Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

Default Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

I read on the Business Insider website that Macy's Penn Square is one of the top 25 stores targeted for closing after the holiday season. That would completely eliminate Macy's from the OKC market. Does anyone have any information on this? Is it definite that it will close or is that just speculation?

Default Re: Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

Sounds like a good place for a Nordstrom.

I doubt Macy's would close their Penn Square location, if anything they'd close one of the Tulsa locations.

Wow if that's true then very embarrassing for OKC if the city really can't even retain a Macy's.

Do you have a link to that? I don't buy it.

Never mind just found it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-...losing-2016-11

You know, imo, it's rather sad to see these closing. I can certainly understand some of them, but hopefully they can somehow stay in business. They just spent a sh!tload of money on the new downtown Los Angeles Flagship store. Sad to see the Times Square Toy R Us go away. Sears. Radio Shack. FAO. I would think with an adaptive business model they could survive. Darwin wasn't wrong, though.

Online retailing is still trying to destroy brick and mortar. Yet, Amazon is trying to show how it can be saved by recently opening a grocery store with no checkout lines. Just check into the store with your smartphone. Why didn't Wal-mart think of that with their Neighborhood Market stores? However, not sure it would save department stores like Macy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Wow if that's true then very embarrassing for OKC if the city really can't even retain a Macy's.
    I really don't think it is embarrassing. I know most of my friends shop online for EVERYTHING! I shop for clothes on Nordstrom's website. If they opened here, I would shop in store. Aside from that, I (and most people) havve very little need to shop at Macy's (especially since OKC's is garbage).

9. Default Re: Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How is that 'embarrassing for OKC' -- I think it's far more embarrassing for Macy's.

What, Oklahoman's just aren't hip enough to get they should be buying their clothes from Macy's?

I've bought a shirt or two at Macy's in the past, but it's certainly not my goto place. There is nothing unique about their offerings... I can get the same stuff other places and all without going to the mall, often cheaper and if shopping online - no sales tax.

These are the same obstacles most every B&M store faces. The difference being, Macy's should have the marketing talent and budget to overcome or at least compete in spite of those obstacles.

Shame on Macy's, not shame on OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    How is that 'embarrassing for OKC' -- I think it's far more embarrassing for Macy's.

What, Oklahoman's just aren't hip enough to get they should be buying their clothes from Macy's?

I've bought a shirt or two at Macy's in the past, but it's certainly not my goto place. There is nothing unique about their offerings... I can get the same stuff other places and all without going to the mall, often cheaper and if shopping online - no sales tax.

These are the same obstacles most every B&M store faces. The difference being, Macy's should have the marketing talent and budget to overcome or at least compete in spite of those obstacles.

Shame on Macy's, not shame on OKC.
    Wish we had a "Like" button. All I can say is "right there with ya..." Macy's is the last place I look for most anything. Not up to me to go there because some hipsters say I should.

I would be very surprised if that Macy's closed as the mall is booming otherwise.

Worst case, I'm sure they could find a replacement tenant very quickly.

12. Default Re: Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

If Penn Square could get Nordstrom I'd be okay with this. The QSM Macy's was HORRIBLE. The PSM Macy's is better, but is still pretty bad. It just does not compare to Dillard's (at Penn or Quail), which I think is their main competition. It also does not compare to Macy's in other cities in which I have visited. If you go into Macy's in other cities the selection is far superior to the selection in OKC. If Macy's closes it has no-one to blame but itself.

I TRIED to give them a chance, but Foley's was so much better (who would have thought?). I haven't bought anything at either OKC Macy's in 2-3 years. Of course all that's left is Penn, but the selection just doesn't compare to Dillard's, and they bombard you with in-store brands whose design is blasé. Why go there over Dillard's?

Having said that, if Penn can't secure Nordstrom, I would hope Macy's can stay open. I would hate for Penn to have to devalue to a Belk or something. Of course, a Saks or Von Maur or something would be good if Nordstrom wouldn't come.

I think it is speculation that Macy's would close at Penn Square. They just closed at Quail this year. The list that Business Insider relied on was actually generated last August and included Quail Springs Mall. It did not include Penn Square. PSM Macy's is underperforming, but they have restructured their staffing after the QSM Macy's closed and are hoping to reinvigorate sales at PSM.

I think Macy's will stay at PSM for the foreseeable future. If things progress, Macy's could close at PSM several years down the road, and if that happens, Nordstrom would be the best tenant for that space.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    If Penn Square could get Nordstrom I'd be okay with this. The QSM Macy's was HORRIBLE. The PSM Macy's is better, but is still pretty bad. It just does not compare to Dillard's (at Penn or Quail), which I think is their main competition. It also does not compare to Macy's in other cities in which I have visited. If you go into Macy's in other cities the selection is far superior to the selection in OKC. If Macy's closes it has no-one to blame but itself.

I TRIED to give them a chance, but Foley's was so much better (who would have thought?). I haven't bought anything at either OKC Macy's in 2-3 years. Of course all that's left is Penn, but the selection just doesn't compare to Dillard's, and they bombard you with in-store brands whose design is blasé. Why go there over Dillard's?

Having said that, if Penn can't secure Nordstrom, I would hope Macy's can stay open. I would hate for Penn to have to devalue to a Belk or something. Of course, a Saks or Von Maur or something would be good if Nordstrom wouldn't come.
    I would love Nordstrom, too, but I have read that they are cutting way back on new store openings and that most of their new store openings will be Nordstrom Rack, which we already have. I also know from living on the West Coast for most of my life that Nordstrom tends to only go into malls with certain other upscale stores such as Saks. Is Von Maur doing well enough at Quail Springs to warrant a second OKC location?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    I think it is speculation that Macy's would close at Penn Square. They just closed at Quail this year. The list that Business Insider relied on was actually generated last August and included Quail Springs Mall. It did not include Penn Square. PSM Macy's is underperforming, but they have restructured their staffing after the QSM Macy's closed and are hoping to reinvigorate sales at PSM.

I think Macy's will stay at PSM for the foreseeable future. If things progress, Macy's could close at PSM several years down the road, and if that happens, Nordstrom would be the best tenant for that space.
    No, this was published on November 21st, 2016. It does begin with a list of confirmed closures that includes Quail Springs, but if you continue to read, there is a list of 28 possible closures for 2017 and Penn Square is on that list. http://www.businessinsider.com/list-...losing-2016-11

From the they-only-have-themselves-to-blame files...

I ordered something from them on-line and elected to pick it up in the store rather than have it shipped.

So, I go over there today and I can't find the on-line pickup spot. I stood in a long line just to be told I was in the wrong place. When I found it, it was just a regular register with people buying stuff, so I again waited in a long line.

An employee noticed me clutching my on-line receipt and volunteered to retrieve my item. After about 10 minutes she came back with it.

As the same time the woman in front of me was now 15 minutes into trying to do a credit application through their point of sale. She didn't know what she was doing and was nowhere close to even completing that let alone completing her purchase.

So, I realized I had already paid for the darn item, was holding in my hand and I just left. Not going to stand in line forever just so someone could verify I had already paid for something.

Get a better process Macy's! At least have a dedicated place for on-line stuff. And please, please stop trying to sell every single person on a Macy's account and then have them stand at the register forever inputting their info while legions wait.

I will also say that Macy's has moved into a merchandising model whereby they pack as many racks as they can in the store, including the aisles.

And, they then jam stuff on the racks so tightly you can barely get to the things of interest.

I realize this is a desperate attempt to squeeze more sales out of the same square footage, but from my perspective, this approach is a great disincentive to go into one of their increasingly junky stores.

This is all relatively new because they have been in California for decades and had always been a pretty nice store.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Online retailing is still trying to destroy brick and mortar. Yet, Amazon is trying to show how it can be saved by recently opening a grocery store with no checkout lines. Just check into the store with your smartphone. Why didn't Wal-mart think of that with their Neighborhood Market stores? However, not sure it would save department stores like Macy's.
    The no line Amazon grocery store sounds too good to be true. It would be great!

I'm with many others on here. If Macy's can't make it work at one of the better malls like PSM, then they can't make it anywhere. It's actually pretty amazing that PSM does as well as it does. Malls are not the place to be anymore. I have two teenage sons and neither go to the mall to just hang with friends and they would rather not shop at the mall. They only go if they have to. It's not the '80s anymore, malls are having a tough time all over the place. PSM is doing quite well in those regards.

At 11AM this morning, you could barely find a space.

I agree that there are now lots of other options, but that mall in particular seems to be going very strong.

But besides being a hassle here's my other big gripe about malls: They've turned into a gauntlet of annoying salespeople hassling you every step of the way. Gets really old.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post

Yeah, that article has nothing but speculation about Penn Square.

- The only impending closures that Macy's has confirmed are the following:
    -- List that does not include Penn Square

- In August, Morningstar analysts identified 28 stores that are most at risk for closures.
    -- Analysis from an credit rating firm, not actually Macy's, does include Penn Square

- The business analytics firm 1010data has also made a prediction on where closures are most likely.
    -- Another non-Macy's source, list does not include Penn Square

Someone might check me, but the last time I was in the store, perhaps 6 months ago, there was no public men's room. The upstairs bathroom was closed. Surely a temporary thing???

Quote Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
    Someone might check me, but the last time I was in the store, perhaps 6 months ago, there was no public men's room. The upstairs bathroom was closed. Surely a temporary thing???
    Yes, it's back open now.

24. Default Re: Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

I dont buy it either. This wasnt the store announcing but analysts opinions. its too good a location. As for Nordstroms, if Macys cant make it, no way Nordstrom will since it is significantly more expensive.

25. Default Re: Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

When my Spanish friend and I were planning her trip to visit me in 2014 she was really excited to come here and shop at Macys. In the past she has had me order stuff online and ship it for her, and it was one of her favorite US retailers. When she came we went there and we spent a long time shopping there. She was thoroughly disappointed because all the clothes were "for old ladies" and I think she only ended up buying some seashell themed towels for the bathroom. The Macy's in OKC seems to only cater to the rich old ladies in Nichols Hills. I also took her to the Outlet Mall and she fell in love with that, we ended up going there three times, and she spent thousands there. (She likes expensive purses).

Thread Information