Widgets Magazine

Thread: walmart grocery plans for major remodel

Default walmart grocery plans for major remodel

The walmart off 4th and eastern will undergo a a 3 month remodeling starting in about a month, this will be large remodeling of everything inside the store. Wonder what it will look like, does anybody know what the new walmart grocery stores look like?

Default Re: walmart grocery plans for major remodel

I don't know, but it seems a lot of Wal-Marts are remodeling. The east side Wal-Mart in Stillwater is currently remodeling inside and out. Walking into the store is funny reading one of the signs. It says pet food is now by the eggs.

YouTube - New Walmart opens

The last few Walmarts I've been in thats remodeled looks like this. Expect tons of baby blue. Everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    YouTube - New Walmart opens

The last few Walmarts I've been in thats remodeled looks like this. Expect tons of baby blue. Everywhere.
    This Walmart is a Neighborhood Market, not a Supercenter.

They can remodel all they want and we will still shop at Crest. Customer service/Clean stores/Wider isles/Selection all still matter to the customer. The mistake they made when building these are they were based on convenience and not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by bunchakids View Post
    They can remodel all they want and we will still shop at Crest. Customer service/Clean stores/Wider isles/Selection all still matter to the customer.
    I agree completely. Crest is LOCALLY owned. And while it's true Wal-Mart employs local employees, more of my money stays here if I can shop at a locally-owned store.

Wal-Mart continues to rebrand itself (most brands do evolve) in an effort to capture Gen X and Gen Yers, especially trying to go after "hipsters" with different merchandise and brighter, cleaner stores. I just don't see it happening. The TARGET generation is fiercely, fiercely loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    I agree completely. Crest is LOCALLY owned. And while it's true Wal-Mart employs local employees, more of my money stays here if I can shop at a locally-owned store.

Wal-Mart continues to rebrand itself (most brands do evolve) in an effort to capture Gen X and Gen Yers, especially trying to go after "hipsters" with different merchandise and brighter, cleaner stores. I just don't see it happening. The TARGET generation is fiercely, fiercely loyal.
    For the most part, I agree with shopping at locally owned stores, however, like Walmart, probably 95% of the items sold at Crest are purchased from out-of-state wholesalers. So how much of a difference does shopping locally really make ?

Not much. It's like buying a Chevy or a Toyota. They are both made in the US by US workers and constructed of parts made all over the world. The only difference is the final few bucks stay either in the US with GM or in Japan with Toyota. The difference wtih Crest is that the final bucks stay here. All t hings being equal, I'll go where the bucks stay here.

The Walmart Neighborhood Market remodel is an epic failure in my opinion. The aisles are extremely narrow. I just got back from there and vow not to go back, ever. It was my favorite place to shop as I have physical limitations and a small store is huge convenience to me.

Even my 14 year old granddaughter remarked she couldn't stand the remodel. This is without me saying one word about it. She said she especially doesn't like the west end with the tall wall going around the corner, where the deli used to be.

Lots of folks were walking around in utter confusion. "Where's the bread?" is one thing I heard a lot. It was my question also. I asked someone and he said on aisle 7. Hmmm, he forgot to tell me there were now 2 aisle 7's, one labled in paper at the end of the aisle.

Hope the narrow aisles are temporary. It feels like shopping in GFF now, and I don't like that store at all. Guess I'm stuck with Crest.

10. Default Re: walmart grocery plans for major remodel

You're not "stuck" with Crest... You should be praising the Lord that we have Crest!

yes mixing mary fallen with a grocery conversation makes perfect since because mary fallen sure loves her sausage links and all types of link products.. hey didnt she mess around with a okc firefighter who was a married man, not to long ago.. well i guess some forget, I wonder when she applied for governor she added home wrecker in her carrier column..im not voting for someone who would do that

12. Default Re: walmart grocery plans for major remodel

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    yes mixing mary fallen with a grocery conversation makes perfect since because mary fallen sure loves her sausage links and all types of link products.. hey didnt she mess around with a okc firefighter who was a married man, not to long ago.. well i guess some forget, I wonder when she applied for governor she added home wrecker in her carrier column..im not voting for someone who would do that
    Jesseda, please read the title of this topic.

"walmart grocery plans for major remodel"

We are discussing the remodeling of Walmart's grocery stores (and stores containing grocery department). There was no need for you to start talking about Mary Fallin (and it is not spelled 'fallen'). Please get back on topic.

Wifey also complained about the narrow aisles and the checker did say it was only temporary

Mrs. AACC has rediscovered Homeland, and came home raving out of her mind with praise about the produce and meat departments. Her visit to Crest didn't garner similar accolades, but she said the displays and layouts reminded her of a local large-chain grocery store we used to patronize back in Maryland (Giant Food Stores, if you're ever up that way).

Point of the post is: Walmart Neighborhood Market = Adios, Walmart Supercenter = only as needed (non-grocery category)

Quote Originally Posted by AAC2005 View Post
    Mrs. AACC has rediscovered Homeland, and came home raving out of her mind with praise about the produce and meat departments. Her visit to Crest didn't garner similar accolades, but she said the displays and layouts reminded her of a local large-chain grocery store we used to patronize back in Maryland (Giant Food Stores, if you're ever up that way).

Point of the post is: Walmart Neighborhood Market = Adios, Walmart Supercenter = only as needed (non-grocery category)
    Third person?

16. Default Re: walmart grocery plans for major remodel

Quote Originally Posted by andimthomas View Post
    Third person?
    He is talking about his wife. Its obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    He is talking about his wife. Its obvious.
    Oh. That didn't cross my mind until you pointed it out.

LOL! Yeah, I was referring to my wife..."third person talkers" tend to confuse and annoy me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AAC2005 View Post

Can't imagine the Homeland at 104th and Penn coming out ahead of the new Crest. Frequent shopping at Homeland can be hazardous to your checkbook.

I don't think Homeland will be able to tread water with Crest. The only way that store will stay open as grocery store is if Buy For Less were to pick it up. Buy For Less does a lot of niche marketing to the area surrounding the store. They find out what kind of services and groceries the people in the area want and they specialize and sell it a reasonable price. Their Midwest City store in the old Albertson's on 15th and Post does fairly well considering Crest owns the market in Midwest City. The Northwest Expressway stores stay busy and they are near supercenters and those stores do extremely well. The NW Expressway and Portland store is quick service friendly and they have a large selection of take out and bakery items. I went their all the time when I worked a block from there. I could get in and out of there faster then I could the average drive thru.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Can't imagine the Homeland at 104th and Penn coming out ahead of the new Crest. Frequent shopping at Homeland can be hazardous to your checkbook.
    Homeland gets the rabid couponers which my wife is part of...Not sure if that is great for their bottom line but I have to believe a good portion of their shoppers take advantage of their coupon program

I like the new Homeland fuel station - handy.

Also enjoy the fact that Homeland isn't crowded and I can find stuff and some of the people who work there actually recognize me and everyone has been extremely helpful.

Usually buy my blazing California roll there at the sushi stand.

Sorry for being off topic though.
    Last edited by flintysooner; 08-21-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added Homeland

23. Default Re: walmart grocery plans for major remodel

Well we all know Thunder is the topic police and all. Maybe a teacher in a former life?

Since we're talking about walmart, how about we start a topic about why we only have 2 super targets and a million crappy walmart super centers? That's on topic, right? bwahahaha.

Actually there are three Super Targets. Norman, Edmond and Memorial road.

Thread Information