Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 113 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661111 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeler District

1. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

I would like to see the concert venue take off there and become a nicer more perminent facility. I loved going to outdoor concert.s at the zoo amp but would e
    Welcome a nice venue on the river.

Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    until they just renew it because no one has come up with a permanent solution. Please forgive my cynicism, but nothing at the airpark has seemed to have moved at all....ever. The last thing i went to there was 4th of July fireworks likst 6 years ago. The place is just as empty as it was then.
    Did you miss Humphrey's permanent solution? Just because it hasn't broke ground, doesn't mean it won't happen. He even recently stated it's still in the works. You people have to lose the instant gratification mentality, just because we've had recent success.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Did you miss Humphrey's permanent solution? Just because it hasn't broke ground, doesn't mean it won't happen. He even recently stated it's still in the works. You people have to lose the instant gratification mentality, just because we've had recent success.
    Can you provide a link to where was it reported that he recently said it's still in the works? If it's in this thread, please direct me to it as I must have overlooked it.

Not surprising this hasn't broke ground yet for 2 reasons, A)it was highly ambitious to begin with and B) for what they're proposing and where its at, its just a little ahead of its time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see nothing happen until a few years after the park is built.

5. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

The last thing I heard from Grant on this was to expect the development to follow a sequence more like Carlton Landing.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    The last thing I heard from Grant on this was to expect the development to follow a sequence more like Carlton Landing.
    Can you clarify this at all? I'm not familiar enough with Carlton Landing to know what he meant by that, other than guessing it means the sequence will be extremely slow.

FYI Carlton Landing is booming, I'd encourage you to follow Carlton Landing and Grant on FB and Twitter if you want more updates, pics, etc.

HangryHippo Guest

FYI Carlton Landing is booming, I'd encourage you to follow Carlton Landing and Grant on FB and Twitter if you want more updates, pics, etc.
    Cool, I didn't know they had a Facebook page. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Judging by Facebook, that development looks really nice.

Looks like the downtown airpark has its first concert:

Oct. 3 – Oklahoma City, Okla., DT Airpark

The Lumineers Of Fall | Pollstar

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post

So has there been action on this site? Are they going to build a grand stage of some sort?

11. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Can you clarify this at all? I'm not familiar enough with Carlton Landing to know what he meant by that, other than guessing it means the sequence will be extremely slow.
    Basically:

Infrastructure>lower-density housing>higher-density housing>mixed-use.

Instead of Phase I developments of tens of millions of dollars like what was common nationally 7-10 years ago, this project might start small and slowly grow into the masterplan.

This is small thinking, and it is a lot likelier to be a small failure than big thinking being a big failure.

There's a facebook page now for the airpark concert venue:

https://www.facebook.com/OKCAirpark

14. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This is small thinking, and it is a lot likelier to be a small failure than big thinking being a big failure.
    Somehoe, i think the operative word on this is failure. Not that I dont think it's a really awesome concept and wouldnt' love to have it on the river. I just don't think it's going to happen. Our hopes on C2S i think are stretched on what it will actually produce in our lifetime, and given that, the extra load of residential on the river will probably not help the situation.

Horrible logo.

Horrible logo.
    But it's Thunder colors...

Motley Crue is supposed to be there September 13.

The Lumineers are awesome. That'll be a fantastic show.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Somehoe, i think the operative word on this is failure. Not that I dont think it's a really awesome concept and wouldnt' love to have it on the river. I just don't think it's going to happen. Our hopes on C2S i think are stretched on what it will actually produce in our lifetime, and given that, the extra load of residential on the river will probably not help the situation.
    I disagree completely. The reason the airpark redevelopment is going slow is just because there's nothing bridging the location to downtown so it's effectively Capitol Hill. But seeing real development now in C2S is being hampered by the uncertainty regarding all the big ticket projects and planning elements that may even once again cut the entire area off from downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I disagree completely. The reason the airpark redevelopment is going slow is just because there's nothing bridging the location to downtown so it's effectively Capitol Hill. But seeing real development now in C2S is being hampered by the uncertainty regarding all the big ticket projects and planning elements that may even once again cut the entire area off from downtown.
    You're argument against it being connected to DT could be said for your argument that it's "Capitol Hill", it's just as disconnected from both IMO. It's a great filler between the two until something more permanent appears.

Not really. For those who grew up on the southside, Capitol Hill is broadly defined as a region of the city, not just 1 street or 1 building (the high school) as it seems to be for most northsiders.

This is Capitol Hill. The neighborhood that this abuts to the west is horrific, one of the worst for crime in the city (along SW 15th toward Penn).

Blog Entries

No northsider I know thinks of Capital Hill as 1 street or 1 building. BUT, we do think of it as a pretty neglected area that has tremendous and obvious potential. And, it seems like the Waterfront would most likely relate to a rejuvenated Capital Hill area more so than it would with Bricktown.

The biggest thing slowing down the Waterfront is that other areas are more attractive right now and there is still plenty of development opportunities in those areas...Btown, DD, Midtown, SOSA. OKC is not so big that EVERY development opportunity can be done simultaneously and be successful. The money is going where it is safer. A developer doing something in Btown, DD, Midtown doesn't need to do a big PR job to explain why you would want to live there. At Waterfront they will be plowing new ground and that is always more expensive and riskier. That is why a cautious approach will be taken. Moving forward too slowly will be a failure. Full speed ahead most likely would be a failure. But, a slow and ramping up start can work. It is like when an airliner takes off. It starts slowly, picks up speed, and at some point it cannot stop - it is full throttle. This will most likely be that kind of project.

I agree that it would help to have a better connection to the CBD. If I were the Humphries, I'd buy a Vaporetto a d have it make cross river trips.

Just saw an advertisement in the new gazette for Sublime with Rome, Pennywise and Kottonmouth Kings at the DT Airpark on July 25th.

In an article when interviewing Howard Pollack, manager of the DT Airpark, said two major country shows await confirmation and a latin music festival is in the planning stages. He also said his company is in the process of planning a new 15,000 seat amphitheatre somewhere along the Oklahoma River with a target date of 2015/2016.

He also said his company is in the process of planning a new 15,000 seat amphitheatre somewhere along the Oklahoma River with a target date of 2015/2016.
    That's a pretty good size venue so I think he would be limited to where it would go. My guess would be either the Pull A Part Auto yard, east of Shields, south if I-40, north of the river or maybe the Wheeler park area.

Thread Information