Widgets Magazine
Page 106 of 113 FirstFirst ... 656101102103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2821

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Wheeler District

I wish I knew if the area has a genuine 'community' vibe going on. I wonder if neighbors congregate on their front porches, etc. Is it more like Mayberry or Stepford Wives type of vibe?

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I wish I knew if the area has a genuine 'community' vibe going on. I wonder if neighbors congregate on their front porches, etc. Is it more like Mayberry or Stepford Wives type of vibe?
    I keep hearing about how they plan on integrating with the neighborhood to the west like how real cities around the world are designed but it’s looking more and more like there won’t be a connected street grid.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    The people I know that live there absolutely love it and interacting with neighbors is always listed very high on the list.

The pool, park, playground, school, restaurant and brewery are all congregating points.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The people I know that live there absolutely love it and interacting with neighbors is always listed very high on the list.

The pool, park, playground, school, restaurant and brewery are all congregating points.
    If it's that genuine, that's enough appeal for many. They continue to enjoy success I assume.

5. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I keep hearing about how they plan on integrating with the neighborhood to the west like how real cities around the world are designed but it’s looking more and more like there won’t be a connected street grid.
    I don't know what basis you have to say this. The plan has always been to connect and it's in process. They are finishing the current phase, which completes with the homes at the far south end of the development (in Pete's pics you can see the dirt moving on that), then they move north where the streets are being built that connect the neighborhood to the west all the way to Western.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I don't know what basis you have to say this. The plan has always been to connect and it's in process. They are finishing the current phase, which completes with the homes at the far south end of the development (in Pete's pics you can see the dirt moving on that), then they move north where the streets are being built that connect the neighborhood to the west all the way to Western.
    I saw that on the basis of the aerial photographs and visiting the place in person but maybe I’m missing it.

7. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    By the way, I keep seeing comments by non-contributing zeroes on social media about how this neighborhood is a "compound" because it's not integrated with the neighborhood to the west, which typically is accompanied by some trite reference to Stepford Wives. The fact is the neighborhood regularly hosts events for which the surrounding neighborhoods are invited (and attend) and residents from those neighborhoods are constantly at the playground and park with their children, eating at the restaurant, drinking at the brewery, attending the weekly bike races, and they attend the same school as the kids in the neighborhood. Even without the street connection built out, there is already social integration. I imagine it will increase further as more businesses and more residents move into the neighborhood and, of course, the street connection and sidewalks are built.

8. Default Re: Wheeler District

Great design by the planners to include multiple "Third Spaces". Something that both OK's major cities are majorly lacking in outside of downtown/midtown.

Also, I've seen a lot of negative comments on social media about how the buildings look. I actually really like the look.. but I also think it will look better in 10-15 years. Good buildings/neighborhoods have to age and mature, like a good wine.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBenjals! View Post
    Also, I've seen a lot of negative comments on social media about how the buildings look. I actually really like the look.. but I also think it will look better in 10-15 years. Good buildings/neighborhoods have to age and mature, like a good wine.
    Same. It makes me wonder what those people would prefer in its place? What other type of design is "good" or "better" than this?

Next time, I'll post some ground-level photos that are far prettier than drone shots.

It's a really great place at street level.

The commenters on social media hating on Wheeler and the way the homes look, are probably posting from a boring cookies cutter suburbia home. The homes in Wheeler are unique and built with high quality material that take energy efficiency seriously.

Here is the home all the Wheeler haters are posting from:

"But where are you supposed to park??"

As I've said before, it's great to have Wheeler as an option.

It's not for me at this stage of my life, but I'm glad it's there as a future option and for all those that want to live there.

I also understand why people want to live on big lots in Edmond. As we grow as a city, it's good to have a variety of options. Wasn't that long ago that the suburban tract home was the only choice.

Blog Entries

I'll say the Wheeler District has really intrigued us. I agree with Pete that it might not be for everyone but it's a pretty awesome neighborhood for families, and also could be for some empty nester folks who prefer no yard work - the downside on that is those people also usually don't want to walk stairs and many of the homes are two-three story. To me it is really impressive what they have done.

I really like the Wheeler District. I am seriously considering it for our next move if we stay in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    These are all from their PUD; there were more, but this gives you a good idea:

It's been a while so I was trying to remember what other types of dwellings are coming and where they will be located. As the development moves north, will there be more rowhouses/townhouses or apartments as opposed to the sideyard houses that are most of the development now? I know there are a few live/work rowhouses near the brewery, but just wondering if more is coming. I'm sure there are plans somewhere in this thread, but wasn't sure if the plans have changed.

17. Default Re: Wheeler District

Have they built any carriage houses or ADUs? Those are best part of any proper, new urbanist development, imo.

This is cool to see regarding OKC's beer game.
    https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma...2-beer-awards/

Does the Wheeler HOA allow Airbnb hosts?

20. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Does the Wheeler HOA allow Airbnb hosts?
    Yes. There are several in the neighborhood.

There are quite a few Airbnb hosts. If you look closely at the garages, you can see the garage apartments on many of them built specifically for this purpose. My husband and I recently sold our cottage and moved into a larger home. We lived in one of those garage apartments for 3 months waiting for our house to be finished. There also numerous cottages that are purchased exclusively for Airbnb purposes. One of our neighbors told us that they were able to house 27 of their family members in Wheeler at one time when they came to town for a wedding this summer. We still have mostly owner occupied houses in the neighborhood with a strong sense of community however.

The commenters on social media hating on Wheeler and the way the homes look, are probably posting from a boring cookies cutter suburbia home. The homes in Wheeler are unique and built with high quality material that take energy efficiency seriously.

Here is the home all the Wheeler haters are posting from:

No need to go here. You can be a fan of Wheeler without having to tear others down. I would guess there are many on okctalk that post from a house not too dissimilar from that pic. There's a lot of people that would love to live in Wheeler but can't afford it so they live in houses like what you posted. No reason to drag them.

I am unfamiliar with the posts on social media deriding Wheeler and I don't really care to see them. Just because they're haters doesn't mean you have to be one too. Don't stoop to their level. Be better.

The vast majority of people in OKC have a suburban home like that. The point is social media people are hating on Wheeler for the appearance of the homes and also the current "segregation" of the neighborhood from the surrounding area. Wheeler is actually going to purposely connect to the surrounding neighborhood as was always the intention - it just hasn't had the construction on that side of the area yet. How many suburban neighborhoods purposely try to connect to other ones?

The irony is the pink home above is an actual result of segregation, as is all of suburbia. Something something throwing rocks from a glass house.

The vast majority of people in OKC have a suburban home like that. The point is social media people are hating on Wheeler for the appearance of the homes and also the current "segregation" of the neighborhood from the surrounding area. Wheeler is actually going to purposely connect to the surrounding neighborhood as was always the intention - it just hasn't has the construction on that side of the area yet. How many suburban neighborhoods purposely try to connect to other ones?

The irony is the pink home above is an actual result of segregation, as is all of suburbia. Something something throwing rocks from a glass house.
    You're telling me things I already know.

I'm just saying to take the high road. Not everyone is going to have the same taste. How boring would the world be if we all liked the same exact things?

Clarity Coffee now open every day from 7 AM to 2 PM.

Photo from https://www.instagram.com/claritycoffee/:

Thread Information