Widgets Magazine
Page 75 of 113 FirstFirst ... 257071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2821

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Wheeler District

I have confirmed with a friend working on the project that all mail boxes will be in the mail room. Glad to put this case to rest.

This is only a tiny part of the overall development and already it is so awesome!!!

Blog Entries

I hadn't been by in months and rode my bike by it this past weekend and was really surprised how many houses there were at this point. Looks great from Western already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Eh, with all the vitriol and venom spewed towards EPIC, I doubt they were chomping at the bit for more charter schools in the area.

I don't know enough about Wheeler's proposal to comment on it besides saying that dual language immersion schools are in my opinion the best school model there is. My only question has been, why can't new Wheeler residents just get involved in the existing local school and work with local families already attending the school to advocate for a dual language immersion school? It always rubs me the wrong way to see people with means move into an area and decide that their children should get the school of their choosing.

^^^^ why shouldn’t they? If you have the money and means you should be able to send your kid where you choose. What is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^^ why shouldn’t they? If you have the money and means you should be able to send your kid where you choose. What is the problem?
    But not by creating a brand new school whenever you want.

This has already been done with John Rex Elementary and the middle school at Myriad Gardens. They also intend to add a high school.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I don't know enough about Wheeler's proposal to comment on it besides saying that dual language immersion schools are in my opinion the best school model there is. My only question has been, why can't new Wheeler residents just get involved in the existing local school and work with local families already attending the school to advocate for a dual language immersion school? It always rubs me the wrong way to see people with means move into an area and decide that their children should get the school of their choosing.
    Yeah, how dare people consider the essence of educational freedom or contemplate the best possible choices for their own children. They should be bowing and scraping to the state! #smh

HangryHippo Guest

Disregard.

13. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    But not by creating a brand new school whenever you want.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Why?
    Can't afford the ones we have.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Why?
    They can totally make their own school. Build a private school, thats why they exist. Dont suck off and rely on taxpayer dollars for this. If you dont want to put in the money to start you're own private school, get involved and help lift up the local schools already in the area to bring them to your standards. I would put good money on most in the community (not all) being on board with advancing the quality of education in existing schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Then they can send them to private school, cant they? Or they could have chosen to live somewhere else, if they are paying over $200/ft for a new house, Im sure they have several housing and school options.

Mount St. Mary's and Sacred Heart are very nearby and are excellent private schools.

Did I read the article correctly? They want to make sure the area stays at 60+ free and reduced lunches? Why is that the goal or a deciding factor? Can someone please help me out with that statement in the article?

Can someone explain to me how this denial is good for the low income families in the area around Wheeler that would have been able to send their kids to this school? I suspect this pretty much guarantees that people living in Wheeler will send their kids to private school, and the existing public schools in the area will continue on in their current state.

The existing public schools will not have dollars siphoned off to a charter school that those in the surrounding area have no guarantee of being admitted. I question how many of those in the Wheeler development would be using the public school in the first place.

^^probably a decent number of them since it would be #1 within walking distance, #2 strength in numbers (neighbors' kids would likely also attend), and would be a charter. John Rex is successful in attracting downtown residents despite being public charter so I would assume the wheeler school would have also attracted Wheeler residents. Who knows though.. not me!

22. Default Re: Wheeler District

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DKG View Post
    Can someone explain to me how this denial is good for the low income families in the area around Wheeler that would have been able to send their kids to this school? I suspect this pretty much guarantees that people living in Wheeler will send their kids to private school, and the existing public schools in the area will continue on in their current state.
    It's so sad that this is such a guarantee. It's a sad state of affairs to see the United States regress back to a segregated school system. White people won't even consider sending their kids to schools children of color have no choice but to attend. We live in a country where privileged kids get doors opened and kids in poverty and of color gets doors closed... starting at 5 years old.

If you're actually concerned about the resegregation of schools in the U.S. then read Hannah Nikole Jones work: https://nikolehannahjones.com/work/

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The existing public schools will not have dollars siphoned off to a charter school that those in the surrounding area have no guarantee of being admitted. I question how many of those in the Wheeler development would be using the public school in the first place.
    I imagine the school was at least part of the draw for the families moving down there. Unless something changes, we'll never know.

Just as we don't know how many families with children will live there, versus DINK'S

Thread Information