Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 12345678954 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

1. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Read that in the paper this morning...looks like the buyout amount Hollywood wanted for the theater was insane. Which stinks because that place is a dump and they haven't done much to it for years. So a negative for Norman since tax dollars are going to Moore anyway and it likely won't stop. I guess the best hope for a new theater would be a tornado, fire, or Hollywood going bankrupt. LOL

Here is the development they are wanting to model the town center section after: http://www.birkdalevillage.net/

Which if we get something that looks like that, I'm perfectly good with.

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=...e&ved=0CAUQ_BI

It still has a lifestyle center feel to it, based on the ones I've been to. The store front/street parking that stores want can work like they have there. It is basically a typical downtown/uptown area with parallel parking in front of the stores with the main parking lots set off behind the stores. So I'm not entirely upset at all using Birkdale Village as a model.

At the end of the day though, if they follow through with that they are going to cause a lot of competition with General Growth's Sooner Mall. If they were smart, I would be talking with GGP about some joint working in developing UNP - moving stores over - and then redevelop Sooner Mall's area as a business park.

Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Here is the development they are wanting to model the town center section after: http://www.birkdalevillage.net/

Which if we get something that looks like that, I'm perfectly good with.
    That development is okay, but it isn't great. It does offer the chance to park once and walk from store to store, but no one is going to walk to the shopping center except for those that live on-site. Now if they built 10 of those side by side they might have something.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    That development is okay, but it isn't great. It does offer the chance to park once and walk from store to store, but no one is going to walk to the shopping center except for those that live on-site. Now if they built 10 of those side by side they might have something.
    I doubt it will be like Birkdale Village, Frank Goppold's work in centered around a more suburban, not urban feel, http://goppoldarchitecture.com/. He said it will be have a "village" feel, and as high as two stories on each side.

See: http://goppoldarchitecture.com/project-03.html#

Nonetheless, its a good addition to the area, and that its finally moving forward.

You know G.Walker, I am amazed at how developers try to portray the image of traditional neighborhood development with the project names they select and how they market the project, but then build auto-dependent suburban style projects. Is there any larger an oxymoron than calling something a Town Center when 90% of the land is dedicated to parking and the only jobs are retail and hospitality. What a joke.

Norman should have focused all this effort on downtown Norman where they didn't need to build all the infrastructre, had existing businesses ready to move in, and lots of people near by who could get there without having to drive a car. With the money saved they could have put in a starter streetcar system. Opportunity missed.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Interesting to note that other pictures are under the "on the boards" link, as well as upcoming projects in OKC and Edmond called Valencia Center and Bridges at Spring Creek, respectively.

7. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I doubt it will be like Birkdale Village, Frank Goppold's work in centered around a more suburban, not urban feel, http://goppoldarchitecture.com/. He said it will be have a "village" feel, and as high as two stories on each side.
    Eh, just going off of what he actually told the committee based on the Transcript article. Of course if he actually follows through is a totally different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Norman should have focused all this effort on downtown Norman where they didn't need to build all the infrastructre, had existing businesses ready to move in, and lots of people near by who could get there without having to drive a car. With the money saved they could have put in a starter streetcar system. Opportunity missed.
    The UNP "town center" appears to be mostly national chains some of which may relocate from Sooner Mall. It wpn't be a high end shopping center, and has been majorly scaled back from what was originally proposed. Still potential for an even better development in downtown Norman/Campus Corner with high end national anchors and lots of local stores which is better anyway. Main from Flood to University is absolutely ripe for such a mixed-use development.

5 guys is now open

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The UNP "town center" appears to be mostly national chains some of which may relocate from Sooner Mall. It wpn't be a high end shopping center, and has been majorly scaled back from what was originally proposed. Still potential for an even better development in downtown Norman/Campus Corner with high end national anchors and lots of local stores which is better anyway. Main from Flood to University is absolutely ripe for such a mixed-use development.
    BG, just curious but do you realistically think high end retailers will come to downtown/CC? If so what are the incentives?

I would love to see that happen but I just can't see it. Call me a pessimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekoung View Post
    BG, just curious but do you realistically think high end retailers will come to downtown/CC? If so what are the incentives?

I would love to see that happen but I just can't see it. Call me a pessimist.
    Campus Corner absolutely. There are already several higher end boutiques there and would be a destination. Mix a few chains like Banana Republic and Pottery Barn with local places. Add a small movie theater, boutique hotel and loft apartments. Along University Blvd is the perfect place for such development.

Downtown is better for local but not necessarily higher end stores. As Campus Corner continues to revitalize it won't be as local as it once was (already happening) and downtown will benefit as it will primarily be local stores and restaurants.

12. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Now just need to find a developer, with money, who actually sees it the same way. Unfortunately they don't exist yet.

13. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Does anybody know what is going in the lot being cleared by target?

also is the new grocery store ever going to open?

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    Does anybody know what is going in the lot being cleared by target?

also is the new grocery store ever going to open?
    Should be announced soon that Crest Foods and Cheesecake Factory will start construction in spring.

The land being cleared near the Target is for Mathis Brothers' Mattress Store.

Also, where is the Crest Food store going in the UNP? I have not heard anything about Cheesecake Factory. What is your source and where would it be going in the UNP?

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Should be announced soon that Crest Foods and Cheesecake Factory will start construction in spring.
    Along with the SE Norman Walmart, I hope you are right about this. No source?

17. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

A mattress store there with all those restaurants seems terrible. Another place to eat would seem to make alot more sense but i guess they are taking what they can get. I sure wish they would bring that Discount Tire store back.

A mattress store there with all those restaurants seems terrible. Another place to eat would seem to make alot more sense but i guess they are taking what they can get. I sure wish they would bring that Discount Tire store back.
    ???? People who buy matresses don't eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ettie View Post
    Along with the SE Norman Walmart, I hope you are right about this. No source?
    The source works at City Hall, can't provide name for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflyer View Post
    The land being cleared near the Target is for Mathis Brothers' Mattress Store.

Also, where is the Crest Food store going in the UNP? I have not heard anything about Cheesecake Factory. What is your source and where would it be going in the UNP?
    Not sure about location at UNP for Cheesecake Factory, but Crest is planned for the N. end of UNP, closer to Tecumseh.

21. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I have heard about Crest being built near Target, I was also told or its rumored that Cabelas will be built there on UNP as well. But I will always wonder how Dollar Tree is high end retail?

I feel this whole UNP is a failure and a waste of moeny or least tax dollars by having it as a TIF, since us the employees are being told that we won't hire anymore, still have merit freezes, residents have to feel the crunch as well, but will still keep giving millions to bring in supposed high end retail for UNP.
    Never Trust Anybody Until You Know Who They Are!!!

22. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

I don't see acadamy being very happy with a cabelas going there.

23. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

I don't see acadamy being very happy with a cabelas going there.
    LOL I don't either, I have told alot of outdoor guys and hunters, and they thrilled to know that a Cabelas will be brought into Norman, since Bass Pro is expensive, I would also like to think that Acadamy will have to lower prices to compete with Cabelas on some of there outdoor stuff.

I myself would love to see a Cabelas since I haven't been able to see one to see what kind of merchandise they carry compared to Bass Pro.
    Never Trust Anybody Until You Know Who They Are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider73068 View Post
    LOL I don't either, I have told alot of outdoor guys and hunters, and they thrilled to know that a Cabelas will be brought into Norman, since Bass Pro is expensive, I would also like to think that Acadamy will have to lower prices to compete with Cabelas on some of there outdoor stuff.

I myself would love to see a Cabelas since I haven't been able to see one to see what kind of merchandise they carry compared to Bass Pro.
    You definitely need to price check, Bass Pro and Cabelas are almost identical in pricing.

25. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

I really like the look of Cabelas a lot more than Bass Pro. However like RC said, they are almost identical in pricing. Though Cabelas would be a very good draw for Norman, especially from the Southern half of the state who would stop there instead of going to Bricktown.

Thread Information