Widgets Magazine
Page 41 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1789

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: University Town Center

Hudiburg Subaru is now under construction.

Norman Development FB page is reporting that Moore Norman Technology Center has purchased 25 acres from UNP.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...86005&sfnsn=mo

Nice! What all will this be part of development entail? I mean possible corporate tenants?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Nice! What all will this be part of development entail? I mean possible corporate tenants?
    Probably none. This is likely a relocation of an existing MNTC campus to UNP, from the outside looking in. The whole UNP development has been a disaster, unfortunately. City Council had a chance to help it with the new arena. But no, that would have been too good for Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I believe it will be a campus for the Moore Norman Technology Center (vo-tech).

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Probably none. This is likely a relocation of an existing MNTC campus to UNP, from the outside looking in. The whole UNP development has been a disaster, unfortunately. City Council had a chance to help it with the new arena. But no, that would have been too good for Norman.
    As far as a new arena. The citizens have been vocal about no more TIF funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    As far as a new arena. The citizens have been vocal about no more TIF funding.
    More proof Norman does not know what it needs or wants. It is sad, really. they were sold a false bill of goods with UNP, so I get their disgust. But the arena would have helped a ton there, and that ruined goodwill cost Norman for a long time. A technology center won't help anyone by being located there, in my opinion. But it is better than a vacant lot, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    More proof Norman does not know what it needs or wants. It is sad, really. they were sold a false bill of goods with UNP, so I get their disgust. But the arena would have helped a ton there, and that ruined goodwill cost Norman for a long time. A technology center won't help anyone by being located there, in my opinion. But it is better than a vacant lot, I suppose.
    As a Normanite, I agree with the sentiment. Sure it would be nice to have a new arena, but I don't trust any leadership in the area to fulfill what they propose. Started with the upscale UNP development that is anchored by Target and some car dealerships. Exciting upscale gets for us. And then Norman Forward that promised a complete overhaul of soccer fields, new baseball/softball fields, youth sports complex, etc. And now they need another $140M to complete it? That seems like some excessive cost over-runs.

The arena not getting built here is best thing that could have happened for OU and Norman.

Ive never understood why someone would want to move basketball so far off campus and put it next to an Office Depot and Dress Barn with parking lot views. the location of a university basketball venue should not be located in an area with the atmosphere of an interstate truck stop. IMO everyone involved dodged a bullet. No reason to continue to throw good money after bad.

"new urbanist community" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    The arena not getting built here is best thing that could have happened for OU and Norman.

Ive never understood why someone would want to move basketball so far off campus and put it next to an Office Depot and Dress Barn with parking lot views. the location of a university basketball venue should not be located in an area with the atmosphere of an interstate truck stop. IMO everyone involved dodged a bullet. No reason to continue to throw good money after bad.
    As an alum and season BB ticket holder I agree. Akin to putting lipstick on a pig.
    As a voter I share in the sentiments of many residents that TIFS are not a good deal for the taxpayers or schools.

Blog Entries

So basically you never saw the plans, because if you did you are purposely misleading with your description of the setting. I’d rather think you just don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjank View Post
    As a Normanite, I agree with the sentiment. Sure it would be nice to have a new arena, but I don't trust any leadership in the area to fulfill what they propose. Started with the upscale UNP development that is anchored by Target and some car dealerships. Exciting upscale gets for us. And then Norman Forward that promised a complete overhaul of soccer fields, new baseball/softball fields, youth sports complex, etc. And now they need another $140M to complete it? That seems like some excessive cost over-runs.
    Not 140M. 85.6 M with the Trae Young Foundation kicking in another 4M.

Norman bond propositions enter crowded landscape
    https://nondoc.com/2020/08/07/norman...ded-landscape/

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So basically you never saw the plans, because if you did you are purposely misleading with your description of the setting. I’d rather think you just don’t know.
    Yes I saw the plans. It was sold as a fancy dressed up strip mall and big box retail next to an interstate . It ended up being a regular strip mall and big box retail next to an interstate. Either way it was never an appropriate spot for a major university to play home basketball games.

It’s funny how people always get duped by these proposed “lifestyle centers.” They promised a new oasis that will let people live in a walkable area next to retail, bars, restaurants, and OU basketball. Like that place hasn’t already existed In Norman for 100 years. Then they build a dress barn on a curvy road with taxpayer money lol.

Blog Entries

Yes I saw the plans. It was sold as a fancy dressed up strip mall and big box retail next to an interstate . It ended up being a regular strip mall and big box retail next to an interstate. Either way it was never an appropriate spot for a major university to play home basketball games.

It’s funny how people always get duped by these proposed “lifestyle centers.” They promised a new oasis that will let people live in a walkable area next to retail, bars, restaurants, and OU basketball. Like that place hasn’t already existed In Norman for 100 years. Then they build a dress barn on a curvy road with taxpayer money lol.
    So you did see it and purposely spin it incorrectly. I had given the benefit of the doubt.

Having an entertainment and dining center surrounding the venue is a good idea. Having it in the middle of a sterile parking lot is not. Moving it to a more accessible and visible area is a good idea too.

Corporate Centre was an ambitious office park consisting of 6 Class A office buildings that never got off the ground. It was first introduced back in 2008, and was supposed to be the cornerstone of University Town Center. Well looks lke this isn't going to happen.

So you did see it and purposely spin it incorrectly. I had given the benefit of the doubt.

Having an entertainment and dining center surrounding the venue is a good idea. Having it in the middle of a sterile parking lot is not. Moving it to a more accessible and visible area is a good idea too.
    If OU is going to do anything they should rebuild or remodel McCasland Field House. It is a close proximity to an organic entertainment/ dining center and it doesn’t get “more accessible” than walking distance for thousands of university students. Off campus sports facilities went out of style in the 80s when everyone realized it was generally a terrible Idea.

This development was always going to be garbage from day one.

Blog Entries

If OU is going to do anything they should rebuild or remodel McCasland Field House. It is a close proximity to an organic entertainment/ dining center and it doesn’t get “more accessible” than walking distance for thousands of university students. Off campus sports facilities went out of style in the 80s when everyone realized it was generally a terrible Idea.

This development was always going to be garbage from day one.
    There’s no way McCasland could ever work as a modern basketball facility. That’s an old timers dream.

Maybe if there were sites near campus corner, which is actually a ways from student housing too

There’s no way McCasland could ever work as a modern basketball facility. That’s an old timers dream.

Maybe if there were sites near campus corner, which is actually a ways from student housing too
    They figured out how to do it 90 miles north of Norman.

Blog Entries

They figured out how to do it 90 miles north of Norman.
    And it’s about the only game in town on a weeknight in Stillwater, but still, even then they haven’t been anywhere near filling it for the last decade. Entertainment is a lot more competitive and developed than it was and you need more to draw live crowds. It isn’t about whether you Can technically add seats to an outdated building, but can you add expected amenities to the building and the area that are now necessary to draw people. And btw, students just aren’t going as much .... not the same rah rah school mentality as in the 50s.

Here is one rendering from 2017. I'm sure this was far from the final plans, but ideas for what could be. I have no opinion about this topic, just thought you might enjoy what was considered at one time...OU BB idea.jpg

And it’s about the only game in town on a weeknight in Stillwater, but still, even then they haven’t been anywhere near filling it for the last decade. Entertainment is a lot more competitive and developed than it was and you need more to draw live crowds. It isn’t about whether you Can technically add seats to an outdated building, but can you add expected amenities to the building and the area that are now necessary to draw people. And btw, students just aren’t going as much .... not the same rah rah school mentality as in the 50s.
    University North Park doesn’t have the amenities to draw anyone there. It has all of the ambiance of i40 and MacArthur with less chain restaurants to chose from. Unless I could get free tickets with 4 new tires at discount tire or something. OU is a beautiful setting, campus corner has a lot to offer. Not sure why people are trying to reinvent the wheel. The lifestyle center has already been built. If students aren’t showing up, moving the venue 5 miles away from campus next to an old navy isn’t going to do student attendance any favors.

I don't know of any amenities around the football stadium. Tailgating has been discouraged, O'Connels was taken away. Should that be relocated also?

HangryHippo Guest

Random aside since you mentioned tailgating - what they’ve done to tailgating along Lindsey St. at GFOMS is tragic.

Thread Information