Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 74 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161762 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    DSW Shoes would be a good addition. It seems like they are the only chain that keeps up with modern style and doesn't feel like a children's store. A shame the metro only has one location.

It's very frustrating that chains that are considered 'upscale' are almost never present here, and when they are there's usually just one location in the entire metro. And that we usually get these types of stores a few years after Tulsa.
    I would love to see a DSW in UNP.

Most of the dream businesses I have seen on this thread are IMO purely a dream.

2. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Does anybody think Old Navy would come to UNP and close their Sooner Mall location? Not saying it would happen. But I noticed Old Navy seems to be downsizing their stores. I was thinking maybe they would open a smaller store at UNP.
    All of Sooner Mall just needs to be relocated there. Create a much better concentration of retail to have the foot traffic to make it attractive to higher end retailers everyone wants. Then turn the old Sooner Mall location into high density housing and a business park.

Saw this idea before in this thread. Like it still.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    All of Sooner Mall just needs to be relocated there. Create a much better concentration of retail to have the foot traffic to make it attractive to higher end retailers everyone wants. Then turn the old Sooner Mall location into high density housing and a business park.
    Why, so UNP can be the Sooner Mall of 2030? A city shouldn't have to be recreated every 20 to 30 years. How about close up UNP and make all the buinesses move to Sooner Mall where all the city infrastructre already exist and is within walking distance of a large number of people. Then use the money saved on building improvements around UNP to build a streetcar from Sooner Mall to downtown Norman and OU - where it can connect to a regional transit system for greater OKC with connecting rail transit to Tulsa.

5. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Why, so UNP can be the Sooner Mall of 2030? A city shouldn't have to be recreated every 20 to 30 years. How about close up UNP and make all the buinesses move to Sooner Mall where all the city infrastructre already exist and is within walking distance of a large number of people. Then use the money saved on building improvements around UNP to build a streetcar from Sooner Mall to downtown Norman and OU - where it can connect to a regional transit system for greater OKC with connecting rail transit to Tulsa.
    Sooner Mall can't grow where it is. Physically it could always grow up I guess, but the infrastructure that already exists cannot handle the traffic in this area to make for a pleasant experience. The service road and mall roads are just poorly planned out and can make for a frustrating, and sometimes dangerous, experience when trying to exit mall property onto Main Street. Not to mention you have exiting interstate traffic merging in right as people are trying to go into the Mall.

Cities are recreated and re-purposed all the time. Bricktown is a testament to that, unless you are against that whole redevelopment project. The infrastructure is already in place now in UNP. The roads, utilities, and a new improved access ramp to I-35. So that is a non-issue since the layout is superior to the crammed in nature of Sooner Mall.

I don't get the "use the money saved on building improvements around UNP to build a streetcar" statement. That is just silly since the money being spent there now is mostly being done by the developers and business moving in, not the city. I would like to see a street car system involving UNP/Campus/Downtown/South Norman but that funding would come from a different source. Of course connecting to a light rail system to OKC won't happen until they get serious about wanting to do it.

6. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

I don't see why UNP and Sooner Mall can't coexist peacefully. If UNP could ever get its act together and truly design a lifestyle complex and lure top retail outlets, there would not be a problem. Sooner Mall can continue being the low to mid range stores (JCP, Sears, Old Navy types) and allow UNP to have the higher end ones such as Dillards, Nordstrom (I can always dream), Anthropology, Urban, and Banana Republic as a few simple examples. Of course UNP would have to lure many higher end stores that are seen elsewhere.

I mean if Columbus can support a center like this, then I truly do not understand why we wouldn't be able to do so.
    http://www.eastontowncenter.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easton_Town_Center

If the money spent at UNP had been applied to Sooner Mall then Norman would be way ahead of the game. As for bad traffic at Sooner Mall, what do you think UNP is going to be like in the future. Everyone going to UNP has to drive to get there. If you want to get rid of traffic get rid of the reason for traffic and provide alternatives to driving. Otherwise you are just moving the problem around, which cost money.

sooner mall is in very good shape and didn't need the money that was spend at UNP

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    If the money spent at UNP had been applied to Sooner Mall then Norman would be way ahead of the game. As for bad traffic at Sooner Mall, what do you think UNP is going to be like in the future. Everyone going to UNP has to drive to get there. If you want to get rid of traffic get rid of the reason for traffic and provide alternatives to driving. Otherwise you are just moving the problem around, which cost money.
    who said anything about UNP being built to get rid of traffic???? UNP was built to try and turn a bit of land that wasn't being used into a development area for businesses to come in and provide a new shopping area.

I remember before UNP ever broke ground all the rumors surrounding it. First we heard it was going to be the 5th largest mall in the country - something to create a real draw. Then we were told that it was going to be upscale shopping with a lifestyle center. I had high hopes for this development as everyone did. I jumped off the bandwagon when they started putting in run-of-the-mill stores. I was told by many on here to just be patient.

Well I've been patient. I drove by there just a couple of weeks ago and saw a tires plus. The businesses going in there are getting worse not better. What does that make? The third or fourth tire store in a two mile stretch? I believe I saw a nail salon in UNP at one point in time. Don't know if it's still there as that was quite a while ago. We've been sold a false bill of goods. The powers that be took a good parcel of land that could've have been something special and screwed it up. There's nothing in UNP that you can't get at any other strip mall in the greater metro area.

Just an upscale version of Choctaw's Town Center which will have a Wal-Mart. Funny how suburban developers use urbanism to attract public support, but then strip it out before it is built. Just think how popular these developments would be if they were urban in any possible way.

Have you been to Legacy Town just south of IKEA in Dallas? That place is amazingly urban. The have a bunch of ethnic restaurants, hotels, apartments, movie theater, and other services all in an urban environment. I stayed with a friend there and spent one day just hanging out in the little urban area.

If Dallas can do it, so can Norman and suburban OKC! We just need new developers that aren't stuck in the 70s and 80s and city council members that will stand up for what is promised as well as zoning laws that don't bend.

12. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Easton Town Center in Columbus, OH. Just sayin.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    Easton Town Center in Columbus, OH. Just sayin.
    This place, for a lifestyle center, is quite nice.

Looks like UNP is gaining momentum:

Projects at Norman's University North Park extend beyond retail | NewsOK.com

Moreover, I am glad for the improved transparency between the NEDC and the public. I wonder what aerospace company is brininging 400 jobs to Norman? These new jobs will be a game changer for Norman.

HangryHippo Guest

I wondered about the jobs hint as well. Says we should know by the end of October, but someone's got to know something already. Maybe Traber's Colostomy? He/She seems to be in the know...

Sounds great!

I was just discussing about how, outside of York, there is very little industry in Cleveland County relative to their population. I hope the company moving in isn't some company from another part of OKC.

The newsok.com article also states that HomeGoods and DSW are coming to the UNP. The wife is very happy.

18. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

All around some pretty good news finally coming out of UNP. The business park is going to be a huge catalyst I have a feeling. Would like to see them rebuild Rwy 17/35 to be the standard 150 ft width and around 8000 ft long. It would allow it to handle corporate traffic that needs the extra length to make longer distance flights, permit larger corporate jets, and also allow charter aircraft for OU games to go directly to Norman instead of KOKC. It also opens the doors for more aerospace growth and the ability for OU to entertain expanding is Aviation school.

The entire runway expansion can easily fit into the existing airport footprint without having to do anything to Robinson or Flood. The biggest change might be putting power lines underground around the airport.

HangryHippo Guest

Venture, have you heard anything about who this aviation company is that is supposedly coming to UNP?

20. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    All around some pretty good news finally coming out of UNP. The business park is going to be a huge catalyst I have a feeling. Would like to see them rebuild Rwy 17/35 to be the standard 150 ft width and around 8000 ft long. It would allow it to handle corporate traffic that needs the extra length to make longer distance flights, permit larger corporate jets, and also allow charter aircraft for OU games to go directly to Norman instead of KOKC. It also opens the doors for more aerospace growth and the ability for OU to entertain expanding is Aviation school.

The entire runway expansion can easily fit into the existing airport footprint without having to do anything to Robinson or Flood. The biggest change might be putting power lines underground around the airport.
    I don't know if a runway that long is even required at OUN. Larger corporate jets like the Gulfstream V can easily land/takeoff at OUN even today. Heck, there's one company that has even flown in one of its Dornier 328-100 turboprops, and that'sa full-size 32-seat passenger airplane (I've seen it landing there). Most corporate aircraft can safely operate with 5,200 feet of runway at OUN even when fully loaded (most like the Citations and Learjets don't even need 5,000 feet most of the time). Even three-engined Dassault Falcons can land and takeoff there. Unless you're talking about something like the Bombardier Global Express or the Lineage 1000 from Embraer (or the BBJ/ACJ types), but even they can do well with a runway length of 6,500 feet, which is much more probable for 17-35. Don't get me wrong, I would be pretty excited myself if a runway 8,000 feet long was present at OUN, just that I don't see the need for it given what types of aircraft regularly operate to/from the airfield.

Just my 2c. worth.

21. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    I don't know if a runway that long is even required at OUN. Larger corporate jets like the Gulfstream V can easily land/takeoff at OUN even today. Heck, there's one company that has even flown in one of its Dornier 328-100 turboprops, and that'sa full-size 32-seat passenger airplane (I've seen it landing there). Most corporate aircraft can safely operate with 5,200 feet of runway at OUN even when fully loaded (most like the Citations and Learjets don't even need 5,000 feet most of the time). Even three-engined Dassault Falcons can land and takeoff there. Unless you're talking about something like the Bombardier Global Express or the Lineage 1000 from Embraer (or the BBJ/ACJ types), but even they can do well with a runway length of 6,500 feet, which is much more probable for 17-35. Don't get me wrong, I would be pretty excited myself if a runway 8,000 feet long was present at OUN, just that I don't see the need for it given what types of aircraft regularly operate to/from the airfield.

Just my 2c. worth.
    We've also had the Embraer 145 at OUN before, but I doubt it was full. Yeah I was thinking thelarger Global Exp and the BBJ/ACJ jets if every needed. The reason I said 8000 feet is thanks to our summers here, aircraft would need some extra room to run under hot conditions. However during the winter it wouldn't be an issue. Heck I've seen a fully loaded 727 hauling cargo take off from a 5300' runway. Then of course there is Midway and their short runways. However those two places rarely get very hot like OK.

I'm more looking 10 years down the road though as the business park matures.

Approval by Council of new business park development and potential aerospace component. This on top of Legacy Park/drive construction work on 24th and recent openings of Valiance Bank, Chipotle, Starbucks, GNC, among other stores.

Legacy Park moves forward » Headlines » The Norman Transcript

Quote Originally Posted by Dekoung View Post
    I would love to see a DSW in UNP.
    In case you didn't see it in GWalker's post, you get your wish... DSW is coming to UNP:

A HomeGoods is also coming to UNP. Several new stores have already recently opened including Starbucks, GNC, Chipotle, EarthFruits Yogurt (I think), and Weight Watchers.

The newest development actually has a nice modern look to it, especially the new bank. I'll try to take some pictures of it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    In case you didn't see it in GWalker's post, you get your wish... DSW is coming to UNP:

A HomeGoods is also coming to UNP. Several new stores have already recently opened including Starbucks, GNC, Chipotle, EarthFruits Yogurt (I think), and Weight Watchers.

The newest development actually has a nice modern look to it, especially the new bank. I'll try to take some pictures of it soon.
    Article says announcement of those 400 new jobs to be announced by end of October? So maybe we'll hear something by Wednesday. I'm curious as to who it is.

Looks like they are finally moving forward with Legacy Park, office park, and advanced manufacturing center, good deal:

Legacy Park moves forward » Local news » The Norman Transcript

Thread Information