Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cinemark Tinseltown

Default Re: Cinemark Tinseltown

I don’t think they should be abolished but they definitely need to have more variances allowed.

Many cities don't have parking codes. OKC doesn't have any at all downtown and in all the urban districts.

The thought is that it's up to the business/property owner to worry about that and if they think they can make something work without an ocean of their own parking, that's up to them.

If the city is going to require all these parking spaces, they should also require much more landscaping. They've upped this slightly, but not nearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Again, those huge parking lots are required by local codes.
    There are other codes at work too. Here is their Landscaping and Screening Code:

(2)Landscaping and Screening
    (a)In addition to the general landscaping requirements of Article XI, Landscaping and Screening Regulations, a minimum of five percent of the front and side yard areas of each property shall be landscaped on all properties, except single-family residential.
    (b)A landscaping plan shall be required as part of the site plan submitted for a building permit. This plan shall show detailed landscape treatment of the area within the street right-of-way between the property line and the curb, and all other areas to be landscaped, as stipulated and required by this section. If landscaping is to be used for sight-proof screening, the entire plan may be contained in a single submission.
    (c)It shall be the responsibility of the property owner to maintain, in good condition, all of the improvements required by this section. Any landscape vegetation which dies shall be replaced.

(3)Maintenance of Existing Trees
    (a)A sketch plan showing the location and approximate diameter and height of all existing healthy trees within the property shall be required as part of the site plan submittal for a building permit. This shall include all trees in excess of six inches in diameter, as measured two feet above the tree base. These trees shall be classified as significant trees. Structures and paved areas shall be sited in such a way as to ensure the preservation of significant tree specimens where possible, provided that significant trees may be removed if certified as diseased by a duly qualified arborist.
    (b)Clearing, grubbing and site grading shall be conducted in such a fashion so as to avoid damage to, and disturbance of, significant trees and/or tree clusters.

Chapter 59, Article 13, SS 59-13650.9 (D).

I can't easily tell how many seats they have in the theater and the permit didn't mention the total number of seats, but their original Planned Unit Development document required one (1) parking space for every 3.75 theater seats.
    It also required 10% landscaped open space (areas not covered by buildings, drives, or parking).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-12-30 14_40_17-Cinemark Tinseltown and XD - Google Maps and 11 more pages - Work - Microsof.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	17261

So I think they probably meet their 10% requirement. And could probably do a bit better if they wanted to.

EDIT:
    If anyone is interested, the Landscape Requirements are at Chapter 59, Article 11, SS 59-11250.
    Section E includes landscaping for Automotive Parking Lot landscape requirements. Including the internal landscaped areas like islands and peninsulas.
    This stuff gets complicated with all their points and everything. o.O
    Last edited by fortpatches; 12-30-2021 at 02:03 PM. Reason: update

Many cities don't have parking codes. OKC doesn't have any at all downtown and in all the urban districts.

The thought is that it's up to the business/property owner to worry about that and if they think they can make something work without an ocean of their own parking, that's up to them.

If the city is going to require all these parking spaces, they should also require much more landscaping. They've upped this slightly, but not nearly enough.
    I’m trying to understand the reason behind requiring this much parking if it’s never used? Seriously I can’t think of a time when I’ve ever seen the far out spaces used.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’m trying to understand the reason behind requiring this much parking if it’s never used? Seriously I can’t think of a time when I’ve ever seen the far out spaces used.
    You could say that about almost every big parking lot in OKC.

I've never, ever not been able to find a spot anywhere in this town.

You could say that about almost every big parking lot in OKC.

I've never, ever not been able to find a spot anywhere in this town.
    Anytime anyone in Oklahoma City ever complains about parking I want to bust out laughing. It’s also hard not to laugh when I park at a big box store, walk up to the entrance, and see a car circling around looking for a spot that was doing the same thing when I first pulled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Anytime anyone in Oklahoma City ever complains about parking I want to bust out laughing. It’s also hard not to laugh when I park at a big box store, walk up to the entrance, and see a car circling around looking for a spot that was doing the same thing when I first pulled in.
    I can think of many stores in SoCal where I couldn't find a space at all.

Many was the time I just returned another time or parked far away and hiked.

That has never happened in my non-continuous 35 years in OKC. A few years ago, I was even able to find a free on-street space near Bricktown on NYE.

I can think of many stores in SoCal where I couldn't find a space at all.

Many was the time I just returned another time or parked far away and hiked.

That has never happened in my non-continuous 35 years in OKC. A few years ago, I was even able to find a free on-street space near Bricktown on NYE.
    I had that issue with Trader Joe’s in Toluca lake. Not only was the lot gridlocked but all street parking was occupied for blocks. I tried parking in a red zone(not near a fire hydrant) for just 5 mins and I got a ticket. Never even saw the parking enforcement. We are definitely blessed with parking but there is also a negative to it with how dependent people become and won’t want to go anywhere if they can’t park right there.

It’s one of my biggest gripes about people here. Too many lazy people. Even if you want to plan a hike or a walk the relative humidity has to be just so and if they see a cloud they’ll cancel saying it might rain. I jest of course but I did have a lady friend of mine who canceled on me once because she claimed she couldn’t find parking and wanted me to come out and go somewhere else. I was already inside and I just ignored it. Frustrating.

^

I know that TJ's -- always slammed.

When I lived in Manhattan Beach, there was a TJ's near me and on my way home from work. I'd actually go out of my way to avoid it because cars were almost always parked in traffic, backed up from the lot.

Anyway, show me a parking lot in OKC and I'll show you one that is 90% vacant the large majority of the time.

Yeah I’m legitimately trying to think of the most used lot that comes to mind. I want to say Costco but even then that lot is 3/4 full at most and that’s rare. I think the busiest lot that comes to mind is the target lot by Quail Springs. Even that one always has parking available.

11. Default Re: Cinemark Tinseltown

I wish they would add at least one or maybe 2 family bathrooms, It makes those of us with children or handicapped people go to the bathroom there. I love that theater. It's our theater of choice. I hope the remodeling won't mean that the ticket prices will go up.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    I wish they would add at least one or maybe 2 family bathrooms, It makes those of us with children or handicapped people go to the bathroom there. I love that theater. It's our theater of choice. I hope the remodeling won't mean that the ticket prices will go up.
    +1.

We purposely go out of our way to Tinseltown because it is not a "fully immersive refinance your house for a night out" experience. Cheaper movie tickets for a family/group and the place is well kept and concession prices are reasonable.

Not every theatre needs to be a Mathis Brothers La-Z-Boy studio. I'm afraid this remodel will justify raising of prices as well.

Thread Information