Widgets Magazine
Page 104 of 113 FirstFirst ... 45499100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 2821

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Wheeler District

The main issue is addiction which is often compounded with mental illness.

If anyone has ever had a close friend or family member with serious addiction problems, even those in good living situations with loving families and lots of insurance / resources often face a bleak future. I have two people I was very close to with strong addiction issues and both of them had tons of people actively trying to help them and both were homeless for a period and both died at young ages, even having been through rehab multiple times.

I give to the charities that help people with addiction so at least the ones open to help have some options.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    the main issue is addiction which is often compounded with mental illness.

If anyone has ever had a close friend or family member with serious addiction problems, even those in good living situations with loving families and lots of insurance / resources often face a bleak future. I have two people i was very close to with strong addiction issues and both of them had tons of people actively trying to help them and both were homeless for a period and both died at young ages, even having been through rehab multiple times.

I give to the charities that help people with addiction so at least the ones open to help have some options.

There but for the grace of god go i.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The problem with any type of organized camp is the same with the various shelters:

1) The homeless don't want to live in designated areas; they want to create their own camps.
    2) Many don't want to obey rules and there is significant stealing, violence, being high, cooking drugs, etc.
    3) As soon as any type of order is imposed, most will move elsewhere.

And who takes responsibility for these camps? Huge property / insurance issues.

Who polices them -- you can't just allow people to commit violence, steal and buy/sell/manufacture drugs.

The bottom line is that the huge majority of homeless don't want to follow any rules and for any sort of living situation -- indoor or outdoor -- that creates massive problems.

I'm sad to say, there are no good solutions otherwise cities around the world would be employing them. Almost all have tried. In less tolerant countries they merely forcibly round them up and lock them up periodically.

All you can really do is have mobile outreach programs to advise about the litany of services. But as has been pointed out elsewhere, you can't force anyone to do anything (other than chase them out of a place and just have them go somewhere else).

I ran a nonprofit in LA that had a homeless outreach program and was part of a city-wide alliance. All that really can be done is advise them of the various services, offer to get them a ride, and hope they use them. The huge majority never will, at least in any way that makes a lasting difference.

I hate to sound defeatist but it's largely a problem without good answers.
    !00% correct! I've worked with ministries to the homeless and what Pete says is absolutely correct. The lack of wanting to abide by any type of guidelines causes more complications in dealing with the homeless. Many homeless are fiercely independent for the reason Pete mentioned.

That is a pretty serious brick frame on this building.

I love the architectural diversity of this development.

I really like the "New Urbanist" design theme. Carlton Landing on Lake Eufaula is another example of this type of development. My favorite place is Seaside Florida which has this theme as well. Hopefully, Wheeler Park will reach it's potential and provide much density for this development!

9. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That is a pretty serious brick frame on this building.
    They work with a builder who specializes in historic masonry-based construction. He relocated from (I believe) Atlanta just to work with these developers on their new urbanist projects. I was lucky enough to tour a home under construction at Carlton Landing a few years ago.

Most folks don’t immediately see THAT much difference between these structures and a typical home, but it is a completely different (and much older) technology at work here. In 99.9% of typical “brick” homes built in the last 100 years, the brick is really just a thin veneer applied in front of a wood framed structure. The home you see in this pic has ZERO wood framing at this point; the masonry is structural rather than simply decorative.

This is the way homes and buildings were constructed for centuries, right up until the industrial revolution began to slowly eliminate craftsmanship from the equation.

10. Default Re: Wheeler District

Maybe the folks in Hollywood will film "The Truman Show 2" here.

Couldn't find it in my quick search, but what are the HOA fees here?

They recently platted out most of the property on the west side of Western, with lots more housing. Also more live/work units are planned on land adjacent to the existing.

They continue to sell houses as quickly as they can be built.

If things continue at this rate, they may start work on the east side of Western sooner rather than later. Western already carries tons of traffic that is moving very fast through that area; the intersection with I-40 is often backed up. I know they wanted to slow things down through there and make it easier to cross between the east/west sections, but it's hard to imagine that happening other than simple pedestrian crossing walks/lights.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Couldn't find it in my quick search, but what are the HOA fees here?
    There is a property on zillow located at 1912 Pioneer Street. It is listed as $879M. The HOA fees is advertised at $2,352/year.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    There is a property on zillow located at 1912 Pioneer Street. It is listed as $879M. The HOA fees is advertised at $2,352/year.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Thank you
    You're welcome. I have never lived in an HOA, so I don't know if the cost is the same regardless of the property size/price or if it changes if you paid more. Maybe someone can weigh in here.

$2,352 a year seems very cheap for HOA. Are they building a community pool?

17. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    $2,352 a year seems very cheap for HOA. Are they building a community pool?
    The pool is built, but not yet operational. Not sure what the delay is, but it should be open very soon by the looks of it.

Western already carries tons of traffic that is moving very fast through that area; the intersection with I-40 is often backed up.
    The backing up during commute hours has been crazy. I posted about it few months ago in the Action Center to give more time for Northbound traffic, but I haven't seen a change yet. I would love for those traffic lights to be either sensor-based or uneven times with more time being given to Northbound. I haven't seen any large backup of vehicles on the other 3 sides at any time of the day and it's always the Northbound that's backed up.

I know they wanted to slow things down through there and make it easier to cross between the east/west sections, but it's hard to imagine that happening other than simple pedestrian crossing walks/lights.
    I saw Roundabout planned on Western, but I don't know when the work will start. I think the roundabout will definitely help for pedestrians with crossing Western, as well as for vehicles entering Western from the community.

19. Default Re: Wheeler District

The traffic at that bridge is ridiculous, as the poster above said. Some days in can take me 30 minutes just to get from one side of the bridge to the next because of the terrible design and light timing. I’m not sure what the city and ODOT can do short of a complete redesign, but it seems like a 1980’s design meant for 1/10th the traffic.

As to the roundabout, it would greatly improve the traffic situation on Western near the district. People regularly go 60 mph+ down that stretch, so a roundabout would stop that. It would also making egress and ingress much easier. My understanding is that it’s just a proposal right now and is a long way off (10 years) due to the need to get city approval and funding, but that could be an old understanding.

That townhome alley in wheeler district needs those stringed lights overhead.

Can you imagine a development with this kind of planning, but for housing that doesn't require the owners to be significantly wealthy?

22. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by Mantison View Post
    Can you imagine a development with this kind of planning, but for housing that doesn't require the owners to be significantly wealthy?
    I live in Wheeler and I would not consider myself to be "significantly wealthy" and I know several neighbors who are certainly not "significantly wealthy," including some who work service industry jobs and some families here who are on single incomes. So, yes, I can absolutely imagine a development with this kind of planning that doesn't require the owners to be "significantly wealthy."

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    that has to be the most expensive house in the world at $879m haha

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    that has to be the most expensive house in the world at $879m haha
    In financial world m means thousands. And mm is millions.
    So 879m means same as 879k

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    In financial world m means thousands. And mm is millions.
    So 879m means same as 879k
    Oh, you thought I was serious? What is this Rome?

Thread Information