Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big 12 conference talks this week

Default Big 12 conference talks this week

I thought we could start a seperate discussion solely on this weeks negotiations about the state of the Big 12 and the upcoming season. I believe they started meeting yesterday.

Default Re: Big 12 conference talks this week

Looks like this is the end of the line for the Big XII. The only thing I don't like about the PAC-10 plan is UCLA should go to the PAC-10 South and Colorado to the PAC-10 North. This would divide up the LA market for both divisions.

Report: Pac-10 to invite six Big 12 schools including OU, OSU | NewsOK.com

The move would leave out Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska and Missouri — of which several schools have been reported as being interested in moving to the Big Ten.

According to the report, the six teams from the Big 12 would be in an eight-team division with Arizona and Arizona State. The other eight-team division would consist of USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State.

Combining the Big 12 South division powers with the Pac-10 would likely make the new league able to develop its own television network that would rival the current Big Ten Network. It would also be able to deliver seven of the country's top 20 TV markets (Los Angeles, Dallas, San Francisco, Houston, Phoenix, Seattle and Sacramento).

Read more: Report: Pac-10 to invite six Big 12 schools including OU, OSU | NewsOK.com

I hate to see the Big 12 die, but if we could be with the PAC 10, that would be awesome!

4. Default Re: Big 12 conference talks this week

Bye bye to conference tournaments in OKC...
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

5. Default Re: Big 12 conference talks this week

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Bye bye to conference tournaments in OKC...
    this really isnt funny but LOL

a combination of big 12 and pac 10 officials would be a disaster

I like it a lot. oSu & Tx Tech should send flowers and thank-you notes to OU & Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    I hate to see the Big 12 die, but if we could be with the PAC 10, that would be awesome!
    I'd rather see an alliance with the SEC. What fantastic games!

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    I'd rather see an alliance with the SEC. What fantastic games!

I'm sorry, disasterous games with USC and the officiating debacle at Oregon State left a very bad taste in my mouth for the PAC 10.

10. Default Re: Big 12 conference talks this week

I don't like this at all. Schools broken up everywhere is just way too weird. I like the way things are right now. To me, the conference names represent the location of schools within a region.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    ... I like the way things are right now. To me, the conference names represent the location of schools within a region.
    Yeah, nothing screams Plains State or Heartland quite like shouting out Big 12!

Sorry Thunder. Some conference names are regional based, but nah, ours ain't one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I don't like this at all. Schools broken up everywhere is just way too weird. I like the way things are right now. To me, the conference names represent the location of schools within a region.
    And I think Pluto is still a planet. I read the pros and cons for both ou and osu in the paper yesterday. Overall, it would do more for both teams I think... We'll see what happens...

13. Default Re: Big 12 conference talks this week

Well one nice thing about the Big XII was that you could drive from OKC to pretty much every school for an event, without it taking forever. If we joing the PAC 10, you'll see coastal games, so we go from the middle to the edge of the conference. It's true that we won't get conference championships anymore too....if we're competing with Portland, LA, etc...why would they go to the smaller OKC market? It's unfortunate that it's going to end like this.....but this could all be a big stink just to get better contracts out of the deal too you know. We could come back in a month and everything could be back to business as usual....who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Yeah, nothing screams Plains State or Heartland quite like shouting out Big 12!

Sorry Thunder. Some conference names are regional based, but nah, ours ain't one of those.
    In fairness to Thunder, he didn't state ours was a regional name, just made a general comment. i.e. Pac 10, Southeastern, Mountain West etc.

We have to be able to compete with the west coast now. Perhaps this new paradigm will encourage us to think about sustainability a lot more.

anyone speculated when we'd actually start playing these games, would it be a few years out or possibly this season? i know OU has a bunch of non-conference games scheduled many years out with the likes of tennesse, tulsa, notre dame, etc. or would it be based on the tv contracts and when they expire. i havent heard ...

oh here's a link that shows games scheduled out to 2019, but those are non-conference.

OUInsider.com - 2010 Oklahoma Football Schedule

OMG! Notre Dame, Ohio State, LSU! (Faint)

Boomer!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    We have to be able to compete with the west coast now. Perhaps this new paradigm will encourage us to think about sustainability a lot more.
    This is a good point. I have thought about this as another positive too. Sports are huge in Oklahoma and if being part of the Pac 10 exposes OU and OSU sports fans to other regions besides Texas and Kansas, it could be good.

Quote Originally Posted by earlywinegareth View Post
    I like it a lot. oSu & Tx Tech should send flowers and thank-you notes to OU & Texas.
    Yes, ain't it amazing that thd Pac 10 would want oSu and Stillwater.

According to various media outlets Nebraska will be announcing they are leaving the Big 12 any day now. I really don't have a problem with the Big 12 South joining the Pac-10 but I would rather see Colorado get an invite instead of Baylor. The Big 12 North is not as strong as the South and playing a competitive west division in the possible Pac 16 superconference will be more exciting. Plus it means you can travel to CA for games.

I don't think Baylor stands a chance of going instead of Colorado. The politics aren't there this time like last time.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I don't think Baylor stands a chance of going instead of Colorado. The politics aren't there this time like last time.
    I hope not. Pro-Baylor legislators and lobbyists are working on slipping Baylor in the inclusion. Can't wait to see what happens.

local tv sports news said 2012 would be the year the changes take place. something about tv contracts expiring...

seems like this would set up three conferences who would dominate the national championship game. Pac-16, Big (x), and sec. and maybe the acc if they get back to elite levels.

I still think the playoff format with the existing conferences would be better than 3 or 4 superconferences rotating... We'll see, maybe nothing will happen!

24. Default Re: Big 12 conference talks this week

Had a talk on the subject w/ an OU grad (who lives in Norman). I definitely see some resistance to change, and he did not think OKC losing championships should have any sway. "They should get their own NCAA team then."

It sure looks like it's happening though. Hopefully Baylor is left out in the cold. They do not deserve to be in our conference.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

CU moving to Pac-10

CU moving to Pac-10

Colorado is headed to the Pac-10 Conference, no matter what happens with the rest of the Big 12, a source close to the situation said Thursday morning. The Pac-10 will hold a news conference later this morning to announce the invitation.

The new league will have at least 12 teams, and likely 16. It's not clear who the 12th team will be yet.

Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are also still on the Pac-10's wish list, and, with the impending breakup of the Big 12 conference, they could all be moving West.

The expanded conference would likely debut in time for the 2012 football season.

Colorado officials have worked this past week to make sure they were included in the Pac-10 expansion plans if the Big 12 broke up. Nebraska is expected to join the Big Ten as early as Friday.

But the source said CU decided it would seek, and accept an invitation from the Pac-10, no matter what happened with the rest of the conference.

A source close to the Nebraska athletic department told The Denver Post on Wednesday that the Cornhuskers are moving on. Multiple media outlets around the Big 12 also reported sources close to the Huskers saying they're bolting, with a move expected to be officially announced Friday when Nebraska regents meet.

Thread Information