Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: The Waterfront

Ha, how strange! I remember hearing a few years ago that some trust fund kid from OkC bought a ferris wheel on ebay from california and had it shipped to Oklahoma. (must have been a great childhood) I have at times wondered what that was all about and what they were going to do with it... Now I see a picture of a ferris wheel down by the river!

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Ha, how strange! I remember hearing a few years ago that some trust fund kid from OkC bought a ferris wheel on ebay from california and had it shipped to Oklahoma. (must have been a great childhood) I have at times wondered what that was all about and what they were going to do with it... Now I see a picture of a ferris wheel down by the river!
    A little behind my friend, this was in the news when purchased and it was announced it would be installed at this location.

3. Default Re: The Waterfront

Forgive me, but how is this project supposed to pay for itself? The only thing there that has an income source looks to be the ferris wheel. It's a great greenspace and all, so I like it. I just don't see the economic benefit here....seems more geared to a municipal project than a private developer. Myabe some dock fees too, but that doesn't seem like it would be enough to help get an ROI on the amount of work that would need to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Forgive me, but how is this project supposed to pay for itself? The only thing there that has an income source looks to be the ferris wheel. It's a great greenspace and all, so I like it. I just don't see the economic benefit here....seems more geared to a municipal project than a private developer. Myabe some dock fees too, but that doesn't seem like it would be enough to help get an ROI on the amount of work that would need to be done.
    Don't you see the proposed/planned office buildings and or residential buildings, the Ferris Wheel is intended as a draw, not to make money.

Yeah, I remember reading that the ferris wheel had already been bought. See I think this should be put in first and very early, like before they even build the Central Park. Cause the only way of getting private developers to build condos, highrises, or businesses is to have something that catches the eye and is a popular destination. I am more in favor of building the C2S from river to downtown. I would like to see the convention center with the new blvd area and the river area developed first, and then fill in all the other in between stuff as time goes on. That is whats best for us economically and in reality.

That ferris wheel purchase is seeming more and more strange as time goes by and this project just gets deader and deader.

Have we all forgotten that Grant wanted to wait until the new I-40 crosstown was completed, I own about an acre of land on the back SW corner ajoining the Air-park fence.. I got it dirt cheap, but its in the 100 year flood plain.. I am still wondering how they are going to get all 70 acres out of the flood zone.. There is some debate weather its even in the flood zone due to all the flood control improvements.. Anyway we will have to wait until I-40 is completed..

Well its only a couple months out from being completed, if that...

I always thought Frontier City or White Water should move down to the waterfront. I hate driving that far out. I think they could make a killing downtown.

10. Default Re: The Waterfront

Typically if you were including those buildings in your project, you wouldn't grey them out. If you grey them out, it generally means it's just supposed to be surrounding development.....

Maybe I recall things incorrectly, but dinna they announce a while back their focus was going to be a development out at Lake Eufaula.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Maybe I recall things incorrectly, but dinna they announce a while back their focus was going to be a development out at Lake Eufaula.
    yessir.

The river we have is pathetic compared to others near cities. I think if this was to happen..it would be to crowded on the waters..

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    The river we have is pathetic compared to others near cities. I think if this was to happen..it would be to crowded on the waters..
    ... thus bringing more people and resources to the river to make it less pathetic in your opinion. lol

True, but that doesn't stop the fact its two small..if they were to do a "waterfront" project, they would have to widen the river in that general place

True, but that doesn't stop the fact its two small..if they were to do a "waterfront" project, they would have to widen the river in that general place
    I'm not trying to pick on you, but why would they have to widen the river? Do you feel like they should have widened the river by the boathouses? The wider you make it the less intimate and natural it's going to seem.

I'm pretty sure there are very urbanized waterfronts that are narrower than the Oklahoma River. It's all about how the buildings interact with the shoreline.

that's true, to be honest im just a young guy very interested and curious about OKC

that's true, to be honest im just a young guy very interested and curious about OKC
    So am I! (If 22 is still considered young; it is in my book lol)

18 hahaha

18 hahaha
    You're still not the youngest. LOL

Between the predominant wind being north/south, the river being predominantly east/west and the rivers the high banks blocking wind; I expect that Lake Hefner will continue to be where most people sail & windsurf in the city. There are wake restrictions so their is not going to be people water skiing or riding PWCs. So outside of the boats already out their, fishing boats may be the only others interested in the river (lakes).

Skanaly, welcome to OKC talk and it's great to have a young person interested. This project will honestly have no affect on needing a larger river though. Our river will never be in danger of becoming too crowded.

Well then that is good to know!

I'm sure you've actually looked at the project your talking about, right? Because the Humphreys Waterfront development DOES call for widening the river and making some inlets!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Between the predominant wind being north/south, the river being predominantly east/west and the rivers the high banks blocking wind; I expect that Lake Hefner will continue to be where most people sail & windsurf in the city. There are wake restrictions so their is not going to be people water skiing or riding PWCs. So outside of the boats already out their, fishing boats may be the only others interested in the river (lakes).
    Not to mention the river water is nasty and who would want to do swim/sail activities in it.

Thread Information