Widgets Magazine
Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

1. Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I believe you that it is currently up. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen it up several weeks back, then removed shortly after. Maybe I just saw a banner or something.
    Not sure. This was actual signage put onto the stone. I haven't been by that area in several weeks so I am not 100%. The inside did not look to be close to done. No information I can find online yet either.

2. Default Re: University Town Center

I believe La Madeleine is now open.

Default Re: University Town Center

Saw this morning construction fence was up with PDQ coming soon sign. In the field just north of Tuckers.

Yes it is.

I saw dirt work happening south of Rock Creek. Is this the location of the Carmax?

5. Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    Yes it is.

I saw dirt work happening south of Rock Creek. Is this the location of the Carmax?
    Yep. Should be.

OU arena still has to jump through a few hoops

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record February 22, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – There are still several steps before the University of Oklahoma will have a new basketball arena along Interstate 35.

The university has been working with CallisonRTKL on a master plan for the land north of Rock Creek Road, along I-35 and south of W. Tecumseh Road. Part of the plan includes an entertainment district, with 150,000 square feet of restaurants and other venues, 100,000 square feet of office, a 225-room hotel, a 40,000-square-foot expo center, and a 10,000-seat basketball arena. But the site is in an existing tax increment finance district, which was created in 2006. That TIF district doesn’t include an arena or an expo center.

Norman City Attorney Jeff Bryant said the City Council would have to amend the existing TIF district to allow the change. The land south of Rock Creek includes hotels, retailers, and restaurants, but the northern land’s financing was for office, multifamily, and light industrial. If the city wanted to move forward with the arena, the TIF amount would have to be updated as well. The 2006 TIF was for $54.75 million. He said proposals for the additional tax increment money are between $50 million and $90 million. Additionally, the site’s planned unit development would need an update. Bryant said the TIF or PUD are not on any agendas at this time.

Center for Economic Development Law attorney Dan Batchelor has been working with CallisonRTKL on the TIF side. He said the firm is still evaluating the financing options.

“We see the potential for a wide-ranging set of opportunities here,” he said. “It could surely have a huge, potential positive impact for the city of Norman, but the nature and shape (of the project) requires a lot more careful consideration.”

CallisonRTKL’s Jeff Gunning gave a presentation about the entire development at the Commercial Real Estate Council’s annual forecast event, held Thursday in downtown Oklahoma City.

He showed single-family housing and multifamily, along with more office space on the 250-acre site. He said CallisonRTKL had been working with the foundation since 2000. He called the $140 million arena a catalyst for the entertainment area.

Gunning said Thursday that the University of Oklahoma was not yet 100 percent behind the project.

“They do want the arena there,” he said. “The athletic department wants it. There’s more proving out to be done.”

The entertainment district will be more focused on restaurants than stores, he said. There are plenty of stores on the south side of Rock Creek Road.

He said the next step is to bring in a master developer who could bring more developers to help with the project.

Norman Economic Development Coalition President and CEO Jason Smith said his board of directors sees the potential district as a way to keep young professionals in the city. He said young people are flocking to amenity-rich environments, so this could add to the city’s amenity options.

7. Default Re: University Town Center

Man, I really don't understand this whole arena thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Man, I really don't understand this whole arena thing.
    It's really baffling. OU has done such a tremendous job of growing the campus. To build an arena in this area that is poorly designed and bound to decay over time, is so strange. Don't you want students to be able to walk over to games?

9. Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    It's really baffling. OU has done such a tremendous job of growing the campus. To build an arena in this area that is poorly designed and bound to decay over time, is so strange. Don't you want students to be able to walk over to games?
    OU has the worst student section in the Big XII... I don't think moving the arena is going to make that any worse.

Heck... I almost see more students at the OU Hockey games than I ever saw when I was a season basketball ticket holder..... Ok... I might be exaggerating just slightly but I do see them at the hockey games at the Blazers Ice Center.

They don't walk now. For that matter they don't come by any means of conveyance. The thinking is more fans will come if there are more options before and after games. That in addition to easier access for those coming from the City. I have gone to all but one home game this year and I am speaking from first hand experience.

Of course students don’t walk to Lloyd Noble. That’s why they should actually build the arena on campus. The parking lot east of the football stadium and next to the track field would be a great location.

Of course students don’t walk to Lloyd Noble. That’s why they should actually build the arena on campus. The parking lot east of the football stadium and next to the track field would be a great location.
    Lnc is on campus

I've been saying this for years. Better to concentrate all of the athletic facilities in one area than have them all over the place. It would also be great for on-campus events.

I become to believe that this new site would be a good 10 to 15-year solution while the school tries to come up with a good on-campus plan.

I also very strongly believe that TIF (tax) dollars should not be funding this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I become to believe that this new site would be a good 10 to 15-year solution while the school tries to come up with a good on-campus plan.

I also very strongly believe that TIF (tax) dollars should not be funding this.
    What does the city do with the arena if/when OU decides to move back to campus? Does it become solely a concert or events venue? Does Norman have a need for a 8-10k seat venue?

A good case study for Norman to look at is Spirit Bank Arena in Bixby and how well it's doing..

http://www.tulsaworld.com/businessho...43208b23c.html

The arena would be owned by the private developer and I'm sure they would have a lease agreement with OU (and likely others) for an extended period which would probably come close to paying it off.

By then, even occasional use would be enough to keep it afloat.

I took some time before coming on board with moving the basketball arena, but came to believe the upsides outweighed staying at the LNC. An article in today's paper took a look at the non action since the arena plans were announced. Also an examination of TIF both the proposed and existing one are discussed. A must read for Normanites.
    http://www.normantranscript.com/news...266aa0b96.html

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    What does the city do with the arena if/when OU decides to move back to campus? Does it become solely a concert or events venue? Does Norman have a need for a 8-10k seat venue?

A good case study for Norman to look at is Spirit Bank Arena in Bixby and how well it's doing..

http://www.tulsaworld.com/businessho...43208b23c.html
    Comparing a town of 25k to Norman? I think Norman could quite easily use this arena for concerts, high school athletic events, govt./corporate bookings.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Lnc is on campus
    You know what I mean. LNC is completely disconnected from the main campus. Not many students will ever make the long walk to the LNC because of its unwalkability — it’s not useful, safe, comfortable, or interesting (see Speck’s definition).

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Comparing a town of 25k to Norman? I think Norman could quite easily use this arena for concerts, high school athletic events, govt./corporate bookings.
    101st & Memorial in Bixby is adjacent to Tulsa and has over 400k people in a 10 mile radius.

Real world experience of attending games and living here for 40 years leaves me skeptical of this idea. Student attendance at football games has been on the decline for years as well as for basketball. Basketball season runs through some of the coldest months in Oklahoma, and to think students will walk there because it is "safe and interesting" is wishful thinking. There are less and less students walking to the football stadium. There is no comfort in 30 degree weather for an 8 pm Tuesday night game. I really believe that you need to market the games more for the greater fan base than to locate the arena where a couple thousand (at best) might come.
    If you move it off campus, the adults in attendance can enjoy an adult beverage as well ( fan friendly amenity).

^

Not mention that their largest fanbase is in OKC and that move would shave a good chunk of time and hassle out of the trip.

I would certainly go more and I went to almost every single home game as a student and had season tickets for a long time after. I have zero affection for LNC and it just sits in a sea of asphalt with no connection to anything. Plus the facility itself is not purpose built for basketball and having gone to the newish 10K arena at USC, the difference is absolutely stunning and better in every possible way.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    101st & Memorial in Bixby is adjacent to Tulsa and has over 400k people in a 10 mile radius.
    And that population is rather affluent as well.

It is in the epicenter or the boomingest part of Tulsa at the moment. South Memorial in Tulsa is unrecognizable compared to just 10 years ago. I personally remember going to Starworld Theater when it was "out in the country".

HangryHippo Guest

Not mention that their largest fanbase is in OKC and that move would shave a good chunk of time and hassle out of the trip.
    This would make a huge difference for me and my friends. Plus, LNC just sucks.

^

Even for the student population, most students do not live on the campus itself.

Thread Information