Widgets Magazine

Thread: Need some advice

Default Need some advice

I have a pilot friend from California on an overnight stop in OKC, he hasn't been to OKC before (he's been to the OKC airport but never left the plane). He wants to see a little bit of the city before he leaves back on his flight. He arrives at about 9PM at night, leaves the next day at about 530pm. He's staying at the Sheraton in Downtown. He said he will probably go to Bricktown the night he arrives. We are gonna meet the next day. So we only have about 3 hours. What do you suggest?

2. Default Re: Need some advice

If he's not tired, I'd consider the following nightlife: JJ's Alley and/or Makers and/or Michael Murphy's Piano Lounge and/or Red Pin Bowling. (assuming this is for a Thursday/Friday or Saturday night.
    Next morning, catch breakfast at Cafe Antigua and/or Classen Grill and/or Nic's (don't try for lunch - will take too much time).
    Must see places: Oklahoma City National Memorial, OKC Museum of Art, Bricktown Canal, National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.
    Lunch: Big Truck Tacos or Cattleman's Steakhouse

Default Re: Need some advice

^^^^

yes.

Cattleman's def

Not sure if we have time to have a nice sit down meal, and I don't think either of us wants anything expensive. I am really just looking for some things to show him before I drop him off at the airport. Maybe 3-4 hours to kill before he needs to take off to Denver.

6. Default Re: Need some advice

Obviously, you need to take him to the zoo!

He's not 13. Not to mention, mid-day at the zoo. Talk about hot outside.

If you only have few hours then you probably need to do an OKC drive around. Hit the interstate system and show him the city - Remington Park, Memorial Road, Lake Hefner, NW Expressway, Route 66, OU Campus, Downtown, OCU/23rd St, Heritage Hills, State Capitol Complex, Nichols Hills, Chesapeak Campus, etc. Grab some Sonic and eat it in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    If you only have few hours then you probably need to do an OKC drive around. Hit the interstate system and show him the city - Remington Park, Memorial Road, Lake Hefner, NW Expressway, Route 66, OU Campus, Downtown, OCU/23rd St, Heritage Hills, State Capitol Complex, Nichols Hills, Chesapeak Campus, etc. Grab some Sonic and eat it in the car.
    Kerry, I agree with all of that except NW Expressway. I live and work near there and avoid it at all costs. There is nothing wonderful about NW Expressway to show visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Kerry, I agree with all of that except NW Expressway. I live and work near there and avoid it at all costs. There is nothing wonderful about NW Expressway to show visitors.
    The only reason I brought up NW Expresway is because it is lined with mid-rise office towers. Not a lot of cities have that. None here in Forida do.

11. Default Re: Need some advice

NW Expressway????? Huh??????
    Kerry, you're usually on the money, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. There is NOTHING special about NW Expressway other than it's an example of suburban sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm going to agree with all of that except Memorial Rd. and NW Expressway. His friend is from Cali and they have midrises everywhere, nothing impressive compared to out there. Also show him some finer food than Sonic, they have those too in Cali now. Go to Big Truck, Cafe Antigua, Irmas, McNellies, Iguana or somewhere like that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'm going to agree with all of that except Memorial Rd. and NW Expressway. His friend is from Cali and they have midrises everywhere, nothing impressive compared to out there. Also show him some finer food than Sonic, they have those too in Cali now. Go to Big Truck, Cafe Antigua, Irmas, McNellies, Iguana or somewhere like that instead.
    OK OK - drop the NW Expressway. BTW I am from California also and outside of LA and a few places in the Bay Area they don't have multiple areas of high/mid rise buildings. My home town has 100,000 and the tallest building is 8 stories and the nearest large city (Sacramento) is 90 miles away, and Sacramento doesn’t have multiple areas of mid-rise towers either.

I mentioned Sonic because it is an OKC based company. What is better than cruising Route 66 in OKC with a Cherry Limeade Sonic Route 66 drink in your couple holder? Come to think of it - drive him out to Pops and build a 6-pack. Drink it quick though, you can't take them on the plane.

I'm sure he can find a way to bring it on the plane, he's flying the thing, I'm sure he can get the drinks on board. Pops is out in the country though isn't it? NE side of town?

He's from Nor-cal, lives in Sacramento, based out of Oakland, by the way. Based on what has been said in here, I am thinking something along the lines of: downtown, Bricktown, Murrah memorial, State Capital, Chesapeake, Lake Hefner, might skim over to Wiley Post for a few minutes, then work south from there.

Kerry, when is the last time you've been to Cali? So-Cal is full of them from San Diego to north Hollywood. Sacramento has their fair share, but is just a weird city in general but Oakland definitely does. Heck parts of Tahoe and Truckee,CA (if you're talking rural NorCal) are more urban than most of our suburbs. Take him to eat at Annie Okies on the runway at Wiley Post if you're going to go over that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Pops is out in the country though isn't it? NE side of town?
    Pops is 4-5 miles from I-35 & 2nd Street.

Not far at all...

Oh, that's not bad. Maybe we'll hit that place up then. (No, not robbing it)

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Oh, that's not bad. Maybe we'll hit that place up then. (No, not robbing it)
    Haha

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Pops is 4-5 miles from I-35 & 2nd Street.

Not far at all...
    On old 66, just this side (west) of the Round Barn...

20. Default Re: Need some advice

Let us know how it went.

Change of plans. I had something come up, so he'll be in here mid-week and I'll be in Southeastern OK at that point in time. I'll ask him what he thought of the city afterwards though.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Kerry, when is the last time you've been to Cali? So-Cal is full of them from San Diego to north Hollywood. Sacramento has their fair share, but is just a weird city in general but Oakland definitely does. Heck parts of Tahoe and Truckee,CA (if you're talking rural NorCal) are more urban than most of our suburbs. Take him to eat at Annie Okies on the runway at Wiley Post if you're going to go over that way.
    I said other than LA and the Bay Area.

He was impressed, he told me "downtown was very nice". He ate in bricktown, walked around, and went to the Murrah Memorial. He also thought the Sheraton was a very nice hotel.

I'll talk to him a bit more when he lands in Oakland.

Thread Information