Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In and Out Burger Coming to Region!

Default Re: In and Out Burger Coming to Region!

I've said this several times so here it is again...

In-N-Out has very fresh, high quality ingredients and it's cheap. Like McDonald's cheap for way, way better quality food.

It's wildly popular for a reason. Even out here where there are several within a few miles of me, they are all crowded all the time. I've never seen a fast food restaurant so consistently busy. And that's pretty much all of them, years and years after they are open, not just because they are new.

The first time I ate there, I was underwhelmed. Since, I've grown to really appreciate it in general and as a great value. They also have amazing service and pay their employees very well.

Taste is the most subjective of all experiences but you can't compare a $2 In-N-Out burger to a $9 Republic burger (those are the actual prices).

And I've never once heard anyone call In-N-Out 'disgusting'.

These are the ratings from Consumer Reports. The only higher rated burger is The Habit, which I like but don't love and they are pretty much exclusive to California. I think I've only eaten there once.

Note that almost all the burgers on this list are almost twice as expensive as In-N-Out (or more):

As Pete said, it's unfair to compare fast food burgers to medium price fast-casual dining establishment.

I also prefer S&B to In-N-Out. But that's unfair as they are two completely different price points and concepts.

Best comparison is S&B to Garage, and In-N-Out to Sonic.

Three classifications:

1. Fast food -- generally has drive-thru and cheap (McDonald's, In-N-Out, Whataburger, etc.)
    2. Quick service - order at the counter, some beer and mid-priced (Five Guys, Tuckers, Smashburger)
    3. Full service - wait staff, full bar and most expensive (Republic, S&B)

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    In-N-out is the wanting what you don't have syndrome. Go to parts of the country that don't have sonics and theyll rant and rave about how awesome it is. In-n-out is a fine fast food burger no doubt, but what makes its special is that used to be really hard to get. Vegas/Phoenix was the closest one until the expanded into texas.
    I've had In-N-Out in Las Vegas and in California. It is definitely one of the best fast food burgers I have ever had.

Looks like the ones in Texas don't share the same standards that the ones on the West coast do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

And I've never once heard anyone call In-N-Out 'disgusting'.
    Maybe I hit it at a bad time, but the burger that I had last night was disgusting and made me nauseous. To be fair though, it was at 1:30 AM. I may have to give it one more try before I pass judgment on it.

Our neighborhood shopping center has a Habit and an In-n-Out. I go to Habit weekly, but hardly ever to In-n-Out. the In-n-Out burger is good, but I don't care for the fries and they don't have onion rings. Not on the list is Islands. Islands would do great in OKC. The have good burgers, all you can eat fries, great onion rings and the theme is Hawaii and surfing. It's a $9 burger/fries place.

It may be a regional thing, but my sister also completely dismissed the In-N-Out burger after tasting the "special sauce" on it. she is a tried and true mustard girl and for those, nothing beats Whataburger. In-N-Out standard burger has a thousand island like sauce on it. I think the monster has double sauce, but the old fashioned uses mustard, supposedly placed on the patty when it's cooked.

Be careful with a weekly habit, it can get you in trouble. Any burger joint is going to have lovers and haters. It will probably do well. The novelty effect alone can last a year or two.

9. Default Re: In and Out Burger Coming to Region!

I heard hype for years about Smashburger and Five Guys, and was excited to try them when they entered the market. Overrated. When it comes to true fast food burgers I'll put Whataburger up against other true fast concepts (I like Freddy's too), and Tucker's/S&B/Garage are really hard to beat for fast casual.

Freddy's is dangerous to visit often, those shakes...

11. Default Re: In and Out Burger Coming to Region!

Fortunately they are nowhere near me. Tucker's, S&B and Garage, OTOH...

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I had In-N-Out yesterday in Dallas for the first time. I have to say I am not sure what the hype is about. It has to be one of the most disgusting burgers I have ever had. I was actually nauseous after eating it. If they never come to OKC that's more than fine with me. Places like Republic and S&B have some of the best burgers I've ever eaten.
    We had them in San Francisco several years back and can't seem to get a grasp why people think the sun rises and sets around them ? Nothing special about them other than they were open late at night.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Freddy's is dangerous to visit often, those shakes...
    I appreciate that Freddys always has more workers than needed on hand. Giving kids a chnace to work means a lot IMO.
    And FYI, THE Best Burger in Okc is Interurbans Cheddar Burger. (not particularly on topic to this thread)

In my opinion In n Out is really that good and whataburger is just okay.

I guess I prefer mustard-centric burgers and that's why I like Sonic and Whataburger and was pretty underwhelmed by In-n-Out.

As for Five Guys, its probably my favorite fast food burger.

"Animal Style" at In-N-Out is grilled with mustard and I prefer it to their regular burger but both are pretty great IMO.

Since Whataburger is in Oklahoma, I'm glad it's rated close to as good In n Out.

That darn Monterey Melt burger at What A Burger is enough to make me forget about just about every other fast food burger. But In N Out has its appeal for simple fast food done well for a good price.

I don't like Whataburger at all.

I wonder how In and Out Burger stacks up against Braum's, which has the best 'fast food' burger I've ever had, even if they aren't that fast.

I really like Five Guys if you're getting into that next tier up, expense wise.

In-n-Out is not in competition with gourmet burgers. It is in competition with places like McDonalds and BK. The main draw is that it is supposed to be a super quick stop (In-N-Out), and I think all of their ingredients are fresh/organic but still at fast food prices. I don't think they're bad enough to make you sick consistently (not doubting your experience, just not sure that would be the norm), but not gonna knock anyone's socks of in a burger crazy place like OKC. I actually think they would do okay here, considering the alternatives at their price point.

I wonder if their business model is dependent on having cult-status amounts of demand, or if it can survive with regular fast-food traffic.

BTW, In-N-Out is very different than any of the burger places in this way: They only sell burgers, cheeseburgers, fries, shakes and soft drinks. That's it.

No chipotle bacon ranch burger on focaccia bread. No hot dogs or chicken or nuggets or breakfast items. No chasing trends. Just fresh burgers and fries and shakes made with real ice cream.

They concentrate on making a few items very well at a great price with great service. And IMO they do it very, very well.

Well.... am sure OKC will get an In and Out Burger if the Tulsa location does well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I heard hype for years about Smashburger and Five Guys, and was excited to try them when they entered the market. Overrated. When it comes to true fast food burgers I'll put Whataburger up against other true fast concepts (I like Freddy's too), and Tucker's/S&B/Garage are really hard to beat for fast casual.
    Yes, Five Guys here is not the same as the ones I've enjoyed in Washington, DC and New York City for years. There is a reason why they had such a following there, but it hasn't translated to the franchise location. They just don't taste the same.

Some WhataBurgers are great, but I had some pretty bad ones too....depends on the store.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Well.... am sure OKC will get an In and Out Burger if the Tulsa location does well.
    Where is there one in Tulsa?

25. Default Re: In and Out Burger Coming to Region!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, In-N-Out is very different than any of the burger places in this way: They only sell burgers, cheeseburgers, fries, shakes and soft drinks. That's it.

No chipotle bacon ranch burger on focaccia bread. No hot dogs or chicken or nuggets or breakfast items. No chasing trends. Just fresh burgers and fries and shakes made with real ice cream.

They concentrate on making a few items very well at a great price with great service. And IMO they do it very, very well.
    I think of In-N-Out when I look at Tucker's menu. They seem to follow the same model.

Thread Information