Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 113 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459109 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

It's a little closer to happening.

Former mayor to develop new area downtown | KFOR.com ? Oklahoma City News & Weather from KFOR Television, Oklahoma's News Channel 4

Kirk might be offended by this comment though.

Former Mayor Kirk Humphreys purchased the 86 acres, about a mile from downtown, six years ago with her partners.

Man, KFOR really worked themselves over on that article...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Man, KFOR really worked themselves over on that article...
    A little less detail would be good.... It was hard to keep track of all the information as I was reading it.

what the deuce was that?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    A little less detail would be good.... It was hard to keep track of all the information as I was reading it.
    LIKE (since this thread predates the "like" option)

HangryHippo Guest

Even though that KFOR article was incredible, I'm wondering if there's actually something going on here or if they're just cleaning things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    That article literally had MULTIPLE sentences! It kinda wore me out working through it...

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Even though that KFOR article was incredible, I'm wondering if there's actually something going on here or if they're just cleaning things up a bit.
    Well, they've deduced that Kirk is really a woman so maybe they're just cleaning things up a bit...

9. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

There is a likelyhood something will happen here sooner rather than later. But probably not what you are expecting...

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    There is a likelyhood something will happen here sooner rather than later. But probably not what you are expecting...
    Tell us more??

Spanish inquisition.

Like, as in..it's not going to look like the picture at the top of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Like, as in..it's not going to look like the picture at the top of this thread?
    I think a rule of thumb is that if you see some great looking renderings of a project and then years pass by with nothing happening, that you can expect not to see what was originally proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I think a rule of thumb is that if you see some great looking renderings of a project and then years pass by with nothing happening, that you can expect not to see what was originally proposed.
    <sarcasm> sorry you didn't read it...

15. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Anything new on this?

16. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Via live business chat on NewsOK from Steve Lackmeyer:

11:01
    Steve Lackmeyer: They are toying with some development concepts. The project is active. But no plans have been decided on yet.

11:15
    Comment From Guest
    So has the Santa Monica Pier Ferris Wheel that the Humphreys bought just been sitting in storage this whole time?

11:15
    Steve Lackmeyer: Yes. Wouldn't it be great if it could be used as part of the new Core to Shore park?

HangryHippo Guest

I really wish they'd figure out what they want to do with the Waterfront and get it done. The original idea was awesome. Why can't they just get that going again?

Yes, and with the momentum going in this city coupled with the new I-40 now open, this area is very attractive, especially by the time something could open at the earliest, say 2015.

Hargreaves still lists this as one of their waterfront projects:

Hargreaves Associates - Waterfront Park OKC

I don't know if that signifies anything in terms of the future viabilty. Perhaps not -- maybe they leave project pages up until it's certain the project is dead.

20. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

The people in those renderings crack me up. Guy fascinated with a shore bird (egret) and little league soccer going on right next to people relaxing on the grass. Way too much going on there. Guess I am easily entertained. I really hope this is still as bold as the renderings show and only delayed a few years. This like many other future projects all rely on each other to be successful. One finished ahead too early (Skydance Bridge) and it will seem silly and out of place.

Yes, I hope it comes to fruition. The riverfront area has so much potential in the coming decades. I would love to see that ferris wheel by the river.

22. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

23. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

The former Zoo Ampetheatre operators are saying that they are building a new ampetheatre in this area and I don't know where else they would put it other than the air park site. This is not the same as the city's outdoor floating stage that is also being built. This group tried to but the airpark when it went up for sale the first time so I know they reallly want thi spot.

I noticed today when driving on Western by this location that numerous dump trucks were pulling in and dropping loads of dirt. It may not signify anything important but something is happening anyway.

25. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Concert venue is set to open along Oklahoma River | News OK

Thread Information