Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Oh well, at least they'll be doing something.

The office park and the HI Express were known, but yeah, it's good to see these moving forward.
    Crest, another grocery store in a sea of food stores. But at least it is a different one and not branch X of what Norman already has. Game on long-timers! Another matt store and another supplement hut in town ... oh be still my heart.

The park .. will believe it when I see frisbees fly and couples stroll. Still a skeptic I guess.

The new exit stuff .. would like to see drawings because at first blush I'm not yet a fan.

Oh, for those who don't know .. the folks at IBC are some of the nicest folk in Norman. If you're hunting a bank, drop by and say hiya to them.

the frontage road will do wonders for traffic in that area

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the frontage road will do wonders for traffic in that area
    true, just wish they could do something on the W. side of this location. (Robinson and W. interstate drive)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post

The new exit stuff .. would like to see drawings because at first blush I'm not yet a fan.
    Ramp and Frontage road plans

Anybody think something like a World Market would work at UNP?

Most definitely would.

Heck yeah it would.

World Market would be great, but I'm guessing you won't see one until the liquor laws are changed. The inability to sell wine cuts out about a 1/4 of that store's floor plan, and maybe even more in revenues (just a guess).

Quote Originally Posted by twade View Post
    World Market would be great, but I'm guessing you won't see one until the liquor laws are changed. The inability to sell wine cuts out about a 1/4 of that store's floor plan, and maybe even more in revenues (just a guess).
    so 3 weeks after never

They got stores in Kansas and they got similar liquor laws that Oklahoma's got. I think a good place for World Market would be next to Academy there at UNP.

World Market opened a store in Lubbock not too long ago and had no beer or wine section. Shortly thereafter, Lubbock County's liquor laws finally changed and World Market added the beer and wine.

Either way World Market would be a nice add to Norman and OKC metro for that matter if they come.

I've been to a store in Dallas that didn't carry any.

14. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

I'd definitely go to World Market if they opened one here. Pretty neat place, that.

Wait a minute. They're trying to put a Crest in right across the street from Super Target? Am I the only one that thinks that's a stupid idea? Also, don't we have enough grocery stores in Norman already?

Wow, I didn't realize World Market had so many stores without wine sales; thanks for the corrections. I remember seeing one in Amarillo, Tx of all places, so I thought maybe liquor laws played a part in it - thought it was strange Amarillo got one before the metro.

16. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Some more news in the Transcript today...

http://normantranscript.com/headline...or-Legacy-Park

Negotiations pave way for Legacy Park

By Joy HamptonThe Norman Transcript
    NORMAN — University North Park TIF Agreement No. 5 is close to being finalized.
    Norman City Council members were briefed on the details of the agreement Tuesday during the City Council Conference prior to the regular council meeting.
    Based on feedback from council members, city attorneys will tighten certain language regarding development requirements, but several formerly contentious points were negotiated in a compromise that serves the needs of the city and UNP developers.
    Agreement No. 5 should appear with some minor language changes on the April 24 city council agenda for approval.
    “This agreement does move the park forward and does provide funding for the park,” City Attorney Jeff Bryant said.
    Issues that needed to be resolved in order to move Legacy Park and development Agreement No. 5 forward include:
    · Donation of park land.
    · Potential penalties assessed to developers by Jan. 1, 2016, if 250,000 square foot of retail in the Village Center (formerly called the Lifestyle Center) has not transpired.
    · Parking around Legacy Park.
    · Maintenance of Legacy Park.
    · Construction funding for Legacy Park.
    Agreement No. 5 resolves those issue by delineating:
    · Donation of park land by deed and final plat.
    · A dedicated Legacy Park parking area west of Academy Sports to meet the parking needs.
    · A phased Business Improvement District to cover maintenance costs of the park.
    · Restructuring of the 2009 TIF Note (loan) to provide additional funding needed for the park’s construction.
    “This provides a funding source to move Legacy Park forward,” Bryant said of the note restructuring.
    While most of the money for the park was in place, additional money is needed. The note restructure with the OU Foundation will reduce the reserve requirements and allow the release of collateral in the form of accumulated TIF Revenues.
    In addition to donating the park land, the developer will still be required to fill the Village Center to the tune of 250,000 square feet but with a two-year extension. While no incentive will be given for bringing in Crest Foods as a flagship store, the 109,000-square-foot grocery will count as retail space against the penalty payments.
    “As business people, they’re just trying to manage their risk,” Bryant said.
    Agreement No. 3, in 2007, reversed the order of development and added the claw backs, or penalty payments, if the developer failed to meet the 250,000-square-foot retail space requirement in the Village Center by Jan. 1, 2016.
    But in 2008, the “wheels came off the economy,” Bryant said.
    Further, the developer agrees to donate an additional two acres for a cultural facility and will receive credit against the claw back penalties.
    “I think, at least, we should identify which two acres on that map we’re talking about,” Council member Carol Dillingham said.
    Bryant said a legal description will be supplied.
    Mayor Cindy Rosenthal said she wanted to be assured that the two acres wasn’t part of the detention pond.
    Concept modifications will allow parking along the front of stores in the Village Center as well as wider medians to accommodate public social activities. The original concept of a lifestyle center has shown not to be economically viable. The developer said that concept cannot be sold to retailers. The concept modifications will allow the developer to recruit quality retailers to the Village Center while making it an economically viable alternative.
    The developer will make an effort to bring an upscale, quality retail anchor store to the Village Center area.
    Joy Hampton 366-3539 jhampton@ normantranscript.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    I'd definitely go to World Market if they opened one here. Pretty neat place, that.

Wait a minute. They're trying to put a Crest in right across the street from Super Target? Am I the only one that thinks that's a stupid idea? Also, don't we have enough grocery stores in Norman already?
    They're not trying, it's a done deal, and no it's not stupid, this is an excellent location/area for a Crest Store.

So what kind of penalties are we looking at in 2016?

The deadline has been extended to 2018 Spartan.

Ah, of course it has.

Soonerman/Spartan: Yeah. I didn't see it mentioned in the Oklahoman's article, but the reason two council members voted against the Legacy Park agreement was because it pushed the timeline out two years and gave the developer relief on penalties.

ShiroiHikari: Haven't you heard, businesses in Norman that are direct competitors love to open up in one another's parking lot. See: Pei Wei/Panda Express, Matress FIRM/Mathis Sleep Center, Poblano Grill/Chuy's, and now Super Target/Crest....

Still lame that UNP doesn't have a website.

They should have thrown the book at them.

Rather than post my rant against the developer and the city for constantly caving to the big guys but enforcing against the little guys to no end, I will simply say yes I agree whole-heartedly.

Thread Information