Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New "Central Market" Style GC at NW 178th & Penn

Default New "Central Market" Style GC at NW 178th & Penn

I heard an interesting rumor today from my mother-in-law. She has a friend whose husband is a manager of one of the local Homeland Stores, either the one along NW 122nd and May or Britton and May (MIL didn't remember).

According to this person, Homeland has purchased property around NW 178th & Pennsylvania and will be putting in a PREMIUM grocery there, along the lines of a Central Market.

I don't know which parcel they are talking about - my guess is it is on the NW quadrant, across Pennsylvania from LifeChurch, since that's really the only tract available large enough to accommodate a grocery.

Anyone else hearing rumors of this nature? Steve, what do your little birdies tell you?

Default Re: New "Central Market" Style GC at NW 178th & Penn

When Whole Foods came to St. Louis and was immediately very popular, what we saw was that the other "regular" grocery store chains began dramatically improving their offerings to compete. Obviously if this does happen, it's been in the works for awhile, but it could be that the grocers in OKC finally see an untapped market. That's good. A little competition improves everyone's game.

I live in the immediate area so that would be fantastic if it's true. The county assessor website doesn't show any land owned by Homeland in the available parcels but I did see that CVS owns the southeast corner of 178th & Penn.

I wonder what people thought when HEB tried out their Central Market concept.

"HEB? Hmm..not quite Whole Foods. Yeah I dunno bout that one."

The property could be under a development company name, maybe a build to suit or turnkey situation. The sale might also not be registered with the county yet or updated on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The property could be under a development company name, maybe a build to suit or turnkey situation. The sale might also not be registered with the county yet or updated on the website.
    FWIW, Homeland has a mixture of stores, some in corporate owned property and some via leased property.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    When Whole Foods came to St. Louis and was immediately very popular, what we saw was that the other "regular" grocery store chains began dramatically improving their offerings to compete. Obviously if this does happen, it's been in the works for awhile, but it could be that the grocers in OKC finally see an untapped market. That's good. A little competition improves everyone's game.
    Saw the same thing in New Orleans area. New Orleans always had a small Whole Foods on Esplanade since the 80s (I think it was the first WF store outside of Texas). Once they opened a couple of larger store the local chains started to get much better. Homeland and Buy 4 Less are shockingly bad compared to the Louisiana chain Rouse's. Could this be compared to the so-called "Southwest Airlines Effect"?

8. Default Re: New "Central Market" Style GC at NW 178th & Penn

Interesting... Can Homeland pull it off?

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    I heard an interesting rumor today from my mother-in-law. She has a friend whose husband is a manager of one of the local Homeland Stores, either the one along NW 122nd and May or Britton and May (MIL didn't remember).

According to this person, Homeland has purchased property around NW 178th & Pennsylvania and will be putting in a PREMIUM grocery there, along the lines of a Central Market.

I don't know which parcel they are talking about - my guess is it is on the NW quadrant, across Pennsylvania from LifeChurch, since that's really the only tract available large enough to accommodate a grocery.

Anyone else hearing rumors of this nature? Steve, what do your little birdies tell you?
    That would be good news. Two things, what is a GC? and Steve is a downtown beat writer, not suburban OKC, although he might have heard something.

jclick Guest

The NE corner is obviously out, as it's the Lifechurch.tv-OKC campus.

I work with the developer of the SW corner and he hasn't mentioned it...and probably would have if it was there.

I had a friend contact me a couple of years ago doing due diligence for a drug store chain looking to build on the SE corner, but it has yet to materialize...although I did notice a new pin survey on that parcel that was done in the last few weeks. Perhaps it's there.

No activity that I'm aware of on the NW corner.

11. Default Re: New "Central Market" Style GC at NW 178th & Penn

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    That would be good news. Two things, what is a GC? and Steve is a downtown beat writer, not suburban OKC, although he might have heard something.
    Metro,

1. Who referenced "GC" and where?

2. Steve is a Business Journalist for The Oklahoman. For example:
    NewsOK: Whole Foods will open a store in Oklahoma City ...Is that specifically a "downtown" story?

You're such a s-t-i-c-k-l-e-r.

Forget the GC thing. I see it was in the subject title.

GC = grocery store - I was trying to abbreviate in the subject line (too much time spent on twitter)

metro, do you really think me that stupid?

I am very well aware of Steve's position. I also know that for reasons not necessarily related to his downtown beat, he may very well have an interest in this particular project, which is why I asked whether he had heard anything about it. If nothing else, there may be some other staff at the Oklahoman to whom he could inquire.

Mike, GC is mentioned in the title of the thread. Yes I know Steve is a business writer, but his focus is on DT and Main Street. Do you honestly think he was going to pass up a scoop such as Whole Foods which has been highly rumored for years now??? Susan Simpson or Richard Mize who write more Business Real Estate stories could have easily done the story if they cared or actually used OKCTalk and Twitter. (not watering down the scoop for Steve, just making a point).

14. Default Re: New "Central Market" Style GC at NW 178th & Penn

Mike, GC is mentioned in the title of the thread. Yes I know Steve is a business writer, but his focus is on DT and Main Street. Do you honestly think he was going to pass up a scoop such as Whole Foods which has been highly rumored for years now??? Susan Simpson or Richard Mize who write more Business Real Estate stories could have easily done the story if they cared or actually used OKCTalk and Twitter. (not watering down the scoop for Steve, just making a point).
    Yes, Metro, I edited my post when I realized it was in the subject title. Thank you. So, Steve is the downtown beat reporter UNLESS he just can't pass up a big scoop? Is that what you're saying? Just chill. And before you say anything, yes, I know Steve's "beat" is downtown, but give Steve some credit for maybe knowing about more than several square city blocks. Jeeeezzzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

Yep. And now I actually prefer Central Market and wish we had one here in OKC.

I hope Homeland does go through with a "premium" concept market. I'd certainly give it a try.

Really I hope that Whole Foods coming to town causes some of our grocers to clean up their acts.

Homeland Stores (HomelandStores) on Twitter Someone hit them up on twitter and investigate this latest rumor. Metro, you tweet don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

Interesting thought, but Homeland has never been near as good of a grocer as HEB, so I don't have the highest hopes for their "premium" concept.

18. Default Re: New "Central Market" Style GC at NW 178th & Penn

Haven't heard this one. We'll look into it.

Not to change the subject but isn't Crest's new store at SW 104th and Penn going to be an upscale "fresh market" concept? I would have better hopes for them...their regular stores as it stands now are better than anything Homeland has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Not to change the subject but isn't Crest's new store at SW 104th and Penn going to be an upscale "fresh market" concept? I would have better hopes for them...their regular stores as it stands now are better than anything Homeland has to offer.
    SW 104h and May.

21. Default Re: New "Central Market" Style GC at NW 178th & Penn

I suspect there's a growing realization that the Oklahoma City market demands more options than Walmart, Target and Homeland.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    I prefer Central Market over Whole Foods, of course the Westgate Central Market is closer and not having to deal with downtown parking and the crowd at WF is a bonus. I only live about 4 miles south of Downtown Austin so it isn't that long of a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Interesting thought, but Homeland has never been near as good of a grocer as HEB, so I don't have the highest hopes for their "premium" concept.
    I know my dad wishes they would expand up there after being to the stores here.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post

I hope Homeland does go through with a "premium" concept market. I'd certainly give it a try.

Really I hope that Whole Foods coming to town causes some of our grocers to clean up their acts.
    Me too. I love the idea of Central Market. You get the great organics and high quality food of Whole Foods, and you can still get a a jar of Pace Picante Sauce at a good price. I would just be thrilled if there was something as good here as a regular HEB. Crest is as close as it gets, and that ain't very close.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Not to change the subject but isn't Crest's new store at SW 104th and May going to be an upscale "fresh market" concept? I would have better hopes for them...their regular stores as it stands now are better than anything Homeland has to offer.
    I think it is going to be rather interesting as far as how Homeland is going to handle the new competition from Crest.

The Homeland at 104th and Penn is Homeland's flagship store. They always show that in their commericals and it was Homeland's first real attempt at a full scale grocery store. When they first opened the store had a restraunt inside the deli area. Today they are probably the best place to shop southside. They have a full scale deli and bakery, a fresh seafood and fresh cut meat counter. Lastly, they carry everything just about everything you would need grocery wise no section is skimped back like Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. The only downside is that their prices are a little higher than most OKC grocery stores.

I thought Homeland's flagship store is now the one that took over the former Albertson's at May & Britton?

Thread Information