Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth now has updated aerials of OKC

Default Google Earth now has updated aerials of OKC

Just in case anyone is curious, Google Earth and Google Maps have now posted updated aerial images of Central Oklahoma. Just guessing by the vegetation color, I'm guessing it was taken in late winter/early spring of this year.

Take a look for yourself. Its neat to see how things have filled in over the past few years.

http://maps.google.com/

Default Re: Google Earth now has updated aerials of OKC

Looks like our neighborhood was taken about March of this year.

I think it was taken around April 8th when comparing it to my Devon pics

Maybe what we need to do is pass a law requiring any aerial photography to be taken from April to October. (kidding, but my point remains)

I-40 is coming along. Its hard to believe that it is going to take 2 more years to complete. You can see the route on the eastern and western sides. Walker and Robinson are the only two bridges they have left to build except for the overpasses that lead to a eventual boulevard.

When google eventually updates its images again I-40 should be complete and Devon tower will be topped-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Maybe what we need to do is pass a law requiring any aerial photography to be taken from April to October. (kidding, but my point remains)
    Well, if their going to leave the same image for over three years they could be nice enough to take a spring photo so people don't think OKC is a barren wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggober View Post
    I think it was taken around April 8th when comparing it to my Devon pics
    I'd say you are about right. April 8, or a few days afterwards.

Food court tents are already set up for Arts Festival, as is the performance plaza. At the same time, Hudson is not yet closed off and the artist tents are not up.

Keen eye!

From what I see, it appears to be Octber/ early November 2007.
    I base this on pictures of the OMRF parking garage which I worked on.

9. Default Re: Google Earth now has updated aerials of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO View Post
    From what I see, it appears to be Octber/ early November 2007.
    I base this on pictures of the OMRF parking garage which I worked on.
    Maybe different parts of the city were done at different times. I see my car in the driveway of the house I've only lived in since April 2009.

Checkout Boathouse Row... looks MUCH different.

I can tell a big difference now. Several areas on the northeast side of the city look a lot more filled in now.

OH NO!!!! Look behind Union Station!!! They forgot to tear out that last rail line!!! What if it is still able to utilized!!!

I notice that Google Earth still doesn't have the a 3D image of the Oklahoma Tower...

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    OH NO!!!! Look behind Union Station!!! They forgot to tear out that last rail line!!! What if it is still able to utilized!!!
    Me and some boys are going down there tonight with pick axes. Problem solved. If we don't nip this kind of thing in the bud someone might try to put a railyard and distribution facility there.

They were taken April 8-10th. We had a flight from Atlanta to Las Vegas that had to divert to OKC because of engine issues. This plane sat at OKC from the 8th to the 10th and can be seen at the airport sitting southeast of the terminal.

Way Cool!!! I love Google earth and it's great to see the pics of Okc as it changes.

Is that the Oklahoma River just south of downtown? I don't remember it looking so prominent in the prior aerial photos. Impressive!

18. Default Re: Google Earth now has updated aerials of OKC

Classen Curve looks pretty good from this angle. Also noteworthy up there is the cleared space where Whole Foods is going.

The Images were taken on April 9, 2010. Google Earth says the date if you look down in the bottom left corner.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Is that the Oklahoma River just south of downtown? I don't remember it looking so prominent in the prior aerial photos. Impressive!
    I don't think the dams were completed in prior aerial photos. The last photos were about 3-4 years old.

The last photos in google maps anyway were 6-7 years old as the Library didn't have the skylights in. The library was moved into May 1st, 2004.

22. Default Re: Google Earth now has updated aerials of OKC

Some of them are even newer because they've got Midwest City with some REALLY new stuff! It's nice to know they are updating finally after it being so far out of date for so long.

They take the photos on purpose during the part of the year when the leaves are off the trees for a very simple reason. So that you can see what is on the ground better.

24. Default Re: Google Earth now has updated aerials of OKC

Looks like they didn't follow that rule this time. The City is green and looks so much better and alive in these photos.

Wow, Tri City in Newcastle is updated, as well as my addition in Tuttle. As of last week when I last checked my area still showed a green field. However a search for my address still lands in Mustang, not Tuttle.

Thread Information