Page 87 of 113 FirstFirst ... 378283848586878889909192 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2819

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Wheeler District

Press release:

Western Gateway Elementary School Breaks Ground
    Design incorporates natural light, colorful geometric patterns
    and dedicated outdoor learning spaces

Western Gateway Elementary School is set to open August 2021.

OKLAHOMA CITY (July 13, 2020) — Construction is officially underway at the site of Western Gateway Elementary School, just south of the Oklahoma River.

The 36,500-square-foot elementary school, located at Southwest 15th Street and South Douglas Avenue, is set to open August 2021. The school will serve south Oklahoma City students in the College Hill, Higgins Heights, Jones Grove, Wheeler District and Will Rogers Courts neighborhoods.

Western Gateway will offer a Spanish language dominant and non-Spanish language dominant dual-immersion program. This program will give students the opportunity to read and write in their native language while gaining bilingual capabilities in the secondary language. The school will accept 380 pre-K through fourth grade students.

The building, designed by architectural firm Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, is arranged around a 6,700-square-foot internal courtyard which creates outdoor learning spaces to inspire creativity and innovation.

“Our goal has been to create a simple, flexible and timeless building full of natural light,” said Wade Scaramucci, associate director for Allford Hall Monaghan Morris. “The school was designed to enhance and embrace the early educational curriculum, providing students with varied spaces for both learning and play.”

Additional design aspects include:
    • A cafeteria with internal plantings, acting as an extension of the external courtyard
    • Colorful geometric patterns running through the building to link key spaces
    • Adaptable integrated controls and technology to save energy
    • A reinforced storm shelter large enough for all school students and faculty

Heather Zacarias, newly appointed Western Gateway head of school, said the development is an exciting step in transforming the surrounding community.

“It’s thrilling to be able to come in at the beginning stages of this project and know we’ll have a beautiful space for children to grow, thrive and learn how to make a difference in the world,” she said.

Zacarias says the building's design embodies the collaborative culture the school strives to promote.

“This building is designed to foster creativity, ingenuity and teamwork in our students,” she said. “We know the community is excited to have an innovative, forward-thinking school dedicated to providing their children with the best education possible.”

About Western Gateway Elementary School
    Opening in August 2021, Western Gateway Elementary School strives to cultivate academic
    excellence and cross-cultural competency by developing curious learners, nurturing creativity, and celebrating diversity. Offering a rigorous curriculum and cultural learning experiences, we empower students to actively succeed in a global community.

Looks pretty neat. Let's not forget the school board had to beg them to include more of the surrounding low-income students.

“Ashley Terry, vice president of development at Wheeler and head of the charter school application committee for Western Gateway, said the two neighborhoods will ultimately be connected at SW 15, SW 17, and SW 18 with infrastructure to be funded through the TIF district.

The school represents the first significant investment in the Jones Grove neighborhood in decades. Just a few years ago, several of the neighborhood’s streets had never been paved or were in such disrepair they were reduced to gravel.“

There’s an answer to many people’s ‘concern’.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    There’s an answer to many people’s ‘concern’.
    To what 'concern' are you referring?

Previously and recently there are posts that bring up the lack of thru-streets connecting east/west of McKinley and Douglas.

Looking at that aerial photo, is there any chance of flooding risk with the Oklahoma River to the north and Twin Creek to the south?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Previously and recently there are posts that bring up the lack of thru-streets connecting east/west of McKinley and Douglas.
    I don't remember seeing that, especially because the master plan has been posted many times and it showed years ago what is referenced in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Press release:

Western Gateway Elementary School Breaks Ground
    Design incorporates natural light, colorful geometric patterns
    and dedicated outdoor learning spaces

Western Gateway Elementary School is set to open August 2021.

OKLAHOMA CITY (July 13, 2020) — Construction is officially underway at the site of Western Gateway Elementary School, just south of the Oklahoma River.

The 36,500-square-foot elementary school, located at Southwest 15th Street and South Douglas Avenue, is set to open August 2021. The school will serve south Oklahoma City students in the College Hill, Higgins Heights, Jones Grove, Wheeler District and Will Rogers Courts neighborhoods.

Western Gateway will offer a Spanish language dominant and non-Spanish language dominant dual-immersion program. This program will give students the opportunity to read and write in their native language while gaining bilingual capabilities in the secondary language. The school will accept 380 pre-K through fourth grade students.

The building, designed by architectural firm Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, is arranged around a 6,700-square-foot internal courtyard which creates outdoor learning spaces to inspire creativity and innovation.

“Our goal has been to create a simple, flexible and timeless building full of natural light,” said Wade Scaramucci, associate director for Allford Hall Monaghan Morris. “The school was designed to enhance and embrace the early educational curriculum, providing students with varied spaces for both learning and play.”

Additional design aspects include:
    • A cafeteria with internal plantings, acting as an extension of the external courtyard
    • Colorful geometric patterns running through the building to link key spaces
    • Adaptable integrated controls and technology to save energy
    • A reinforced storm shelter large enough for all school students and faculty

Heather Zacarias, newly appointed Western Gateway head of school, said the development is an exciting step in transforming the surrounding community.

“It’s thrilling to be able to come in at the beginning stages of this project and know we’ll have a beautiful space for children to grow, thrive and learn how to make a difference in the world,” she said.

Zacarias says the building's design embodies the collaborative culture the school strives to promote.

“This building is designed to foster creativity, ingenuity and teamwork in our students,” she said. “We know the community is excited to have an innovative, forward-thinking school dedicated to providing their children with the best education possible.”

About Western Gateway Elementary School
    Opening in August 2021, Western Gateway Elementary School strives to cultivate academic
    excellence and cross-cultural competency by developing curious learners, nurturing creativity, and celebrating diversity. Offering a rigorous curriculum and cultural learning experiences, we empower students to actively succeed in a global community.

You know, as beautiful as this place looks to be, I can't shake the idea that some insane, politically-driven meth head is going to see this place as a target. I love the idea of the school being here, but I can't shake the fact that we're in a politically charged climate that would consider a place that offers a bilingual curriculum to be a target. I do pray that there is ample amounts of armed security present to protect the students.

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS PLACE IN A NATIONAL NEWS FEED.

Kind of a stretch, no ? Bilingual school are common enough and not only for Spanish.

Good project overall.
    Are the terminal Commons open ?

Blog Entries

Yes to terminal commons

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    You know, as beautiful as this place looks to be, I can't shake the idea that some insane, politically-driven meth head is going to see this place as a target. I love the idea of the school being here, but I can't shake the fact that we're in a politically charged climate that would consider a place that offers a bilingual curriculum to be a target. I do pray that there is ample amounts of armed security present to protect the students.

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS PLACE IN A NATIONAL NEWS FEED.
    If you are this anxious about a school have you considered talking to a professional or preist about your anxieties?

@HHE

It's the talking to these kinds of professionals throughout my years that had me become a more patient individual as well as a critical thinker. I want to say it's merely speculation, but the only thing that has seemed to stop mass shootings in this country is an international pandemic, (that's depressing to admit).

Prayers up to say that I am wrong and that this is a place which nothing like that will ever happen.

HangryHippo Guest

What in the world? lol

I was hoping the school might have a little more height for being in an "urban" area... For some reason I like the multi-level schools around OKC and Tulsa proper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41C86022-0321-48F8-AEEA-8F5EF284CC6A.jpeg 
Views:	225 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	16309
    Some of the townhomes/shophomes taking shape

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    Kind of a stretch, no ? Bilingual school are common enough and not only for Spanish.

Good project overall.
    Are the terminal Commons open ?
    While I don't share the same concern as HFAA, when you say "common enough" in the context of an OKC/OK based forum - can you expound on that? Do we have a dual-immersion school anywhere else in the state?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    While I don't share the same concern as HFAA, when you say "common enough" in the context of an OKC/OK based forum - can you expound on that? Do we have a dual-immersion school anywhere else in the state?
    Not quite sure if it fits the criteria, but isn't Le Monde in Norman an example?

While certainly not common, Tulsa Public Schools have 2. Eisenhower International and Dual Immersion Academy both offer this program.

20. Default Re: Wheeler District

I believe TPS has a dual language program as well as Jenks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I believe TPS has a dual language program as well as Jenks.
    Jenks also has a Chinese immersion program.

Do we have a dual-immersion school anywhere else in the state?
    Yes, there are quite a few. My friend's kids attend one in Tulsa. There are a lot in Texas. Dual immersion schools have shown a lot of success. It's a great school model.

Sounds like the Oklahoma examples are basically all in Tulsa, so good to finally get one.

My wife is Argentine and my son (will be) a dual citizen. In theory he'll be truly bi-lingual so this school will be high up on the list of schools to try and transfer into - hopefully his background improves his chances and I imagine he'd be able to add a lot to the classroom assuming he'll be strong in both languages (He's not yet 1, so I think it's super early to tell if he'll have any language/learning disabilities).

Heronville school in Capitol Hill has been dual for years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E915B847-4282-4694-8676-F4E09FE37DC5.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	16388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9DF33888-20F2-4B4D-AEEC-77A5ABFAEA5C.jpeg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	16389
    Steel going up at future office building at Wheeler District.

Thread Information