Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ‘green’ the city

Default Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ‘green’ the city

Default Re: Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ‘green’ the city

Awesome. I'm stoked to hear about the following.

A bike-share program downtown will allow people to walk up, swipe a credit or debit card and take a bicycle for up to a two-mile trip. It would be free for the first hour, with a small charge for each additional hour.

“We could see a downtown worker, for example, taking a bicycle to Bricktown for lunch,” Radle said.

Three new recycling drop-offs will be added to augment existing drop-offs, with two in downtown and one in rural Ward 4.

Default Re: Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ‘green’ the city

Cool idea and I hope it works...but as a downtown worker in the demographic that would use this, I wouldn't in the context of the quote. MOST downtown workers won't/can't ride a bike in a suit and on top of that come back to the office sweating.
    I would definitely use something like this after hours or weekends but not during the day to go to Bricktown and back.
    I think the streetcars are finally going to be the missing piece to get downtown workers into B-town during lunch.
    Are these bike-shares connected to Midtown/Automobile Alley/Film Row too? I think those are the places that bike riders would want to take a bike b/c 95% of people don't want to walk those distances but those places have so much to offer.

Reduced glare streetlamps...can't see the milky way anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Awesome. I'm stoked to hear about the following.
    The program in Tulsa has worked modestly at best - the racks have signs asking for help identifying people that have taken the bikes without return and I rarely ever see any of the pink bikes out on Riverside. I'd be curious to see what improvements would need to be made to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCornett View Post
    Cool idea and I hope it works...but as a downtown worker in the demographic that would use this, I wouldn't in the context of the quote. MOST downtown workers won't/can't ride a bike in a suit and on top of that come back to the office sweating.
    I would definitely use something like this after hours or weekends but not during the day to go to Bricktown and back.
    I think the streetcars are finally going to be the missing piece to get downtown workers into B-town during lunch.
    Are these bike-shares connected to Midtown/Automobile Alley/Film Row too? I think those are the places that bike riders would want to take a bike b/c 95% of people don't want to walk those distances but those places have so much to offer.
    Casey, I think you'll be surprised on who would use them. I've rode a bike DT in a suit many times, even in summer. Heck, your dad was even there when us at Urban Neighbors dedicated our bike racks and several of us were wearing suits on bikes. We're talking leisurely rides to BT or across DT for lunch, not a 30 mile bike race. You'd sweat more walking to BT or a few blocks than riding a bike at a leisurely pace creating your own breeze. I do agree though that when we get the streetcars most will ditch the bikes in favor of the streetcar, however hopefully tourists will like to use them to ride to attractions, etc. Also as the article stated, it sounds like Midtown is getting at least 1 of these bike-share racks. I am ASSUMING it will be at Plaza Court, or nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestarstatesux View Post
    The program in Tulsa has worked modestly at best - the racks have signs asking for help identifying people that have taken the bikes without return and I rarely ever see any of the pink bikes out on Riverside. I'd be curious to see what improvements would need to be made to make it work.
    DT Tulsa is DEAD compared to OKC, especially if you're talking streetlife, walkability, connectivity, etc. You're comparing apples and oranges. Also, does Tulsa's program work the same way where you have to swipe your credit card? I imagine they get charged for the bike on their credit card if they don't return it in "x" amount of hours, at least I'm assuming that is how OKC's will work based on the article and other bike shares in other cities.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ‘green’ the city

2 things in that article sound completely idiotic to me, which makes me think the rest of the plan for this money isn't well thought-out:

1. “We could see a downtown worker, for example, taking a bicycle to Bricktown for lunch,” Radle said.

2. $320,000 for three staff members in the Office of Sustainability

Couldn't you just use a credit card to rent a bike? No charge for the first hour or two. But if you return it late, you're charged a late fee. If you never return it, you're charged the cost of the bike.

Use the movie rental system.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    2 things in that article sound completely idiotic to me, which makes me think the rest of the plan for this money isn't well thought-out:

1. “We could see a downtown worker, for example, taking a bicycle to Bricktown for lunch,” Radle said.

2. $320,000 for three staff members in the Office of Sustainability
    Explain...

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Couldn't you just use a credit card to rent a bike? No charge for the first hour or two. But if you return it late, you're charged a late fee. If you never return it, you're charged the cost of the bike.

Use the movie rental system.
    This is how they typically work, and the article stated they'd have to swipe a credit or debit card.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ‘green’ the city

This is how they typically work, and the article stated they'd have to swipe a credit or debit card.
    pre-paid debit cards would be perfect for stealing the bikes then.

True. I wonder if that would work, though. I've heard that you can't use pre-paid cards in a Redbox.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ‘green’ the city

Explain...
    well for the bike part, there's a number of reasons..

Someone already pointed out the fact that lots of suit-wearing DT workers won't want to get sweaty, ruin pant legs, etc..

Yes, I know there are dedicated bike riders who already wear suits while bike-riding, which means they probably already ride a bike to work, own the necessary safety equipment(helmet, vest) have the leg cuff things to keep pant legs from fouling the chain, and whatever else a bike rider typically needs. The average joe isn't going to have all that stuff on-hand to just do a spur-of-the-moment lunchtime ride to BT..

I also don't think the bikes will last more than a month due to vandalism, theft and routine damage.

They have to be maintained for safety reasons, and I'm sure there will be some sort of liability insurance cost the city will have to pay to cover damages caused by mechanical failures or cover the expenses of jackasses who get on them and immediately crash into other vehicles.

As for the $320k for three new staff positions? Why? Why would anyone need to be hired to oversee this one-time 5.4 million payment? Isn't this part of the city manager's job? If not, fine, but $320k????? for 3 people?

My guess is that the kiosk will authorize a certain purchase (the cost of the bike) on the card, so that in the event that the bike is not returned, the kiosk will know the money is there to charge, charge it and be done. I'm sure theft is built into the equation though.

Pink bikes... I'm no marketing major but I bet this has something to do with the modest success. I wouldn't ride a pink bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    Pink bikes... I'm no marketing major but I bet this has something to do with the modest success. I wouldn't ride a pink bike.
    I was thinking the same.

Pink bikes? .........No thanks I'll walk.

Maybe we can get them with handle streamers too?

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    I was thinking the same.

Pink bikes? .........No thanks I'll walk.

Maybe we can get them with handle streamers too?
    They are pink because they were donated by St. Francis Hospital and their signature color is pink. The bike stations aren't downtown but along the river trails. TU also has a similar program with yellow bikes. Some of the problems with the program are outlined in this Urban Tulsa article: Not Down with Tulsa Townies - Borrow-a-bike program looks good on paper, if not on pedal - News - City, State, County, Education - Urban Tulsa Weekly Maybe OKC can see what about Tulsa's program needs improving and create a better system.

How many bicycle stations will the city be getting?? They should consider putting a bicycle rental station at Boathouse Row.. That would be perfect, rent the bike for an hour or two and ride along the river. The city should definitely think about it anyways..

So everyone's going goo goo gah gah over this but no one wants to mention the $5.4 million is coming from the federal stimulus funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act which Obama signed into law. Don't mean to rile everyone up but if certain members are going to spew their poison over Obama and stay silent when his agenda benefits OKC, well that's just hypocritcal.

As for the $320k for three new staff positions? Why? Why would anyone need to be hired to oversee this one-time 5.4 million payment? Isn't this part of the city manager's job? If not, fine, but $320k????? for 3 people?
    That's not really that outrageous. The money is not just for salary. Benefits, workers' comp, etc. add to the base.

While I can appreciate that it covers benefits too, a 6 figure "salary" seems extreme and a tad ironic/oxymoronic since it is for the "Office of Sustainability"...LOL...how the heck to you sustain that salary?

Never mind, I'm not going to complain about it, where do I fill out the job application?

Someone already pointed out the fact that lots of suit-wearing DT workers won't want to get sweaty, ruin pant legs, etc..

Yes, I know there are dedicated bike riders who already wear suits while bike-riding, which means they probably already ride a bike to work, own the necessary safety equipment(helmet, vest) have the leg cuff things to keep pant legs from fouling the chain, and whatever else a bike rider typically needs. The average joe isn't going to have all that stuff on-hand to just do a spur-of-the-moment lunchtime ride to BT..

I also don't think the bikes will last more than a month due to vandalism, theft and routine damage.

They have to be maintained for safety reasons, and I'm sure there will be some sort of liability insurance cost the city will have to pay to cover damages caused by mechanical failures or cover the expenses of jackasses who get on them and immediately crash into other vehicles.

Fuzzy, this works in many cities especially in Europe. Why shouldn't it work here? Do we have more thieves and vandals than other cities?

23. Default Re: Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ‘green’ the city

Does any of the $320K go towards things like...i dunno...office space, employment taxes, utilities, transportation if they need to provide any, supplies, etc.?

I've already debunked that in my post before you posted these concerns. These are cruiser type bicycles, not street touring bikes or mountain bikes. Geez, people you act like it's running a marathon to leisurely ride a block a few bikes. I don't wear all this protective gear and get special suit wearing rider gear, I know several people who leisurely ride DT in dress clothing on a regular and non-regular basis. I think/hope you all will be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson410 View Post
    How many bicycle stations will the city be getting?? They should consider putting a bicycle rental station at Boathouse Row.. That would be perfect, rent the bike for an hour or two and ride along the river. The city should definitely think about it anyways..
    As the article stated, 3 stations, 1 might go to Midtown. Probably a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    That's not really that outrageous. The money is not just for salary. Benefits, workers' comp, etc. add to the base.
    Exactly, not to mention office space, utilities, insurance, benefits, and who knows, maybe that money is for multiple years of salary, not just one year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    While I can appreciate that it covers benefits too, a 6 figure "salary" seems extreme and a tad ironic/oxymoronic since it is for the "Office of Sustainability"...LOL...how the heck to you sustain that salary?

Never mind, I'm not going to complain about it, where do I fill out the job application?
    See answer above. This city is way behind the times with just now getting an office of Sustainability. You act as if they just oversee bike racks that "won't be used" according to most of you. It goes far beyond that, and frankly, this City is embarrasing and way behind the times on a sustainability level. I'm thankful we've seen a big push for sustainability this last year, but still have miles to go and are playing catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Does any of the $320K go towards things like...i dunno...office space, employment taxes, utilities, transportation if they need to provide any, supplies, etc.?

Exactly, see my above answer.

25. Default Re: Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ‘green’ the city

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Fuzzy, this works in many cities especially in Europe. Why shouldn't it work here? Do we have more thieves and vandals than other cities?
    It doesn't work in Tulsa

Thread Information