Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 984
  1. #226

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    It is all a mess though at this point. The question comes up soon...does Rosenthal get held responsible for the failure to lead or does she get a rubber stamp re-election?
    First I want to say I like the ideas you brought forth in your post. Creating the lifestyle center that we were promised across the street from the current development, and trying to relocate some existing businesses to it are an interesting idea that could cause a lot of 'synergy' to use a buzz word. On the flip side I would hate to see Sooner Mall to bite the dust as it really is quite a lovely mall. I suppose all developments in this state have a 'lifespan' though, and maybe it would be better to start thinking about what comes next for Sooner Mall rather than waiting for the bitter end.

    Now about the quoted text above... speaking only for myself I do intend to vote against Rosenthal if she comes up for re-election. But you know the person I really hold responsible is the City Manager. It's his full-time, professional job to think about everything we have been talking about here, and as far as I can tell, just by looking at our recent developments, he is not someone I want to see continue in that position. I'm just tired of the 'good enough' attitude that seems to permeate Norman. I will no longer vote for any councilor who expresses confidence in City Manager Steve Lewis.

  2. #227

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    A slowing economy actually benefits a walkable lifestyle center with on-site residential.

    Questor - I read every word you wrote and seems to be right on spot. I used to take offense to the 'okie don't know any better' but not anymore. A lot of them don't. Sadly, area developers don't know any better either so they just keep producing the same crap everytime. If you look at some old building you will see that the detail is on the upclose human scale. The closer you are to the building the more detail and uniqueness you can see. Modern developments all use manufactured materials so there is no variation at the human scale.
    I used to never say things like that, but I guess I view it kind of like "talking about mom" now. The family can talk about mom, but if you're not family, you don't get to talk about my mom.... We're all OK family here and just wanting to make it a better place. :-)

  3. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Perhaps a change to the city's charter needs to happen to eliminate the City Manager form of government and go to a Strong Mayor form? That way we the voters can have direct say on who essentially holds most of the power in the city. If the mayor screws up, they are out on their ear. If they do a good job, enjoy the next 4 years.

  4. #229

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Perhaps a change to the city's charter needs to happen to eliminate the City Manager form of government and go to a Strong Mayor form? That way we the voters can have direct say on who essentially holds most of the power in the city. If the mayor screws up, they are out on their ear. If they do a good job, enjoy the next 4 years.
    Venture, the city manager system has worked well for OKC and the strong mayor system not so well for Tulsa.

  5. #230

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    fwiw, a strong mayor system can be great, provided folks elect the right person as mayor.
    But when the sheeple buy into a fox for their hen house ....

  6. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Venture, the city manager system has worked well for OKC and the strong mayor system not so well for Tulsa.
    Like Kevin stated, it is all about who you get in. My home town is a strong major system. The first mayor elected under it was amazing and did a ton to revitalize a town in desperate need. Since then have been nothing but weak yes men. However if our problem is going to be the City Manager position, then they need to be accountable to the voters.

  7. #232

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Like Kevin stated, it is all about who you get in. My home town is a strong major system. The first mayor elected under it was amazing and did a ton to revitalize a town in desperate need. Since then have been nothing but weak yes men. However if our problem is going to be the City Manager position, then they need to be accountable to the voters.

    Isn't the City Manager hired by the city council which is elected by the voters? That certainly gives a chain of accountability.

  8. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Isn't the City Manager hired by the city council which is elected by the voters? That certainly gives a chain of accountability.
    Oh i'm not disagreeing with you there, but maybe more direct insight is needed. Since the mayor and council don't always seems to listen to what the voters want.

  9. #234

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Oh i'm not disagreeing with you there, but maybe more direct insight is needed. Since the mayor and council don't always seems to listen to what the voters want.
    And that applies to all elected officials. LOL

  10. #235

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    I noticed construction has started on another building just north of the banks. It looks like it will hold four to six stores. Does anyone know what is being built?

  11. #236

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by G22 View Post
    I noticed construction has started on another building just north of the banks. It looks like it will hold four to six stores. Does anyone know what is being built?
    From post # 175: "Select Comfort (cause we need 3 mattress stores in this area), GNC, and Weight Watchers."

  12. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    From post # 175: "Select Comfort (cause we need 3 mattress stores in this area), GNC, and Weight Watchers."
    Weight Watchers in a shopping center you have to drive to. Sorry, just had to point that out.

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...lth/55162620/1

  13. #238

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Weight Watchers in a shopping center you have to drive to. Sorry, just had to point that out.

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...lth/55162620/1
    Well, on the bright side, since folks are gonna drive anyway, they won't feel out of place pulling into Sonic next ot me for those 2 fer 1 summer priced real ice cream shakes (which are pretty dang good even at full price, but are oh so much better when they are 2 fer 1 come evening time.)
    Last edited by kevinpate; 05-28-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: forgot the )

  14. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Downing 2000 calories from a car seat. How could that possibly be bad for you? It is a good thing everyone has to have health insurance now because these people would never be able to afford it on their own.

  15. #240

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    2000 calories? well, sure, iffin ya wimp out and dbl down on the smaller ones I suppose. But hey, what's a 2 fer shake without some tots?

    Enjoy the bike ride from the balmy florida subdivision to the local c-store and oh, yeah, if it's chilly, stay with a sweater and skip the hoodie. Might be healthier than me skipping the spare shake or some of the tots.

  16. #241

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Suburban living is extremely unhealthy. I live it every day.

    I drive to work, the store. To get food. Everything.

    I even drive to the park to exercise, even though it is literally across the street (the trail in the park is 200 direct feet from my back door), but the subdivision with it's walls and winding streets places it at a 2 mile round trip jog (just to get to/from) not to mention crossing a 4 lane 45mph city street with no breaks in traffic. I work out at my house, then get in my car, drive a mile to jog 1 1/2 miles around the track, do some pushups, situps, etc., then drive home. Something is wrong with this picture.

    If I lived downtown, I would still drive to work (my profession wouldn't work with public transit unless it ran at 3am). But I would be able to walk to the store (assuming we had one), walk to the park, walk to the restaurants, entertainment, etc. Or I could ride a bike to all of those (also exercise). I would cut my automobile usage from 14-18 trips a day I take down to 4 or 5 at the absolute most.

    I am a suburbanite and I hate it.

  17. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Catch 22, I am trapped in suburbia just as you are and I get sicker of it every day. I about lost it last week when we decided to replace our fence. Nothing makes me madder than having to drive my pickup to get items for my yard, when I don't even want the yard. My wife would probably have to have me sedated if I drove to my work-out. Plus I would love to have back the $5,000 we just spent getting the house painted.

  18. #243

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Why would a 5 story apartment building in downtown Norman be out of the question? Why canít an existing 1 or 2 story building canít be razed to make way for such an apartment building? Why does downtown Norman, or any historic downtown, have to remain in a perpetual state of suspended development? Who decided downtown Norman shouldn't continue to develop and when did they decide this? Did the Norman City Council pass a resolution that said downtown has developed enough and all new development should occur elsewhere?
    You may be interested in what comes of this.


    http://newsok.com/discussion-series-...rticle/3681722

  19. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Just the facts, if you hate suburban living so much, why not moving into urban apartments? There are options out there.

    Homeownership sounds more like your issue though. If you don't enjoy the responsibilty of maintenance that comes with it, there's always the option to rent...or go to an apartment. But if you want the freedom to do with your home what you wish, you also have to take the responsibilty to maintain it. I just replaced a fence in my yard not long ago as well. Can't say I enjoyed putting it back up and i'm about to paint my house on my own as well. It's not fun, but it goes with the territory. I wouldn't give it up to be stuck in any urban living environment though. I enjoy my yard...much more than a greenspace would provide me.

    To each his own, but you do choose where you live.

  20. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    You may be interested in what comes of this.


    http://newsok.com/discussion-series-...rticle/3681722
    Thanks for that link and I look forward to hearing the outcomes of these meetings. I really wish I was there to attend. 100 units per acre is pretty high and for the city to state that they are getting mutiple requests is very promising.

  21. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Just the facts, if you hate suburban living so much, why not moving into urban apartments? There are options out there.

    Homeownership sounds more like your issue though. If you don't enjoy the responsibilty of maintenance that comes with it, there's always the option to rent...or go to an apartment. But if you want the freedom to do with your home what you wish, you also have to take the responsibilty to maintain it. I just replaced a fence in my yard not long ago as well. Can't say I enjoyed putting it back up and i'm about to paint my house on my own as well. It's not fun, but it goes with the territory. I wouldn't give it up to be stuck in any urban living environment though. I enjoy my yard...much more than a greenspace would provide me.

    To each his own, but you do choose where you live.
    I hear what you are saying Bomber and believe me, if I could sell my house I would have done it by now. I had to spend $463 on Monday to replace a broken garage door spring and some other worn out parts. Do you have any idea how much I hate spending 5 Benjamins to open a garage door that houses a car I don't even want I did the math awhile back. If we moved to downtown OKC we could live there simply on the money we save by moving there. Think about that for a moment.

    On the plus side, we have had two unsolicted inquires to rent our house from people who live in exurbia and can't afford to keep driving back into town for everything.

  22. #247

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    The new interest in multifamily housing is being driven mainly by economics and not by individual preferences. The new interest in multifamily housing comes primarily from individuals unable to purchase housing because they have a low credit score and/or do not have the 20% down payment necessary to buy a house. Hence, these people are forced into the rental market. That helps explain why Just the Facts received two rental offers on his house. I would further note the demand for multifamily housing is primarily for units with two or more bedrooms. Demand for single bedroom units is low because many young single people (the primary market for one bedroom units) are moving back with their parents instead of renting due to the economy.

  23. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by vaflyer View Post
    The new interest in multifamily housing is being driven mainly by economics and not by individual preferences. The new interest in multifamily housing comes primarily from individuals unable to purchase housing because they have a low credit score and/or do not have the 20% down payment necessary to buy a house. Hence, these people are forced into the rental market. That helps explain why Just the Facts received two rental offers on his house. I would further note the demand for multifamily housing is primarily for units with two or more bedrooms. Demand for single bedroom units is low because many young single people (the primary market for one bedroom units) are moving back with their parents instead of renting due to the economy.
    I've always said economics is going to force the issue - and just not on this subject.

  24. #249

    Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    ...On the plus side, we have had two unsolicted inquires to rent our house from people who live in exurbia and can't afford to keep driving back into town for everything.
    If they seem dependable, and if you can sell the missus on it, it would appear a higher power (or dumb luck if someone prefers the notion) may be offering you a door to walk through toward a different path for your life. Then again, maybe they were just trying to case the joint. These things can be tricky sometimes.

  25. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    If they seem dependable, and if you can sell the missus on it,...
    That is the big concern. I am not real fond of putting my eggs in someone elses basket. If they don't come through we would be screwed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. North Park Mall
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 11:08 PM
  2. University North Park Updates
    By dismayed in forum Suburban & Other OK Communities
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 06:48 PM
  3. Couch Park update!
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 09:23 AM
  4. Construction to begin on Stiles Park monument
    By Luke in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 12:56 AM
  5. OKC opens new park in 20 years
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 03:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO