Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Paseo District

Default Re: Paseo District

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    $700,000 building permit filed for 500 NW 28th. Looks like the SW/C of Walker and NW 28th Street.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-buil...rticle/5585887
    That's Frida.

Work should be starting soon.

The Paseo is taking off and we break down all the new projects

The Paseo is one of Oklahoma City's first urban districts, blending arts and culture and eclectic businesses and surrounded by an interesting mix of housing of all types.

After decades of watching other districts like The Plaza and Midtown and neighoring Uptown get all the attention with lots of new restaurants, bars and retail, The Paseo is in now the middle of a new wave of expansion and redevelopment that is bringing new life and interest to the area, along with growing crowds.

One of the district's anchors and biggest draws, the well-loved Picasso Cafe, continues it's popular run after a modest but impactful renovation. Even more attention was paid to the adjoining bar, The Other Room, which has seen a thorough remodeling complete with new booths and a freshening that retained the nieghborhood bar charm while making welcome improvements inlcuding cozy new booths. One of the biggest changes is that the bar is now non-smoking apart from the expansive back patio.

Proprietor Shaun Fiaccone and his Humankind Hospitality group also has three new projects underway in the district. The ambitious Frida is now well under construction at the key corner of NW 28th and Walker, already starting to fill a vacant lot at the district's south entrance. Frida will feature southwestern cuisine, a large patio and The Daley will be separate craft cocktail bar with its own identity.

This week, work started on OSO, Humankind's venture at the Pueblo at Paseo, an elevated taqueria with a creative cocktail menu and a design by AHMM architects that will create a large outdoor space covered by a modern trellis.

OSO will join the already popular Scratch and Buttermilk Southern Sliders, each with their own patios at the Pueblo complex and each already cultivating a loyal following.

The Pueblo, the first completely new build in the Paseo in decades, is completely leased with Braid Creative, Smash Bangles, Herban Gardens, Camp Pixel and Eric Bloemer Photography.

Next to Frida, the Paseo Studios project is also under construction and will provide small retail and gallery space right along Walker, stretching the Paseo south while the northern edge of Updtown is an easy few blocks to the south.

Nearby, Holey Rollers has brought a much needed coffee / beverage / pastry place to the heart of the district which along with Buttermilk provides morning activity to the district for commuters and locals who often walk from the surrounding neighborhoods.

At NW 30th & Walker The Root continues to offer live music and lots of craft beer while El Fogoncito recently opened with delicious Mexican food served in a friendly and casual atmosphere.

And the Red Rooster will soon reopen under new management after a full remodel and expanded kitchen, as the historic bar will also go non-smoking.

All of this added to the exisitng galleries, boutiques and restaurants that has always made The Paseo one of the most charming and unique spots in OKC.

3. Default Re: Paseo District

The sleeping giant is waking up

I have to say that I've become a big fan of The Other Room.

Such a great neighborhood bar and the changes were great without destroying any of the character. Plus, they recently revised their beer list and while you can still buy some inexpensive brands, they have a decent assortment of craft beers too.

I'm starting to regret not having bought within walking distance of the Paseo and Uptown. Still some affordable housing and rentals, which is why this area should never become completely gentified and thus deprived of its charm.

5. Default Re: Paseo District

I told someone yesterday that if I were buying residential property right now it would be in Paseo/Jefferson Park/Central Park. After decades of incremental changes it is now at a major tipping point.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I told someone yesterday that if I were buying residential property right now it would be in Paseo/Jefferson Park/Central Park. After decades of incremental changes it is now at a major tipping point.
    But there are still some pretty rough areas, which is actually an opportunity.

People who complain about the high price of for-sale and rental property in the core should spend some time in this area. All types of property at a very wide range of prices.

7. Default Re: Paseo District

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    But there are still some pretty rough areas, which is actually an opportunity.

People who complain about the high price of for-sale and rental property in the core should spend some time in this area. All types of property at a very wide range of prices.
    Yeah, that was certainly what I was getting at. Seems like a good time to buy there before it gets bid up like Classen Ten Penn did as a result of Plaza District success. Paseo has much better bones than Plaza or really any district in OKC, and the surrounding housing stock is overall far better than it was for Plaza, but pockets of opportunity still exist and it hasn't had a bunch of speculation yet.

Empire Slice House group has bought a key building in the Paseo and planning a new restaurant and bar.

Paseo getting ready to kick into high gear.

http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r...t-in-the-Paseo

Craig's is relocating to Classen and 23rd, which I am sure has something to do with this. Kind of disappointed in that because that store really added to the Paseo's unique flavor. However, it will be nice to see yet another restaurant and bar. I wonder how Craig's will do being in a more auto-oriented setting?

That’s sad about Craig’s. It is an institution in the Paseo.

Any idea what the concept will be for this new bar/restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Craig's is relocating to Classen and 23rd, which I am sure has something to do with this. Kind of disappointed in that because that store really added to the Paseo's unique flavor. However, it will be nice to see yet another restaurant and bar. I wonder how Craig's will do being in a more auto-oriented setting?
    Interesting, wonder exactly where? Lots of places they could go. And yeah, they seem to be more of a "walk-by, how-cool-is-this-let's-go-in" place, not a destination someone would drive to or stop by if driving past...

13. Default Re: Paseo District

^^^^^^^^
    Apparently the old, long-empty Rainbow Records location.

Regarding Craig's Emporium, I have been working on a story about this but will share the basics.

The 23rd and Classen location was to be a 2nd store. Work already started before the builiding in the Paseo was sold and even after it did change hands, both the new landlord and Craig wanted to work things out.

For whatever reason that didn't happen (the coming restaurant actually needed some of Craig's space, among other issues) and now the new location will become the only location.

The space is actually what has been most recently used as Macia's Dance Center, just west of Classen on 23rd.

15. Default Re: Paseo District

Bummed about Craig’s leaving Paseo. It’s an institution there and I’ve always loved going in, partly because of the space. Glad it survives, but Paseo’s character changes a bit. Such is the nature of commercial districts. That said, I’d much rather have seen one of the rarely-open art galleries replaced instead.

Yeah, it's very similar to some of the Plaza tenants going out.

All part of a district changing and evolving.

That dance studio is where my wife and I had dance lessons before our wedding. I guess it's out of business now?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    That dance studio is where my wife and I had dance lessons before our wedding. I guess it's out of business now?
    Yes, Craig has already gutted the place.

What kind of business is Craig's?

20. Default Re: Paseo District

^^^^^^^^^^^
    It's a funky gift shop with a really bohemian vibe. Candles, incense, garden art, jewelry, books, some stuff that borders on the old Starwind. LBGTQ-friendly stuff, greeting cards, statuary, essential oils, ornaments at Christmas time. It is a definite throwback to the nineties...in a very good way though.

Here is a video: https://www.facebook.com/11427934196...5601872832197/

21. Default Re: Paseo District

Double post.

Duh...I have been there...just didn't pick up on the name of the place

Will Craig's keep the exterior as is?

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Will Craig's keep the exterior as is?
    I believe so and I'm sure that was a big part of the draw to that particular space.

With Kathy's out of business now, does anybody know what might take it's place? It's a pretty prominent location (shares a building with Paseo Grill).

Thread Information