Widgets Magazine
Page 108 of 113 FirstFirst ... 858103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 2821

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Wheeler District

Are they going to tear up the runway when it gets to that phase or leave it?

And I noticed this weekend that there was a fenced area along western (you can see it in the above pics by Pete). Is that for the apartments?

4. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Utility work needs to be done, so they will tear it up and replace it.

look at the road/blvd in the section with the housing that was the runway and was fully demoed .. and turned into that

the rest of the runway will be demoed as well

And I noticed this weekend that there was a fenced area along western (you can see it in the above pics by Pete). Is that for the apartments?
    Yes, believe it will be a staging area for the apartments to be built to the west and on the site of the hanger to the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, believe it will be a staging area for the apartments to be built to the west and on the site of the hanger to the south.
    The south hangar is up for auction soon at Dakil. Anyone need a 25k sqft barndominium? https://www.proxibid.com/SHEET-METAL...ation/75530603

8. Default Re: Wheeler District

The first Wheeler Crit of the season is happening tonight in Wheeler, starting at 5:30 pm. It's always a fun thing to watch with a good group of people.

Last night was pretty fun. Great weather, and a great event (as always). If you haven't been down there during the crit races, you should definitely check it out. Next week's weather looks great.

Races start at 5:30
    C - 5:30
    Women - 6:05
    B - 6:35
    A - 7:15

A demolition permit has been issued for the hangar so it should be coming down soon.

As you can see, this development is filling out fast.

They soon will have completely developed the lower half of the section west of Western.

Will be very interesting to see what they do closer to the river.

Quite a few rooftops with solar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As you can see, this development is filling out fast.

They soon will have completely developed the lower half of the section west of Western.

Will be very interesting to see what they do closer to the river.

I'm so glad you included ground level photos. You can really get a sense of the feel of the place at ground level.

Wheeler will be on the Parade of Homes the next 2 weekends.

15. Default Re: Wheeler District

Thanks for sharing these great pictures Pete. I think this is the coolest and most important development going on in all of Oklahoma. Shows that there's an appetite for something different, a dense neighborhood that isn't found most places in OKC/Tulsa.

The law of diminishing returns will hit this project like a freight train. 900k for a 2100 square foot home? I wonder how long these houses stay on the market for.

17. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Quite a few rooftops with solar
    Kind of interesting. I thought all wheeler properties were tied into geothermal?

18. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Kind of interesting. I thought all wheeler properties were tied into geothermal?
    They are, except for the very first small homes. Solar and geothermal aren't mutually exclusive.

19. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The law of diminishing returns will hit this project like a freight train. 900k for a 2100 square foot home? I wonder how long these houses stay on the market for.
    There are only a couple houses that are priced like that (only one that's $900k and 2100 sq ft) and, as previously mentioned, they're all built and sold by Building Culture (vs Wheeler Home), using their specific building style, which they believe brings major additional value. Houses in the district are still selling strong and Wheeler is about to begin Phase 3.

It sort of brings a smile to my lips when I read comments about how this-and-such development is doomed because of price point, or location, or building style, or how "a freight train" is coming, as if these developers haven't spent millions of dollars and thousands of hours to make sure they have found a market. The market will speak and people will adjust in one direction or another. And this comment isn't really to answer CHS Sooner directly, it's more to respond to the many OKC Talk Facebook comments this morning that just slammed or laughed at this development.

The simple fact is, even if 90+ percent of OKC-metro area residents might prefer a certain lot size or suburban building style, or be comfortable with a certain price per SF, that still leaves tens of thousands of people open to something different. 20 years ago, only a tiny handful of people lived downtown and now thousands do at a higher price per SF in many cases than would have been dreamed of.

The world changes. Styles change. I applaud Wheeler for trying something different. This is what living in a dynamic city is about.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    It sort of brings a smile to my lips when I read comments about how this-and-such development is doomed because of price point, or location, or building style, or how "a freight train" is coming, as if these developers haven't spent millions of dollars and thousands of hours to make sure they have found a market. The market will speak and people will adjust in one direction or another. And this comment isn't really to answer CHS Sooner directly, it's more to respond to the many OKC Talk Facebook comments this morning that just slammed or laughed at this development.

The simple fact is, even if 90+ percent of OKC-metro area residents might prefer a certain lot size or suburban building style, or be comfortable with a certain price per SF, that still leaves tens of thousands of people open to something different. 20 years ago, only a tiny handful of people lived downtown and now thousands do at a higher price per SF in many cases than would have been dreamed of.

The world changes. Styles change. I applaud Wheeler for trying something different. This is what living in a dynamic city is about.
    The OKC page on Reddit is convinced this will be a massive failure.

22. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post

The Facebook comments are always hilarious to me. At first I was somewhat taken aback by the hatred toward the development, but then as Pete posted additional content, it quickly became clear that so many of the negative comments are the same people making the exact same, contrived, and dumb comment every time. It's the same "This gives me Truman Show/Stepford vibes" comment over and over as if each poster thinks they've found an original take. It's kind of sad for them, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    The OKC page on Reddit is convinced this will be a massive failure.
    The OKC reddit is filled with a lot of room temperature IQs.

My comment wasn't a slight at this project, as I love it! I have spent many an evening at Big Friendly. My only concern is the coming housing crisis (which may keep getting put off and delayed, but is coming). But I hope this succeeds, and that it keeps growing amd more and more people end up here, and that I am proven wrong. I would love to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    The Facebook comments are always hilarious to me. At first I was somewhat taken aback by the hatred toward the development, but then as Pete posted additional content, it quickly became clear that so many of the negative comments are the same people making the exact same, contrived, and dumb comment every time. It's the same "This gives me Truman Show/Stepford vibes" comment over and over as if each poster thinks they've found an original take. It's kind of sad for them, honestly.
    It's a small mind that can't comprehend how different people like different things at different stages in life.

I love this development but I just spent 25 years in incredibly dense areas and I'm very happy on my centrally-located 1/3 acre with 20 mature trees. At the same time, I completely understand the appeal of Wheeler and why people want to live downtown. I also understand they don't need all 1.5 million people in the OKC area to want to live in the Wheeler District, just a few thousand and clearly they are having no trouble selling homes and drawing businesses.

I also highly doubt any of those people have even bothered to walk around down there and take it all in because there is no way not to be impressed, even if you don't want to buy a home there.

What is in the mind of this massive group of people that feel compelled to express their hatred for something that has absolutely nothing to do with them? You don't like it, then don't buy there, don't eat there, don't spend your money there... That type of anger has to come from a place of deep unhappiness.

Thread Information