Paseo District

OKC needs more quality Japanese restaurants IMO, not just the gimmicky or trendy ones.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Just saw these picture of the Frida building: https://twitter.com/TylerBHolmes/sta...75876389408769

The new buildings in the Paseo are fantastic.

Sign on the door of The Root on 30th and Walker says is it permanently closed.

Blog Entries

dang that's a bummer and surprising

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    dang that's a bummer and surprising
    Not to me. I went right after they opened and they wanted to charge a cover. There wasn't a band playing and there was only a few people sitting at the bar. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I never went back. Good riddance.

Blog Entries

oh dang. I've only been while there have been bands.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Not to me. I went right after they opened and they wanted to charge a cover. There wasn't a band playing and there was only a few people sitting at the bar. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I never went back. Good riddance.
    It was probably before the previous 2 owner/managers. A few years ago they shifted the focus on beers, music and art. For about a year it was one of the city’s best kept secrets (hence why I’m not surprised it’s closed). Great beer, good music, crowds, but not too crowded on the weekends. Only in the past year has it really gone downhill. The music lineup was subpar, the beer was no longer one of the better selections in the area, and there were too many attempts at making the place into something it wasn’t.

I used to live right down the street, so it was awesome when I could just walk there and they were hitting all the right notes for beer and events. They filled a void in the Paseo for a bit before the whole renaissance happened. Then I moved further away and found it harder to justify making a trip up there, especially as the options in the Paseo have expanded exponentially.

I hope this space, along with the few spaces next to it can get a cohesive collection of restaurants, shops, and bars to complement the new Red Rooster.

Cover charge without a band?!?! What the heck?

Yeah, completely not surprising. The shows/acts The Root had were pretty decent, but to be honest, The Root itself really sucked. They have a little rooftop area that's big enough to actively be used, but the owner would almost never use it, except for some morning yoga classes, and those were super infrequent. Pretty much he only used to smoke pot with people up there before med MJ was legalized. Anyway, it just wasnt run very well. Oh well.

The entire building has been for sale for a while but it's a bit of a mess.

I think the early success of Red Rooster could make that whole building a very intriguing location.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    OKC needs more quality Japanese restaurants IMO, not just the gimmicky or trendy ones.
    Good thing this Japanese restaurant is being opened by one of the most capable duos in the area. Rachel and Jeff have put together great concepts over and over again across the metro. I wouldn’t worry about the quality or consistency of their food at this upcoming location.

The Paseo needs some maintenance. Copper thieves hit the streetlamps on one side of the street and they've been out for months. In addition, the neon lighting on the Paseo Grill building is in bad shape. Doesn't leave the best impression in my opinion. Hopefully these are things that get fixed in the near future, especially being that there are several new developments in the area.

The Paseo needs some maintenance. Copper thieves hit the streetlamps on one side of the street and they've been out for months. In addition, the neon lighting on the Paseo Grill building is in bad shape. Doesn't leave the best impression in my opinion. Hopefully these are things that get fixed in the near future, especially being that there are several new developments in the area.
    Hate to say this (because it shouldn't be the citizens' responsibility, but that's what it is for now), but have you reported the outages? I plan on going up and down Venice Blvd (since we live on it) and reporting all the lights out on it, and then start going down other streets (3 out of the 4 lights at NW 30th/May are out, etc.). Paseo Grill's neon might've gotten taken out during the high winds that we had there and on 23rd recently (don't think it was ever categorized as a tornado), unless it's been out longer than that, but we haven't been in the Paseo recently to know.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Hate to say this (because it shouldn't be the citizens' responsibility, but that's what it is for now), but have you reported the outages? I plan on going up and down Venice Blvd (since we live on it) and reporting all the lights out on it, and then start going down other streets (3 out of the 4 lights at NW 30th/May are out, etc.). Paseo Grill's neon might've gotten taken out during the high winds that we had there and on 23rd recently (don't think it was ever categorized as a tornado), unless it's been out longer than that, but we haven't been in the Paseo recently to know.
    I reported the streetlight outages to OG&E. You would think OKC would place a higher priority on keeping these working, especially in areas as popular as the Paseo.

Also, the neon on the Paseo Grill has been slowly going out over the past couple of years. It's definitely not a recent thing.

I reported the streetlight outages to OG&E. You would think OKC would place a higher priority on keeping these working, especially in areas as popular as the Paseo.

Also, the neon on the Paseo Grill has been slowly going out over the past couple of years. It's definitely not a recent thing.
    Yeah, OKC doesn't care, neither does OG&E, they both just pretend to. If they did care, they'd have done something real after the recent outcry about it. Oh, and you have to keep asking for status if you really want OG&E to give even half of a percent of a crap about it, I had to ask about 6 times in a month for the streetlight that was out in front of our house, and they eventually said they'd file a timeliness complaint with the contractor (and I think they have some kind of SLA for fixing outages, but not sure if it applies to copper theft).

Sucks about Paseo Grill, but seems like there are tons of places that (again) don't care about things like that, ancient painted signs that are half-gone, letterboard signs that have messages up that are months old, a bunch of lights out, crappy torn-up booths in restaurants, etc. I'm a bit surprised because Paseo Grill isn't some place running on the cheap like a lot of places are.

It looks like Burger Punk has applied for a building permit for the former location of The Root.

Blog Entries

nice! Go paseo!

The Library, the clothing rental store next door to Frida, has flooded. Yikes...

an upcoming philly cheesesteak joint called "philly homa" came across my facebook feed this morning... their listing says 'paseo' but no address listed as of yet.

https://www.facebook.com/Philly-Homa...3191561397307/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96292967_103232354726561_3556845434964017152_n.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	16050

^

Taking the old Buttermilk space.

25. Default Re: Paseo District

Oh man. It's really good

Thread Information