Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COPTA budget cuts to bus routes, keeps Oklahoma River cruisers

Default Re: COPTA budget cuts to bus routes, keeps Oklahoma River cruisers

When you take into account Dallas' sprawl all the way north to Denton along I-35 and Prosper along US 75..I guess Plano is sort of like the "I-240 point" in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by mburlison View Post
    While D.A.R.T. has its problems, the ridership is heavy... and now extends out to Plano with plans to go further on each of the several lines. It's just a matter of 'who' will run certain lines and 'how' exactly it will be funded, but there is no question a ton of people use it. Any time there is an event at the AA Center or I want to go downtown for dinner, my first thought is to drive to the Parker Rd. station and take the train. "It" (having a mass transit to and through the suburbs) can be done ! .
    For mass transit to take hold in OKC the mind set of the populace has to change. The best way to do this is to start small and provide excellent service. Mass transit in OKC has a limitied budget and trying to spread it across 600 sq miles is doing nothing but making the service crappy. People are not going to abandond their cars to ride a crappy mass transit system.

The city would be much better served to concentrate resources in the core and as public perception and use changes, then expand the system.

Yeah, I used to work in Houston and my co-workers all took the bus to downtown from Katy. Their bus system is awesome! We need to take some notes from them.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Yeah, I used to work in Houston and my co-workers all took the bus to downtown from Katy. Their bus system is awesome! We need to take some notes from them.

Good Luck with that! You have to remember we are talking about COTPA here.

COTPA's route to the 7-11 across the street would be go backwards ten miles make a left, drive another ten miles and make another left then drive back down to the street you wanted to cross. Pass the 7-11 make a few right turns and finally make it to the 7-11 parking lot 3.5 hours later.

Oklahoma City Council avoids controversial cuts in latest budget | NewsOK.com

Good news at least for now

...Among the most emotional moment of this year's budget discussions was at last week's council meeting, when bus riders, including several disabled city residents, pleaded with the council not to cut bus service.

A combination of grant funding and the increased sales tax revenue means most of the proposed cuts will be avoided. ...

Did they lose a boat in the flood monday?

I honestly am not comfortable with us (the City/COPTA) running "cruises" on the River.
    That should be a private enterprise.

May Gene Rodenberry forgive me.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwise View Post
    I honestly am not comfortable with us (the City/COPTA) running "cruises" on the River.
    That should be a private enterprise.

May Gene Rodenberry forgive me.
    I understand your point and don't really disagree but, technically, the city doesn't run the cruises. They subsidize them.

Thread Information