Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 113 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181964 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Oh well. One negative comment. Sorry I added to your new opinion of the site. Moving along...

They aren't setting up the temporary stages for something like Download or even ACL Fest, it is going to be a much smaller venue and acts at these and for that type of shows it should suffice as a temporary venue. You can't compare festival staging like they have at Bonaroo, Coachella or ACL Fest for one show every few weeks for mid-level acts, the economics just don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Thank you jccouger. It's not like we all have to drink the koolaid that is obviously flowing into everyone's mouths. That's why I don't post on gopokes.com anymore. People get all, "you're an OU fan!" if you sway any negative comments about oSu sports. You have to be objective and that includes both sides of the coin!
    I'm not sure "objective" means what you think it means.

And, everyone here is fine with critique, it's approach and presentation that are almost always lacking from those who take heat. If you expressed a concern in a thoughtful way people would not rip on you. Considering this seems to be a problem for you on multiple message boards, you might want to change approach.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I'm not sure "objective" means what you think it means.

And, everyone here is fine with critique, it's approach and presentation that are almost always lacking from those who take heat. If you expressed a concern in a thoughtful way people would not rip on you. Considering this seems to be a problem for you on multiple message boards, you might want to change approach.
    No issue for me. This is the first board that people have blown up on me. Obviously my vague "crap" description, lol, sent the attack out on me. If there is a perception that I have issues on multiple boards then I don't know what to say. It's not going to keep me from posting or holding back. I am who I am. If people muted themselves, there would be no leaders in this world. None the less, thanks for the overall observation. I'll try to speak my mind in a more G-rated fashion in the future ;-)

No issue for me. This is the first board that people have blown up on me. Obviously my vague "crap" description, lol, sent the attack out on me. If there is a perception that I have issues on multiple boards then I don't know what to say. It's not going to keep me from posting or holding back. I am who I am. If people muted themselves, there would be no leaders in this world. None the less, thanks for the overall observation. I'll try to speak my mind in a more G-rated fashion in the future ;-)
    I, for one, enjoy the vast majority of your comments and I hope that you keep posting. However, I don't think that two photos of a very incomplete stage setup are the criteria upon which we should judge this project. Just my two cents.

Good! I was basing the multiple boards thing on your own comment about the OSU boards, not any personal knowledge. Anyway, most of us can be better posters if we reflect every once and a while. It's not just about speaking our minds, but doing so in a way that furthers the dialogue.

I did actually see that 2nd setup they had going on to the east side of the property. I just assumed it was for sound/lighting, but you might be right in that it could be a part of the stage or possibly some other stage? It would be something else if it ended up being just one massive stage and I would happily eat crow if that comes to fruition.

Also, I feel like now (and obviously when they temp stage is finished) is the most opportune time to voice our concerns and opinions while this stage is "temporary", so when the actual permanent stage is built he might be able to take some of them in to consideration. We've seen countless times when concerns have been brought up here and have made an actual difference on the final outcome of projects. I will never drink the Kool-Aid when its obvious there can and should be improvements made. We are living in a different time in OKC, and we should be demanding the best.

You say we should be thankful that he is giving us anything because its his money, LOLLLLLL, you realize he is MAKING money off of this right? He isn't holding free concerts out of the kindness and goodwill of his heart. But hey, as long as their is money to be made then competition will follow and if he is willing to set the bar low sooner or later somebody will assume control. But either way, I won't say anything else negative until the venue is finished because you are correct in saying that it could end up better then it seems now.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Good! I was basing the multiple boards thing on your own comment about the OSU boards, not any personal knowledge. Anyway, most of us can be better posters if we reflect every once and a while. It's not just about speaking our minds, but doing so in a way that furthers the dialogue.
    This. I'm not here to call anybody out or be the comment police. This is everyones site and we need to make it as good as possible. Maybe it's not so much that the comments are negative. Everyone has a right to express their opinion. It's the way they are expressed. When the final product is out and people don't like it, the negative comments seem more validated.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    If you drove by an hour ago, you should have noticed what appears to be the rigging for ANOTHER stage going up, closer to Western, but on the other side of the new sod they have laid down. Perhaps they will have two stages facing each other, with the crowd area in between? That would be neat.
    Some may have missed this previous post about the stages.

There will be a full stage on the North side of the property and to the east of the stage will be a second stage/VIP deck
    with air-conditioned bathrooms and food and drink bars. In front of the stage will be a sectioned off area for VIP tickets
    that will also have access to the VIP Deck.

So when the designs were changed for the bare minimum Skydance Bridge and people thought that looked like crap, that was okay? I'm just trying to figure out because I give a vague based "it looks like crap" about a temporary stage that you have to go off on me as if my vague opinion does not qualify. Let's talk like gentlemen at the meet up. It's my feeling on the temporary stage lets leave it at that.

..and Architect2010, I like the sound of hater-aid ;-) Maybe that's what I'm sipping. Trust me, I can't wait for the permanent stage and I think it's awesome that they've picked a location along the river. I sent ZooAmp a message several months ago about a rumor of them building a new venue along the river and they only recently acknowledged me after the fact that the official announcement was made. I hope the final product looks good both day and night and not just in a rendering. I want what is best for OKC as everyone does. Just cause I see things differently doesn't mean anyone needs to criticize my point of view regardless of whether it is thought of as premature or not.
    Oh, I am pretty sure I was an ahole to the people ripping on Skydance too. lol. I'm pretty much a smartass on every message board I post on. It's part of my "charm." (very heavy quotation marks)

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I drove by it less than an hour ago. Its tiny. You can even see from the picture with the truck in the background for a frame of reference.

I will give it that its in a cool setting with downtown right in its view and right next to river, but as far as the actual stage setup its really cheap. Especially for all the concerts that are supposed to take place there.

I guess you go to concerts for the music though, so hopefully they have a nice speaker set up. Based on the stage frame design and size, I'd guess no.
    Yep, I agree. I took pics of it a couple weeks ago to post, but it's so small and hard to see in the pic, it's not worth posting.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Oh, I am pretty sure I was an ahole to the people ripping on Skydance too. lol. I'm pretty much a smartass on every message board I post on. It's part of my "charm." (very heavy quotation marks)
    haha! I rode along the river yesterday and kinda peeked over the top of the river dyke at the monster 3 pointed green tent (which is the tenant of the main stage) and it didn't look too bad, so bravo to ZooAmp Entertainment. On a side note, two rogue dogs took after me while I was riding. I did not know what their objective was so I rode faster than the wind!

firstshow is thursday, so we'll know more at that time.

An update.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3865583?embargo=1

Concerts at the Downtown Airpark — with its close-ups of the downtown skyline at night — could be a catalyst for growth along the riverfront, providing a steppingstone between busy “anchor” destinations that bookend the seven-mile corridor.

Pollack, the veteran concert promoter who booked the Zoo Amphitheatre until last year, said the 80-acre Downtown Airpark “will help connect the dots between the east part of downtown and the west part of downtown.”

The Downtown Airpark can be used for concerts for up to three years under zoning provisions approved May 28 by the city council.

Pollack has another riverside site in mind for a permanent music venue — a modern amphitheater, state-of-the-art with indoor and outdoor stages — to keep music on the river.

15. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Just some mobile shots, but I was at the Sublime concert and thought I'd share. Really cool venue -- just need to work out some of the huge mud rivers that everyone had to take bounding leaps across. lol.

17. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    If you drove by an hour ago, you should have noticed what appears to be the rigging for ANOTHER stage going up, closer to Western, but on the other side of the new sod they have laid down. Perhaps they will have two stages facing each other, with the crowd area in between? That would be neat.
    My buddy who is doing a festival there said there is a main stage with two smaller stages for other bands or soundsystems.

Does anyone know about the city buying up property right on the WEST side of the AIRPARK?

Couple of questions..

is Steel Supply still operating in their buildings along SW 11th and McKinley Ave?

Could the city be the initial buyer of property in an effort to lure GE to OKC instead of Norman?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Couple of questions..

is Steel Supply still operating in their buildings along SW 11th and McKinley Ave?

Could the city be the initial buyer of property in an effort to lure GE to OKC instead of Norman?
    I don't think the city can contend with the neighborhood surrounded by the property you're asking about. Norman would be a whopper of a location better than there any decade...present or future.

I think the best bet for DT GE location would be the area east of Lincoln, north of the traintracks and south of NE 4th street. There aren't a lot of properties in this area and it would be equal distance to OUHSC and DD/BT. I imagine we will see OUHSC moving south if there is further expansion as opposed to east or north.

My realtor called me and said one of his clients who owns property around SW 18 and mckinley got a letter from the city about acquiring his property.. I own an acre right at the SW corner of the airpark fence on SW 20th..

Motley Crue concert tonight.

Here's some recent facebook page pics:

And this is their cover photo (taken from the Sublime concert):

Source: https://www.facebook.com/OKCAirpark

Review of Friday night's concert:

Live Shots: Stone Temple Pilots and Motley Crue in Oklahoma City @ Antiquiet

It's about the acts and not the venue. But still, a good read. Wish their cameraman had swung around and taken a shot with the skyline in the background.

Short article about the Airpark here:

Airpark heals sore for medium range venues in OKC | The Echo

Thread Information