Widgets Magazine
Page 96 of 113 FirstFirst ... 46919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 2821

Thread: Wheeler District

1. Default Re: Wheeler District

We swung by after lunch at San Pedros Saturday for the first time in awhile, and we were blown away by how far along they are (pictures don't really do it justice). We stopped at the Big Friendly for a drink, and you can already feel that this will be such a unique destination. Excited to see this continue to grow.

Default Re: Wheeler District

Thanks for the pictures, Pete. I worked outside at Terminal Commons a month ago and loved the area. It’s really a great spot to hang out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The live/work spaces are pretty much fully occupied with several types of businesses. In the back, they have a carport with a deck above for the living units.

This project is really starting to come together.

They sure didn't let the pandemic slow them down, by all appearances.

I can't help but wonder if they have already build more living space on a per family and per sq feet basis than has ever been built at The Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    They sure didn't let the pandemic slow them down, by all appearances.

I can't help but wonder if they have already build more living space on a per family and per sq feet basis than has ever been built at The Hill.
    Burn.

Not too many people in these photos for such a beautiful day.

Most of the photos are of a construction site. Where are supposed to be? playing in the dirt?

I’m assuming these photos were also taken in the middle of a weekday, in an area that is primarily residential. Not exactly a prime time for things to be bustling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Most of the photos are of a construction site. Where are supposed to be? playing in the dirt?
    Um, no. The Terminal Commons and Big Friendly are complete and are the only spots in the district with commercial offerings. I would expect more activity at those businesses even during the week. The Terminal Commons advertises weekday breakfast and lunch offerings on Instagram all the time. With many folks still working remotely, I would also expect a bit more foot traffic during the day. Wheeler will be under construction for awhile and businesses will not survive there if it is just a residential enclave or weekend-only destination.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Um, no. The Terminal Commons and Big Friendly are complete and are the only spots in the district with commercial offerings. I would expect more activity at those businesses even during the week. The Terminal Commons advertises weekday breakfast and lunch offerings on Instagram all the time. With many folks still working remotely, I would also expect a bit more foot traffic during the day. Wheeler will be under construction for awhile and businesses will not survive there if it is just a residential enclave or weekend-only destination.
    Have you ever been to Fassler Hall during a weekday? It's dead and they don't seem to be struggling.

Breakfast isn't going strong from 7AM to 10AM followed immediately by a 80% capacity lunch from 10AM to 6PM. Eating establishments that are open all day have several multi-hour dead periods where it's not unreasonable to get less than 5 patrons come through in an hour.

Reading into a picture to determine the viability of a business is silly.

Photos were taken 11 AM last Thursday.

Kids are in school, people are at work.

Photos were taken 11 AM last Thursday.

Kids are in school, people are at work.
    This does make me think - it would be cool if the photos had a small time-stamp on them somewhere. Not sure if your equipment makes that easy - but if it's a simple settings adjustment, I'd make a motion to turn that on!

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    This does make me think - it would be cool if the photos had a small time-stamp on them somewhere. Not sure if your equipment makes that easy - but if it's a simple settings adjustment, I'd make a motion to turn that on!
    On Windows: you can download the photos to your desktop, and use windows explorer.

1) Right click the photo
    2) select “Properties”
    3) select the “Details” tab

Not sure about the process in MacOS. Guess it is easy, though.

A photo is just a "snapshot" of a moment in time, but I would still expect more and it is an indicator of how the businesses are being patronized. Kind of like almost every time I see a streetcar at varying hours of the day it is empty or nearly empty. I live in Guthrie and the downtown's busiest time of the week is probably 11:00 AM on a Thursday...people going to the bank, lunch, post office, stores, office appointments, coffee shops. Hopefully Wheeler will become a true mixed use functioning neighborhood and not a residential enclave or weekend entertainment district.

^ I get your point, but there are what 80-90 houses finished, how many of those are moved-in? Statistically no one lives here yet compared to the full build out.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    ^ I get your point, but there are what 80-90 houses finished, how many of those are moved-in? Statistically no one lives here yet compared to the full build out.
    Fair enough. They haven't reached critical mass.

Blog Entries

I had recently gone back and looked at the drawings in post #1 in this thread and was reminded that all the green grass you see in this photo south of the river is essentially going to be built upon. I had completely forgotten that they had the land east of Western also. That makes it all more impressive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheeler1.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	16865
    In a related note, I recently spoke with someone that was working on the roundabout they're trying to get put in on Western -- which I had also forgotten about -- that is also referenced in the drawings in post #1.

After nearly 7 months of waiting, my husband and I closed on our new cottage in the Wheeler District last Friday. I have already met more of my neighbors here than I have met in all of my previous neighborhoods combined. We feel very fortunate to have bought in when we did and look forward to all of the development to come.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    After nearly 7 months of waiting, my husband and I closed on our new cottage in the Wheeler District last Friday. I have already met more of my neighbors here than I have met in all of my previous neighborhoods combined. We feel very fortunate to have bought in when we did and look forward to all of the development to come.
    Wow, congrats!

Please keep us posted on your new life in Wheeler.

Congratulations!!!

Thanks Pete. I love my floor plan and all of the fixtures. They are planning 7 more cottages facing ours across Pedalers Lane which should make for a nice community within the community. We are calling ourselves the cottage people.

22. Default Re: Wheeler District

Congrats, CCOKC! I love those cottages. I walk by them almost every day. When the seven across from you get built, that’s going to be a really nice addition to Pedaler’s Lane.

Thanks king183. After the rain last night we have the Wheeler Lake outside of our cottage.

Blog Entries

Toured parts of of Wheeler with ULI tonight. Couple of the business buildings on Spoke Street. Two houses, and the large commercial building with the round roof. Just posting a few pics of the commercial building as I'm pretty sure that'll be the only thing new to post here. Might have been known/posted already, but we learned that the entire building has been bought by Humphrey Capital, but that they are taking only the top floor, while the other floors will be leased to other business. The pictures here are either of or from the top floor.

External view

Name:	20210616_183104-annotated.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	16906

When you first walk in

Name:	20210616_183338.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	16904

Miscellaneous interior 3rd floor shots (not sure why some of these rotated)

Name:	20210616_183428.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	16907

Name:	20210616_183508.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	16908

Name:	20210616_183519.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	16909

3rd floor, looking west, you can see the condo prep site

Name:	20210616_183738.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	16910

3rd floor, looking south

Name:	20210616_183752.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	16911

3rd floor, looking east (you can see the Robinson grain silo)

Name:	20210616_183437.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	16912

3rd floor, looking north, view of downtown and the wheel

Name:	20210616_183912.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	16905

Another view north, of "downtown Wheeler" as I heard it called

Name:	20210616_183819-annotated.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	16913

Notes I took:
    -75 homes built/sold, 40 homes under construction
    -Site is ~150 acres, 96 west of Western, the rest east
    -Phase One was ~15 acres
    -They're up to 9 ADUs in the district with more coming as more people want them (if you can't afford it up front contractor will stub out for it and you can build it out later)
    -Two four-plexes are about to get built on the far north end of Spoke Street
    -The park and pool (eastern part of the site) will be built during phase two, pool is members only, park is open to public
    -HOA fees are $50-250 depending on property size
    -AirBnBs are allowed with no restrictions if it's your primary home, if it's not your primary home there is a 90-day limit (I think that meant consecutive days), this was modeled on how San Francisco is doing it, there are 4 homes being used in this way, and they are pretty much always occupied.

Not sure how to delete the below attachment that has my thumb in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210616_183338.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	16903  

^

Thanks shawn!

That development is really coming together and seems to be rapidly picking up pace.

Thread Information