Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Does anyone know what happened to the Jack in the Box that was planned for the area near IBC bank?

2. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Moore probally stole it like they do every UNP development.

With 5guys in the same area, they probably decided against building there. Way too much competition.

Quote Originally Posted by G22 View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the Jack in the Box that was planned for the area near IBC bank?
    It may still be a go, but I don't know. There's still a fair sized lot between IBC & the Five Guys/Zio's mini stripmall.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    Wow. When Moore is stealing your development, you have a serious problem.

I noticed there's a Pearle Vision between five guys and game stop. Anyone know if they're closing the one on 36th and Main or keeping both?

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    I noticed there's a Pearle Vision between five guys and game stop. Anyone know if they're closing the one on 36th and Main or keeping both?

Don't know. I'm by there a lot but I never saw the Pearle shop. Hmmm, maybe I oughta stop in.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Don't know. I'm by there a lot but I never saw the Pearle shop. Hmmm, maybe I oughta stop in.
    lol, nice.

In today's transcript..

NORMAN — Sales tax generated by the University North Park tax increment finance district (TIF) topped $20 million between October 2006 and October 2011. More than $3.6 million in ad valorem tax was levied in 2010 and was payable in 2011.

Taxes collected in University North Park under the TIF designation serve as a financing tool for public improvements.

Of the $20 million-plus of sales tax collected, just more than $5.4 million was transferred to the city’s general fund. Some of the University North Park businesses relocated, and that money stays with the general fund, since it likely would have been generated without the TIF.

The remaining $15.4 million has funded more than $10 million in public projects so far.

Of the ad valorem taxes collected, a little more than $1.8 million goes to Norman Public Schools (61.46 percent), with much smaller percentages going to Cleveland County, Moore-Norman Vo-Tech, Norman Public Library, the city and the Health Department — entities that normally collect ad valorem millages — which agreed to take a decreased amount in the TIF district.

The remaining $1.8 million of ad valorem taxes collected pays for public improvements in University North Park.

Using TIF money to fund public improvements serves as an economic driver for the city by attracting business to University North Park, thus bringing in new sales tax and ad valorem tax dollars.

While the pace of development slowed during the recession following the initial frenzy during the first two years of the TIF, the economy is picking up and new development continues.

“There’s quite a bit of dirt flying in North Park,” Norman Finance Director Anthony Francisco said.

Near the Embassy Suites Hotel and Conference Center, a new Holiday Inn Express has been platted and is expected to be coming soon. Packaged together, the two hotels can accommodate bigger functions than the Embassy Suites alone, officials have said.

That will allow Norman to compete for bigger conferences and other events.

Near Logan’s Roadhouse and Cheddars, a Mathis Brothers Lady Americana “high-end mattress store” is coming to the UNP, and Valliance Bank with a unique architectural design, is slated for the strip near 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, Francisco reported.

To the north, city officials are expecting a steak house and a Starbucks. On the east end, a large grocery store is anticipated.

“They’re in final negotiations on a Crest Food Store,” Francisco said. “With the exception of the Village Center, we’re getting filled up.”

In addition, the Norman Economic Development Coalition has purchased around 30 acres and may purchase another 30 to 40 acres for an “airline-related business,” Francisco said.

Joy Hampton 366-3539 jhampton@ normantranscript.com

10. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

How long are they going to negotiate on that Crest. Is it taking so long becuase Moore is in the background offering them more and more Cash?

I wonder if the Steakhouse is going to be Texas Roadhouse?

12. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

How long are they going to negotiate on that Crest. Is it taking so long becuase Moore is in the background offering them more and more Cash?
    It'll happen the same time the mystical Lowe's on Hwy 9 does. :-)

What is being built on the northwest side of target. Like close to i-35. I saw some dirt work going on in the area. Basically between Target and the Pei-Wei area.

Quote Originally Posted by okcfollower View Post
    What is being built on the northwest side of target. Like close to i-35. I saw some dirt work going on in the area. Basically between Target and the Pei-Wei area.
    Probably another fast food place, nothing to get your hopes up about, I wouldn't be surprised if its Jack In The Box...

Wow... that is funny. If Norman was the best site then the retailer would build in Norman. Moore may just be the better choice! Maybe Moore is easier to work with?

It's going to be the Mathis Brothers store.

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    It's going to be the Mathis Brothers store.
    Mathis Bros. is SE of Target.

The construction behind Target (i.e. NW of Target) is likely Discount Tire.

The dirtwork looked to be the right size for the long-rumored Discount Tire. That would be my guess..

20. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

I am crossing my fingers that it will be a discount tire.

I can't see how moore would be a better location the UNP al thing being equal. The movie theater would have been a much better fit at UNP.

21. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

I could see some companies thinking that it being an easier pull from OKC in Moore than Norman. I think Warren probably favored Moore over Norman based on that and also the fact that Norman would still have a theater a sort drive away. No question the Warren would have been a better fit at UNP and would have really helped to tie things together by bringing in a lot of foot traffic to help smaller stores to setup.

I am crossing my fingers that it will be a discount tire.

I can't see how moore would be a better location the UNP al thing being equal. The movie theater would have been a much better fit at UNP.
    good one.

Quote Originally Posted by twade View Post
    The dirtwork looked to be the right size for the long-rumored Discount Tire. That would be my guess..
    This is most definitely the upscale development we've all been waiting for!

24. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by bbhill View Post
    This is most definitely the upscale development we've all been waiting for!
    It is obviously the developer not being held to the standard Norman voters expected. I've been to parts of the country that are deep in the recession still, yet they are building very successful lifestyle/community/village/whatever centers. I've been seeing where they are bulldozing classic malls for these type of developments.

I would say something that needs to be looked at is partnering with GGP and tear down Sooner Mall. Replace it with the village center at UNP and relocate all the vendors there. Then take the existing Sooner Mall plot and redevelop it with a mix office/hospitality development.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    It is obviously the developer not being held to the standard Norman voters expected. I've been to parts of the country that are deep in the recession still, yet they are building very successful lifestyle/community/village/whatever centers. I've been seeing where they are bulldozing classic malls for these type of developments.

I would say something that needs to be looked at is partnering with GGP and tear down Sooner Mall. Replace it with the village center at UNP and relocate all the vendors there. Then take the existing Sooner Mall plot and redevelop it with a mix office/hospitality development.
    Is the mall not currently profitable?

Thread Information