Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 113 FirstFirst 12345678954104 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Downtown Airpark

If Humphreys is able to make this development happen and it is successful, I am saying now that this would be the greatest modern development in the history of Okc.

I also know of real estate investors that have been buying up property in the older neighborhoods surrounding this area in southside Okc. This could be a huge game changer for South Okc, Capitol Hill, and the Stockyards. Ten, Fifteen, twenty years from now this is going to be an unbelievable transformation in and around this development, and Grant Humpreys is just the man to see this through.

This is the language the well-to-do use when asking for welfare:

“One of big challenges downtown and along the riverfront is infrastructure that is either nonexistent or antiquated and needs to be replaced and how might the city approach that infrastructure,” he said.

3. Default Re: Downtown Airpark

He sure the hell isn't lying though. The roads in and around downtown and the river are crap at best.

Well he's either a visionary for that area or trying to accomplish something that's not going to be very possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well he's either a visionary for that area or trying to accomplish something that's not going to be very possible.
    Spartan, the same thing has been said about many other areas that are now thriving.

This is true but all of those efforts were organic. There is no way for this development to take off organically. It will have to be forced. The current economic cycle of that area will not be able to evolve to support this project, so it will have to be uprooted and replaced. There is a field there now. Surrounded by blight. On the other side of downtown from the old highway, new highway, railroad tracks, and the river.

It does seem like a stretch, and the reason I just say that is that surely Grant Humphreys could more successfully pull this project off somewhere on the north shore of the river, more connected to downtown. But then it wouldn't have any major ramifications for the southside. To be clear, the Downtown Airpark site is hardly downtown--it is practically in Capitol Hill. Sometimes you see these major mixed-use developments in weird locations because they're served by a transit line or something, but there is hardly anything like that and likely won't ever be anything like that serving this development.

This is by far the most interesting thing we have cooking.

Whereas somewhere like the Plaza District, you saw a lot of people get together and identify a niche that wasn't being catered to in OKC. There were doubters who said "yeah right, what you're trying to create just isn't OKC." These people were dedicated and rallied the community and got people from within the community to open businesses and take part in the urban renaissance. Then they formed an event calendar to keep the district constantly buzzing with people watching and make it the center of OKC's self-proclaimed bohemian world. That's organic development that you see along NW 16th.

I'm just saying this doesn't make sense because it's not how this kind of thing normally goes. This doesn't normally happen because it doesn't normally work, it simply goes against urban planning dogma. Collected (and tested) wisdom would suggest that weird locations can either be a huge hit or a huge miss. So it will be very interesting to see it play out.

Spartan - if he puts in 950 new housing units in close proximity to downtown you can bet it is going to be on some future streetcar line, as it should be. The only debate will be if it is a line to the airport or to Capitol Hill. As for organic/non-organic growth, all of it in downtown OKC since 1994 has been non-organic. If you want to see organic growth in downtown OKC checkout 1950 to 1993. Until the suburban 'drive to everywhere' mind set is changed non-organic growth is all we have. Embrace it.

This is true but all of those efforts were organic. There is no way for this development to take off organically. It will have to be forced. The current economic cycle of that area will not be able to evolve to support this project, so it will have to be uprooted and replaced. There is a field there now. Surrounded by blight. On the other side of downtown from the old highway, new highway, railroad tracks, and the river.

It does seem like a stretch, and the reason I just say that is that surely Grant Humphreys could more successfully pull this project off somewhere on the north shore of the river, more connected to downtown. But then it wouldn't have any major ramifications for the southside. To be clear, the Downtown Airpark site is hardly downtown--it is practically in Capitol Hill. Sometimes you see these major mixed-use developments in weird locations because they're served by a transit line or something, but there is hardly anything like that and likely won't ever be anything like that serving this development.

This is by far the most interesting thing we have cooking.

Whereas somewhere like the Plaza District, you saw a lot of people get together and identify a niche that wasn't being catered to in OKC. There were doubters who said "yeah right, what you're trying to create just isn't OKC." These people were dedicated and rallied the community and got people from within the community to open businesses and take part in the urban renaissance. Then they formed an event calendar to keep the district constantly buzzing with people watching and make it the center of OKC's self-proclaimed bohemian world. That's organic development that you see along NW 16th.

I'm just saying this doesn't make sense because it's not how this kind of thing normally goes. This doesn't normally happen because it doesn't normally work, it simply goes against urban planning dogma. Collected (and tested) wisdom would suggest that weird locations can either be a huge hit or a huge miss. So it will be very interesting to see it play out.
    The airpark is just south of where the rail line to the airport crosses the river. I only see such a development working if there is a transit stop on a downtown-airport line. If you look at my conceptual map of a metro commuter/light rail system there is a potential stop just a half mile from this development which could be moved further east near McKinley. It would be nice to see that entire area right there along SW 15 to Penn north to the river redeveloped into a Stapleton-like development. It will be challenging for sure, and really needs the transit connection.

The more that I think, the more that I feel this is actually a bad location. Great development in a bad location. Better than a bad development in a great location, but still..mixed feelings about what he's trying to attempt.
    Good thing your not a player, because the real players disagree. He isn't some good ole boy, Grant has a proven track record of quality, sustainable development and real vision. Not this Mickey Mouse stuff some of our City Leaders are after.

I really hope they can see this through, but they may have reacted a little early to the potential of core-to-shore being a "30 year plan."

For reasons described by Spartan, it's difficult to imagine incremental pieces of the quality everybody expects standing alone in that part of town and doing well. Since there's nothing to build off of I imagine you really have to hit it with a huge hammer to ensure success.

Hopefully somebody is willing to invest about $250 million. Paging Larry Nichols...

I personally think the Humphrey's would have better odds with their Crown Heights plan but this would certainly be impressive if feasible.

11. Default Re: Downtown Airpark

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    I really hope they can see this through, but they may have reacted a little early to the potential of core-to-shore being a "30 year plan."
    They said their development would take 10-12 years as well to fully develop, and that's if they start in 2012. They've mentioned, mentioned, mentioned that they realize this site isn't a short-term plan, but a more drawn-out one.

And the surrounding area may be less than pretty, but it's healthy. There's wonderful wetland areas to the east, a dynamic river and parks to the north, and some neighborhoods to the west and south that could definitely use the value increase!

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    They said their development would take 10-12 years as well to fully develop, and that's if they start in 2012. They've mentioned, mentioned, mentioned that they realize this site isn't a short-term plan, but a more drawn-out one.
    I understand that. There are going to have to be a whole bunch of investors with a whole bunch of money in order to get it done. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. My opinion is that it's more than a little bit unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Grant has a proven track record of quality, sustainable development and real vision.
    Well I agree. I just think it weird that the Flatiron should die and fail to get off while this project is the most promising thing he's looking at right now.

Well I agree. I just think it weird that the Flatiron should die and fail to get off while this project is the most promising thing he's looking at right now.
    They don't own the flatiron, but they do own the airpark.

They have a huge project going at lake eufala. They've been carrying the airpark for years, I wouldn't call it "promising."

Lackmeyer, Oklahoman, 12/3/10

Grant Humphreys said he wants to complete an initial wave of multifamily housing, offices and a hotel by the time the new alignment of Interstate 40 opens in late 2012. The master plan for “The Waterfront” also includes retail and a park anchored by a Ferris wheel Grant Humphreys bought over eBay from the Santa Monica Pier.

At a presentation this week, Humphreys said current conditions along the Oklahoma River, despite progress with MAPS and Boathouse Row, discourage developers from taking a chance along the waterfront.

“If you are looking to do something along the riverfront today, it's parceled out in smaller pieces,” Humphreys said. “People are reluctant to put their money down without knowing what's going to happen next door.”
    Complete story here:
    http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-...ad_story_title

Quote Originally Posted by AbcGum View Post
    They have a huge project going at lake eufaula
    Is that project progressing? I remember thinking that was a cool development concept for Eufaula.

I wouldnt hold my breath on the airpark or flatiron projects. These are very ambitious and expensive plans. Grant also is quite a promoter of his projects, even when its likely these projects arent close to starting.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I wouldnt hold my breath on the airpark or flatiron projects. These are very ambitious and expensive plans. Grant also is quite a promoter of his projects, even when its likely these projects arent close to starting.
    This was my first thought when I saw the press release.

19. Default Re: Downtown Airpark

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Is that project progressing? I remember thinking that was a cool development concept for Eufaula.
    This project is progressing. Mainly civil/sitework at the moment, but it is moving foward.

This was in the middle of a story about Humphreys moving his family to Eufala to live in his new development. I will be interested to see how this works out, as I would think it would be harder to get people to buy south of the river than in places like Maywood Park. Visionary, but ahead of his time or savvy developer? We will see. I'm happy to see development occurring along the river, but wonder if the Flatiron Building might have been a better next project:

The third development, creation of a mixed retail and housing development on the site of the old Downtown Airpark along the Oklahoma River, is still set to begin later this year.

Grant Humphreys made national headlines when he purchased the Santa Monica Pier Ferris wheel to be a part of the planned 85-acre development dubbed “The Waterfront.”“We are more excited than ever about the opportunities in downtown Oklahoma City and along the Oklahoma River,” said Kirk Humphreys, who is staying in Oklahoma City and will oversee development of The Waterfront. “I look forward to seeing Oklahoma City continue to reach its potential as the I-40 realignment is completed and MAPS 3 begins to bear good fruit.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/urban-developer-gr...#ixzz1CQnenY9J

I would love to live at the lake too.

Sold and bought by local developer Grant Humphreys. Planned mixed-use development: The Waterfront, should break ground closer to I-40 completion.

So yes, I suppose a victim of I-40 relocation...
    From articles in the oklahoman indicated that it had closed due to being more than 1.5 million in debt with another couple hundred thousand coming due, they blamed it on effects on flying after 9/11. While some planes were stored their near the end, they had quit keeping fuel their.

I posted it over in the Oklahoman thread but how about we propose a trade...send Kirk to the Country and keep Grant here...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    I posted it over in the Oklahoman thread but how about we propose a trade...send Kirk to the Country and keep Grant here...
    I guess you thought it was a really funny comment and no one over there laughed so you thought you would post it here as well trying to get at least one person to laugh at your joke ... good try.

I think it's kinda funny. I wouldn't say that in public though, because Kirk's done a lot for OKC, despite that people have always been joking about trying to get him out of town..

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    From articles in the oklahoman indicated that it had closed due to being more than 1.5 million in debt with another couple hundred thousand coming due, they blamed it on effects on flying after 9/11. While some planes were stored their near the end, they had quit keeping fuel their.
    Yep. This is true. Did Kirk by the land in a public auction as sort of a bankruptcy auction? I'm trying to think if that was the case.

Thread Information