Widgets Magazine
Page 92 of 113 FirstFirst ... 428788899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2821

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Wheeler District

One of the reasons it looks so barren is that there is no room for trees on any of the lots.

All the trees are along the streets and in common areas.

That's a big difference when compared to a typical suburban neighborhood.

Blog Entries

It looks like the fake town from the Truman Show.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    This is true for every new housing addition. Most suburban developers plant two Bradford pears next to the entrance sign of the new addition and call it good and yet i've never heard anyone worry about a new housing addition in Deer Creek "baking" for 3 months a year. This is probably the only new addition built from scratch that removed zero mature trees from the existing property (It was a runway.)

Just odd that this gets called out for not having enough trees to impact quality of life:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4475...!7i8704!8i4352

But this is the norm across the metro.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6051...7i13312!8i6656

No new development has mature trees. Why call out the only development who has actually made an effort to plant them?
    Nobody expects/cares about pedestrian activity in new subdivisions around OKC, so mature trees or no trees, it really makes no difference.

Wheeler is not your average sub-division and shouldn't be reviewed in the same manner. Pedestrian activity should be high and therefore trees far more beneficial. The general lack of a yard also means that public spaces are substantially more important/utilized.

I never thought of it myself, but it was a great point to be brought to the table. I'd think residents more than anyone would want the developers to try and bring in some trees that have been aged a decade already so that they can enjoy the benefits of nice mature trees within a much shorter timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    It looks like the fake town from the Truman Show.
    If I remember right, it was actually referenced by the developers, right? Or did i make that up?

Seaside, Florida is a real town, not fake: https://www.fodors.com/world/north-a...fe-truman-show

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    If I remember right, it was actually referenced by the developers, right? Or did i make that up?

Seaside, Florida is a real town, not fake: https://www.fodors.com/world/north-a...fe-truman-show
    The Truman Show was filmed at Seaside. DPZ planning firm designed Seaside and Carlton Landing. Dover Kohl designed Wheeler, but obviously very similar New Urbanist principles. Charming, but almost too perfect for some to the point of being creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    https://www.wheelerdistrict.com/home/928-sw-17th-200-2/

Attachment 16518

Just saw Wheeler posted four condos going for $350~373 per sqft.
    Just curious why the condos are more expensive per square foot than single family?

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Just curious why the condos are more expensive per square foot than single family?
    Construction costs? Because they think they can? Both?

Blog Entries

Of course every building is different, but if built in a quality way, construction costs can be a fair amount higher as you add floors. Things like soundproofing, hvac systems, the way plumbing and sewer have to be done, etc. It's more complicated than throwing up a tract house.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Of course every building is different, but if built in a quality way, construction costs can be a fair amount higher as you add floors. Things like soundproofing, hvac systems, the way plumbing and sewer have to be done, etc. It's more complicated than throwing up a tract house.
    plus elevator, legal fees to write a condo, etc

If I remember correctly the condos will have an elevator and the entire floorplan for each unit is on one floor.

I ask because in general condos are less expensive to own than single family as they share wall materials, smaller footprint, and are more risky investments. The price seems steep to me.

Blog Entries

I ask because in general condos are less expensive to own than single family as they share wall materials, smaller footprint, and are more risky investments. The price seems steep to me.
    They may share a wall, but if built right those shared walls are different in that they need to be fire stopped and sound proofed.

The thing I like about Wheeler the most is that it is happening. It is the best downtown development happening right now. What is it's competition? Strawberry Fields? Core to Shore? Hubcap Alley? Cotton seed mill? Boathouse District?

^

700 West, Boulevard Place, 4th & EK Gaylord, Convention Center, Omni Hotel, Villa Teresa, BancFirst Tower, Marriott Renaissance, The Boulevard, First National Center, Chrysler Plymouth Building and a bunch more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

700 West, Boulevard Place, 4th & EK Gaylord, Convention Center, Omni Hotel, Villa Teresa, BancFirst Tower, Marriott Renaissance, The Boulevard, First National Center, Chrysler Plymouth Building and a bunch more.
    You are correct as usual. I was thinking more along the lines of new for sale units. Of those listed I believe Villa Teresa has
    Townhomes. There are those townhomes in Sosa. But of those three spots Wheeler wins out on quantity of for sale units, and competes in quality.

Are there other for sale properties in construction right now?

The Bower just finished.

The Bower just finished.
    There’s a development in SOSA that has its second phase well underway nearing completion.

The Bower just finished.
    IIRC, the Bower has sold one unit... I've heard they're nice units though.

I would love to buy one of these houses in Wheeler. I personally love them. But, with my job going bye bye and now that we are empty nesters it's downsize time for us, price AND size. lol. So, no Wheeler District for me, but I think they are awesome. I've spent the last 8 years living in a heavily tree-lined hood and given the leaves situation in the fall, I am all about the no trees look. Ha!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F0B190EC-0BE5-4139-ADD9-C3B40485862A.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	16534
    Beginnings of foundation work of the new bi-lingual elementary school in the Wheeler District.

21. Default Re: Wheeler District

Last month after some of the backlash on Twitter, Wheeler tweeted this:

Name:	WDresponse.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	16535

The next bit of info they release is this rendering on their @wheelehome Instagram account.

Name:	WDexpensive.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	16536

wheelerhomeokc
    Coming soon to Wheeler!

For those looking to elevate your style of living to a high-end, one-story, elevator-accessed condo experience with a private garage, expansive veranda and unmatched views, we have the perfect option for you - our brand new Luxury Flats! Enjoy life in the heart of the city from one of four luxury condos surrounded by all the perks of a new urbanist neighborhood. Designed by London-based architecture firm Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, these custom designed penthouse and second story flats offer high-end finish outs and thoughtful maximized layouts.

The light and bright open plans feature a contemporary color palette, soaring ceilings, expansive windows with unobstructed views, natural hardwood floors, geothermal heating and cooling, and luxury finishes. Highlighted spaces include an oversized living area, chef’s kitchen with quartz island, custom cabinets, upgraded appliances, and a large covered veranda with glass openings. Featured amenities include elevator access, private 2-car garages, fenced green space, and close proximity to Wheeler District’s pool, park, and retail/restaurant spaces.

Click the link in bio or email home@wheelerdsitrict.com for more information!
    I don't think this helps in their attempts to comfort most of the concerns that people had. Seems like an odd time to announce it, especially considering they just talked about releasing more info about who, what, and why they are.

I think there is a market for affordable housing in Wheeler. I bet you could build an apartment style building with an upgraded exterior and they would sell. Maybe even do a presale and not build it until 75% plus of the flats are reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Last month after some of the backlash on Twitter, Wheeler tweeted this:

Name:	WDresponse.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	16535

The next bit of info they release is this rendering on their @wheelehome Instagram account.

Name:	WDexpensive.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	16536

I don't think this helps in their attempts to comfort most of the concerns that people had. Seems like an odd time to announce it, especially considering they just talked about releasing more info about who, what, and why they are.
    What was the backlash about?

Also see a bunch of photos of The Big Friendly brewery and taproom.

2nd to last photo is the school:

Sorry if this has been mentioned here before but will they integrate with the neighborhood directly to the west by tying into the street grid or will this development be cut off? I hope it’s the former.

Thread Information