Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actual City?

1. Default Actual City?

There was a discussion on the LiveWire the other day and this was brought up by a person that was recently looking for a house in the area.

I am talking about SE 44th between Sunnylane and Sooner. North side is Del City and south side is OKC. Well, this person told me that the south side is actually Del City, but will show up as OKC. This person also mentioned that OKC actually start at the southwest corner of SE 44th and Sunnylane.

Which is it? Does Del City actually own the entire block south of 44th?

Also to ponder is the First Baptist Church still maintain their Del City address even being on the MWC side.

My apartment address is OKC, but I know that Del City tend to show up as OKC for Postal Services. I just want to know for sure what city I am actually living within.

2. Default Re: Actual City?

Its OKC...Del City stops half way across 44th. The church is also OKC. MWC stops at 29th.

3. Default Re: Actual City?

4. Default Re: Actual City?

That looks cool.

5. Default Re: Actual City?

There are a couple of weird spots in MWC too. Bicentennial Park on 29th St. across from Town Center, is in MWC even though it's across from 29th. MWC takes the land north of I-40 there instead of 29th.

Continuing that to Douglas Blvd, all of the businesses between I-40 and 29th are MWC as well. There's a storage place, the old original AutoMax, a couple other small places. Just more in the weird boundaries of MWC.

Default Re: Actual City?

i bet if the del city controlled the south side of SE 44th then those nasty apartments would be vacant and waiting to be torn down, and all the gang-bangers would be terrorizing some other part of town....maybe the 7-11 at Sooner would stop getting robbed all the time...

7. Default Re: Actual City?

Quote Originally Posted by easternobserver View Post
    i bet if the del city controlled the south side of SE 44th then those nasty apartments would be vacant and waiting to be torn down, and all the gang-bangers would be terrorizing some other part of town....maybe the 7-11 at Sooner would stop getting robbed all the time...
    I love your joke about the 7-11 being robbed.

Sunnyview Apt is not nasty. It's the most maintained place in the area.

I've been in that 7-11 many times when thug-life apartment dwellers have openly walked out with merchandise. The clerks wont stop them for fear of getting shot.

9. Default Re: Actual City?

I have been in there many times. No excuse targeting the store the way you are talking, especially singling them out to be "apartment dwellers." People walk out with merchandise all the time from all other stores.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    Helped me if nobody else. Some of the boundaries are not where I mistakenly thought them to be. I like being smarter than yesterday, even if it doesn't take a lot for that happen when I'm the subject being edumacated.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I love your joke about the 7-11 being robbed.

Sunnyview Apt is not nasty. It's the most maintained place in the area.
    And thats supposed to make us feel better..............not

and the 7-11.............thats so true

12. Default Re: Actual City?

I always chuckle a little when i see Del City folks make this argument..."if Del City had that land, it wouldn't be like that."
    1 - the same people that live in those homes/apts would still be there

2 - don't make a generalize statment about "those" people either. Just like ANY other area, there are good and bad people mixed together.

3 - The folks that make this statement are usually silently making the assumption that DCPD would then start patrolling the area. They wouldn't do that any more than they do any other part of DC...they would respond to calls. That might make you think it's "safer", but it's still the same people, so what would it matter? In other parts of DC people still get robbed/shot/etc, just like they do in Edmond, MWC, Yukon, etc. So don't think I'm trying to "ghetto" tag DC here.

4 - If I were you, I'd spend more time being concerned about the western border of DC just as much as the southern. DC could spread all the way to 240, and it wouldn't make that much of a difference in the city. It's a relatively small, locked island.

And since you're talking about 7-11's, think about your impression of NW OKC. Now, clear that out and check out reality. Off 122nd there is a 7-11. That store used to serve as an initiation point for gangs. Not only did they prey on the folks that worked there, but also an older member would initiate a younger one by picking a customer to have them mug...right there in the parking lot. People have been shot and killed in that parking lot as well.

Its hard to have the same thuggish people living in apartment complexes if the complexes are vacant and awaiting demolition and redevelopment...

14. Default Re: Actual City?

But that's not going to happen. There's nothing wrong with the structure, and Del City would have absolutely no grounds to condemn the property. There are far worse structures in DC that stand while these are just fine. They're going to be there 50 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    But that's not going to happen. There's nothing wrong with the structure, and Del City would have absolutely no grounds to condemn the property. There are far worse structures in DC that stand while these are just fine. They're going to be there 50 years from now.
    Why would they want to.................they still gotta deal withn the trash heap on Bryant

Did you know that the crappy apartments on Bryant and one of the crappy places on 44th are owned by the same owner? Someone in Utah....love those absentee landlords. The other crappy place on 44th is owned by the same guy who owned the Del City apartments that got shut down. Another absentee landlord. These people dont care about the towns they wreck, only about making money. There should be some way to hold them accountable....like the old sitcom episodes -- make the slumlords, and their families, live in thier properties for a month every time a violation is found.

Did YOU know the 7-11 at 44th and Bryant moved to the Del City side just so they would see a police car every now and then, and if they had a robbery, the cops would take a report IN PERSON............................

That 7-11 at Bryant seems far less scary than the one at Sooner. Suprising, given that the one at Sooner is in a pretty nice neighborhood and the one at Bryant is, well, not. Must be the renovation and the way they set the store back from the street. Wish they would remodel the store at Sooner to something similar. Also wish that 7-11 would start putting in lighted canopies like Quick Trip or On Cue. Those really seem to make the place less sketchy.

Speaking of 7-11, they actually have some pretty skanky stores all around. Watched the "undercover boss" show about 7-11, but then found out that the OK 7-11s were actually part of a different company that has the rights to use the name, but is not affiliated with the national company. That is why we dont have slurpees.

Anyway, the 7-11 at 89th and Sooner isnt bad, the one at 44th and Bryant is actually kind of nice, the one at Sooner is scary, and then there are two really crappy ones farther north, one on Reno and one on 15th Street.

On Sunday, we were out driving -- there used to be a pretty crappy 7-11 at NW Expressway I think just west of Morgan Road -- now it is a really good looking new store.

Any chance that someone could contact 7-11 and try to get them to put some improvement into the existing stores? Maybe offer some sort of reward or incentive? Tax revenue at the older stores would probably go up if they were nicer -- or maybe not if the thug lifes who buy one little cigar at a time stayed away.

20. Default Re: Actual City?

In talking about apartments, I think you'd be surprised how many apartment complexes aren't locally owned. In fact, I would bet you that out-of-staters owns more than in-staters. As long as they do what they are supposed to, it doesn't matter. You'll find good and bad people in every business.

Maybe there are good and bad in every business, but every concievable statistic shows that the farther away a property owner is, the more likely for that property to be a problem. Maybe not in every case, but the trends are clear.

22. Default Re: Actual City?

The 7-11 on 44th and Sooner are not scary, ever.

The apartment on Bryant, near 29th, is pretty decent. They recently remodeled the exteriors and new roof. Enough said.

Back to the 7-11, they could relocate across the street to the OKC corner, plenty of land there. Just depends how smart the bosses are aware of available land to relocate.

23. Default Re: Actual City?

I grew up at 10th and Air Depot on the good side (Rolling Heights neighborhood, SW side of street) and still til this day, anytime I do go to the 7-11 at 10th and Air Depot, I never see any crime that is always spoken about. Sure I know MWC has its issues, but I guess my neighborhood has done a good job at keeping it out.

so, why do you think that ghetto villa on Bryant is the best...............

The cops here call that hell hole the OK corral....................even the cops dont go in there by them selves................the fire department refuses to go on medical or fire calls without the police.................that place needs to be

25. Default Re: Actual City?

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    so, why do you think that ghetto villa on Bryant is the best...............

The cops here call that hell hole the OK corral....................even the cops dont go in there by them selves................the fire department refuses to go on medical or fire calls without the police.................that place needs to be
    Really? <sarcasm> I very seriously doubt that. I've known people that lived there and it's not nearly as bas as you are making it out to be. There are bad apples there, yes, but don't claim the whole place as ghetto. And to say that someone won't respond to a call at a location is totally, 100%, completely inaccurate. Even in the worst parts of town, you won't find people bothering responders....especially fire/medical responders. A polic officer might get harrased, but that happens everywhere. That goes with enforcing the laws.

Thread Information