Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 40 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 984
  1. #1

    Default University Town Center

    Ok, so I went straight to the source and emailed Maureen Hammond, who is the Director of Operations for the Norman Economic Development Coalition, on the status of University North Park, and this was her response:

    NEDC plans to move forward with Phase I development of UNP Corporate Centre this summer. The City of Norman can provide you with an update on Legacy Park and the lifestyle center. Their main number is 321-1600. I hope this helps.

  2. #2

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Ok, so I went straight to the source and emailed Maureen Hammond, who is the Director of Operations for the Norman Economic Development Coalition, on the status of University North Park, and this was her response:

    NEDC plans to move forward with Phase I development of UNP Corporate Centre this summer. The City of Norman can provide you with an update on Legacy Park and the lifestyle center. Their main number is 321-1600. I hope this helps.
    What did they say about Legacy Park and the lifestyle center when you talked to them?

  3. #3

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    They didn't say anything about the Legacy Park or Lifestyle Center, I suppose its on hold, due to budget issues with the City of Norman. The reason why the corporate campus is moving forward is because the Norman Economic Development Coalition has big demand for the office spaces, and NEDC is doing the construction.

  4. #4

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    so what about this movie theatre thats also suppose ot be in university park or was that scrapped also?

  5. #5

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by kwash View Post
    so what about this movie theater thats also suppose ot be in university park or was that scrapped also?
    There was never a movie theater planned for N. Park.

  6. #6

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    There was a movie theater planned for the UNP in the Lifestyle Center, in conjunction with an open air shopping mall. Nothing has been scrapped, just on hold.

  7. #7

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    so when do you think they will finally start on this open air mall/lifestyle center and movie theatre project, because norman needs a theatre badly.

  8. #8

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by kwash View Post
    so when do you think they will finally start on this open air mall/lifestyle center and movie theatre project, because norman needs a theatre badly.
    I really don't believe they will start Corporate Centre, Legacy Park, and LifeStyle Center at the same time. Since phase 1 of Corporate Centre breaks ground this summer, I wouldn't expect Legacy Park, and Lifestyle Center to break ground until next year, more likely Spring/Summer 2011, but I do expect for Legacy Park and LifeStyle Center to be done simultaneously.

  9. #9

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Does anyone know if Phase 1 of Corporate Centre includes six buildings, or is the photo on the Norman Economic Development website a master plan?

  10. #10

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by twade View Post
    Does anyone know if Phase 1 of Corporate Centre includes six buildings, or is the photo on the Norman Economic Development website a master plan?
    Yes, Phase 1 includes six buildings

  11. #11

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    There was never a movie theater planned for N. Park.
    I've got a pdf from Sooner Investments/Colleit Assoc. that says differerent about the theater.

  12. #12

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    I think it is planned to be an upscale type indepent movies theatre.

  13. #13

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    I wish, but I won't hold my breath. My understanding is that they would shoot for any kind of theater they could land.

    Legacy Park is on hold. The City of Norman is moving forward with other park projects and those are ahead of Legacy at the moment.

  14. #14

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Does anyone know what happened at the last TIF oversight meeting? I was under the impression that it was held April 20th?

    The Transcript hasn't had any reporting on it, and the Norman official website seems to run months behind.

    I thought all of the estimates and bids expired April 10th. It seems that both the developer and OU are out of money? I remember the mayor saying that it wasn't a problem, the deadlines would be met, no-one would be let out of any obligations.

    Nothing has been reported since the election that I can find. All I have seen is the letter this weekend from Mr. Holyfield discussing the meeting. The situation appears dire. When are they planning on telling people what is happening? Does anyone know what is happening?

  15. #15

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Yeah, I'll admit I'm a bit out of the loop (maybe thats how the local paper wants it) , but I'll say I have to agree with the general sentiment in the following Op-Ed that Mr T referenced. The last time i visited the area was to eat in April at the Pei Wei, whose quality has gone downfill since first opening.

    I still remember the discussion of the high quality development, etc, etc. that this TIF would bring. the city seems to have been jived talked on this one, by OU and the developer, not to mention the wallop of the national economy doing its fair share. I'd like to know whats really going on...

    I still dont understand why the city traded ownership of the convention center attached to the Embassy Suites for the bridge to Brookhaven - that might actually be a good deal for the city in the long run if the district doesnt fully develop and the Embassy Suites gets stuck with an underutilized convention center. But i'm still not convinced construction of the bridge was necessary. anyway...

    May 22, 2010
    City should cut its losses on TIF

    NORMAN — Editor, The Transcript:

    At the most recent University Park (UNP) TIF Oversight Committee meeting some members expressed concern and frustration over the status of the TIF and agreement with the developer. It appears that the developer has not met the terms and conditions of all his obligations as provided in the TIF agreement.

    The public was told that this would be a spectacular development with high end retailers that would draw consumers from Dallas to Kansas City. What we have is a strip mall that has for the most part retailers in many other parts of the city that duplicate products sold on the TIF.

    The major difference in the retail sales is that only a portion of the sales tax (40 percent) generated at the TIF goes into the City’s general fund. The retailers outside of the TIF who played by the rules and paid for their own infrastructure are having customers siphoned off from their respective business. In addition, they are subsidizing their competition with their own tax dollars. These are tax funds being diverted to the TIF that should be going to the general fund to pay employee salaries and maintain the city's essential services.

    With the city’s employees facing loss of jobs because of the alleged budget crises, there is no reason why the City should not cut its losses and end its partnership with the developer. The City would begin to receive available tax revenues at the UNP. The public should insist the City Council do so now.

    Don Holyfield

    Norman

  16. #16

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Thanks for linking the letter! I really need to write down how to do that!

    Mr. Holyfield is correct - those stores are cannibalizing, not adding value. We already had a pet store and an office store and stores that sell failed clothing lines. We certainly had more than enough stores selling cheap plastic shoes from China. The petroleum smell in the sports store is enough to knock you over. I've noticed, the few times I have been dragged in there, that the employees all cough.

    All of the original stores of this nature, whether I enjoy them or not, paid their own way. If I were them I would be seriously angry.

    Vital tax money is wasted while faithful City employees lose their jobs and benefits. Employees blame the City, city council blamed the newspaper, and the newspaper blamed the employees for not figuring it out themselves.

    I would dearly love to know why Henry Baskeyfield removed the endorsement from Hal Ezell. What was he promised?

  17. #17

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post

    I would dearly love to know why Henry Baskeyfield removed the endorsement from Hal Ezell. What was he promised?
    That's a very good question. I've heard a lot of people recently express regret at the outcome of that election for precisely some of the reasons discussed here about the TIF. I think Hollyfields letter hits the nail on the head.

  18. #18

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Yeah, I'll admit I'm a bit out of the loop (maybe thats how the local paper wants it) , but I'll say I have to agree with the general sentiment in the following Op-Ed that Mr T referenced. The last time i visited the area was to eat in April at the Pei Wei, whose quality has gone downfill since first opening.

    I still remember the discussion of the high quality development, etc, etc. that this TIF would bring. the city seems to have been jived talked on this one, by OU and the developer, not to mention the wallop of the national economy doing its fair share. I'd like to know whats really going on...

    I still dont understand why the city traded ownership of the convention center attached to the Embassy Suites for the bridge to Brookhaven - that might actually be a good deal for the city in the long run if the district doesnt fully develop and the Embassy Suites gets stuck with an underutilized convention center. But i'm still not convinced construction of the bridge was necessary. anyway...

    May 22, 2010
    City should cut its losses on TIF

    NORMAN — Editor, The Transcript:

    At the most recent University Park (UNP) TIF Oversight Committee meeting some members expressed concern and frustration over the status of the TIF and agreement with the developer. It appears that the developer has not met the terms and conditions of all his obligations as provided in the TIF agreement.

    The public was told that this would be a spectacular development with high end retailers that would draw consumers from Dallas to Kansas City. What we have is a strip mall that has for the most part retailers in many other parts of the city that duplicate products sold on the TIF.

    The major difference in the retail sales is that only a portion of the sales tax (40 percent) generated at the TIF goes into the City’s general fund. The retailers outside of the TIF who played by the rules and paid for their own infrastructure are having customers siphoned off from their respective business. In addition, they are subsidizing their competition with their own tax dollars. These are tax funds being diverted to the TIF that should be going to the general fund to pay employee salaries and maintain the city's essential services.

    With the city’s employees facing loss of jobs because of the alleged budget crises, there is no reason why the City should not cut its losses and end its partnership with the developer. The City would begin to receive available tax revenues at the UNP. The public should insist the City Council do so now.

    Don Holyfield

    Norman
    Mr. Holyfield is spot-on. These developers need to be held to what they originally said they would do, or have their TIF revoked. If having their TIF revoked doesn't make them act, then they need to lose the land. That goes for Sooner Investments or whatever the hell company is the developer, AND for OU.

  19. #19

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Now there is a huge rumor of hollywood theatres being completly renovated in september, so i guess that officially means the theatre in UNP has been scrapped. I was even told that UNP put a bid on The Warren back before they settled on moore, but lost the bid obviosuly. So now most norman movie goers spend their money in moore, because look at that parking lot over at hollywood and its empty even on weekends.

  20. #20

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by kwash View Post
    Now there is a huge rumor of hollywood theatres being completly renovated in september, so i guess that officially means the theatre in UNP has been scrapped. I was even told that UNP put a bid on The Warren back before they settled on moore, but lost the bid obviosuly. So now most norman movie goers spend their money in moore, because look at that parking lot over at hollywood and its empty even on weekends.
    I live in Norman, and I don't think its bad at all to have Warren in Moore, we can't have everything, and I don't mind driving a couple miles up the road for a nice movie theater like The Warren. I know people who drive from OKC and Midwest City to go to The Warren, its just a major attraction, and people would go there, whereever it was located.

  21. #21

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I live in Norman, and I don't think its bad at all to have Warren in Moore, we can't have everything, and I don't mind driving a couple miles up the road for a nice movie theater like The Warren. I know people who drive from OKC and Midwest City to go to The Warren, its just a major attraction, and people would go there, whereever it was located.
    It's true we lost the bid, partly because our city leaders were very, uh, unaccommodating with Warren business group. While I understand what you're saying, G., it is also undeniable we're losing a lot of business and sale tax dollars to Moore. The Fort Thunder Harley Davidson shop next door to the Warren was also going to come to Norman (they were going wherever Warren went), so we lost that too.

    Our city leaders should be more receptive (reasonably, of course) to such businesses in the future, but this one is done and we lost. Let's look forward to getting the next big one looking to move to town.

    If the Hollywood is renovated, that would be great news because it's dearly needs it. I would consider going back. Perhaps they'll add an IMAX--that would really help them compete with Warren.

  22. #22

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    It's true we lost the bid, partly because our city leaders were very, uh, unaccommodating with Warren business group. While I understand what you're saying, G., it is also undeniable we're losing a lot of business and sale tax dollars to Moore. The Fort Thunder Harley Davidson shop next door to the Warren was also going to come to Norman (they were going wherever Warren went), so we lost that too.

    Our city leaders should be more receptive (reasonably, of course) to such businesses in the future, but this one is done and we lost. Let's look forward to getting the next big one looking to move to town.

    If the Hollywood is renovated, that would be great news because it's dearly needs it. I would consider going back. Perhaps they'll add an IMAX--that would really help them compete with Warren.
    I can tell you as a former Ft. Thunder Employee, this statement is 100% false, Norman was never considered when Bryan's/Ft. Thunder was looking for the right place to build their new store. You need a new source for you information.

  23. #23

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Well, glad to hear it from you. But my source was the Norman City Council--they've spoken about this several times. So either you're wrong or they were badly misinformed about Ft. Thunder. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was them who were misinformed.

  24. #24

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Well keep in mind that Norman is not exactly the most pro-development city in the world in the first place.

  25. #25

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    The fact that the developer said the center will draw people from Kansas City and Dallas should have been a red flag. Like Dallas and KC folks need to come to Norman to shop, even if upscale retailers did locate in UNP.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. North Park Mall
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 11:08 PM
  2. University North Park Updates
    By dismayed in forum Suburban & Other OK Communities
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 06:48 PM
  3. Couch Park update!
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 09:23 AM
  4. Construction to begin on Stiles Park monument
    By Luke in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 12:56 AM
  5. OKC opens new park in 20 years
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 03:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO